Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Cranks but won't start!!

Old 03-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
derick82
Flint, MI
2002 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Cranks but won't start!!

Alright, I'm hoping one of you amazing guys (and girls) can help me out. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer with the 4.6L V6 that out of the blue won't start. It has been running fine, no problems whatsoever, tonight I got in it to go to the store and it cranks but will not start. I can hear the fuel pump running, but just to be sure I removed the plastic "beauty cover" from the engine so I could access the fuel rail. When I depressed the schrader valve I had fuel pressure. I relieved all the pressure then cycled the pump a few times, pressed the valve again and it was re-pressurized. This tells me that I have fuel and am getting pressure however I don't have a gauge so I can't be positive on the PSI. I tried resetting the fuel cut off switch also just to be safe. It's late, dark, cold and I'm frustrated so i'll give it a set of fresh eyes in the morning. In the meantime any and all suggestions will be appreciated. Also, thought I'd mention that I have only had this car about 3 months so I do not know anything about it's maintenance history and it did not come with a warranty so this is all on me. Thanks all!!
derick82 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Got fuel pressure, likely enough of it, so spark suspected next, yes? Pull of a plug wire, stick a plastic-handled screwdriver in the boot, hold shank within 1/4" of a grounded part, have someone crank engine a few turns, watch for spark. Be careful.

Let us know result. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: