95 X 4.0, engine tick, stalling, oil additive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 X 4.0, engine tick, stalling, oil additive?

BobbyBobo

Reaction score
My high mileage 95 4.0 has an engine tick (sounds like valvetrain, could be wrong). My buddy says it's common for this motor. It comes and go, and seems to be more noticeable when cold. I'm basically just wondering what info anyone here may have on this.

I'm not too awful worried about the tick, but it got me to thinking of oil treatments/additives that sometimes get rave reviews. Has anyone tried any of this stuff like Auto RX, Seafoam, etc? Any thoughts on that stuff?

Also my truck has some idle issues. The main issue is with the a/c on, I assume the increased load magnifies the problem. While sitting with the a/c on, I can turn the wheel and it feels like the engine is going to stall. Also it has stalled while driving with the a/c on. It happened at around 40-45 mph where I think it shifted into OD and the rpm's got low as I decelerated. I cleaned the IAC (and the little filters behind the black cap), but this hasn't seemed to help. My idle may be a bit worse now :eek:

Back