Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT) Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch

Notices

2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT) Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer In Vehicle Technology (IVT). Sync, MFT - MyFord Touch issues, and problems, navigation, back up camera, bluetooth, DVD, cell phone, Sony, Sirius, key fob, keyless entry, BLISS, voice commands, etc.

Bottom USB port only charges

Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Asystole
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Bottom USB port only charges

2013 Ex Limited has two USB ports arranged vertically. The top one charges connected devices and reads whatever phones or storage devices I connect to it.

The bottom USB port, however, will only charge devices. It does not read any device I connect to it. I scoured the manual and there is no mention of differing functionality between the two ports.

Anybody have same issue or can verify this as well before I call the dealer? Thank you.
Asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asystole View Post
2013 Ex Limited has two USB ports arranged vertically. The top one charges connected devices and reads whatever phones or storage devices I connect to it.

The bottom USB port, however, will only charge devices. It does not read any device I connect to it. I scoured the manual and there is no mention of differing functionality between the two ports.

Anybody have same issue or can verify this as well before I call the dealer? Thank you.
I use both ports for charging and connectivity with no issue, sounds like you there is a problem with the pins or wiring on the bottom port for you
w1kedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
jwkessel
Monroe, WA
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:

I use the bottom port on my 2013 Ex Limited for my iphone and it both charges and connects just like the top port.
jwkessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
Asystole
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you
Asystole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #5
bamacommander
FLORIDA
2013 XLT FORD EXPLORER

Vehicle Specs

When I try to charge my phone using the USB port I get a pop up that will not go away saying the phone is consuming too much power and the Sync could fail. This pop up comes up by just plugging in the cord with no phone attached. I have had my 2013 for 2 weeks and the MFT has been an absolute nightmare. It is always rebooting, the nav only works when it wants to. I have had all sorts of problems and the car doesn't even have 1000 miles. PIECE OF JUNK.
bamacommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
^ Have you tried a different charging cable?

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
w1kedz
Unregistered
Los Angeles, CA
'11 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacommander View Post
When I try to charge my phone using the USB port I get a pop up that will not go away saying the phone is consuming too much power and the Sync could fail. This pop up comes up by just plugging in the cord with no phone attached. I have had my 2013 for 2 weeks and the MFT has been an absolute nightmare. It is always rebooting, the nav only works when it wants to. I have had all sorts of problems and the car doesn't even have 1000 miles. PIECE OF JUNK.
Sounds like a bad cable, and/or bad entertainment hub in the Explorer. This is not one of the common issues people are having, and till you posted it (in numerous threads) I've never seen it before. If this is your only problem, then it's an easy fix. Try a different cable, if you still have the symptom then the dealer should be able to replace the entertainment hub and/or the apim.
w1kedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:

Asystole,

Have you by chance tried connecting a USB flash drive with music on it to the bottom port? I'm curious if it will read that. Besides trying a different device and cable, I suggest contacting your dealer to get the bottom port looked at. You should be able to use both ports for for charging and media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacommander View Post
Bamacomander,

Which phone do you have and has it been jail broken in any way? I've come across this message before (it's rare). The person I was talking with had an iPhone 4s and their battery life was very short. He would get this message on the MFT and sometimes a similar message on his phone. He took it to his phone provider, swapped out his phone, and he hasn't received the message since. BTW, his phone wasn't jail broken.

As far as your NAV concerns, when it's not working, what is/isn't it doing?

Rebecca

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: