Trying to tune up my 2003 ford explorer 6 cyl 4.0 xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to tune up my 2003 ford explorer 6 cyl 4.0 xlt

Edon

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys i am fairly new to this and probably this question has been asked before but i was wondering if anyone can help and explain to me how to do a full tune up to my car and what i need or should i just take it to the mechanic i am pretty good with fixing and doing things but i need some guidance. Thanx in advance. All the help is appreciated bc I am currently low on cash to take it to mechanics lol. Thanx again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you do a search in this forum you will find all the answers you are looking for but normally a tune up is replace Spark Plugs, Spark Plug wires, Fuel Filter, Air filter, New Oil and Filter, Maybe some fuel system cleaner and depending on the mileage checking/replacing differential, and transfer case fluid. If you really get into it you can also flush/replace radiator/coolant and transmission fluid and filter. Good Luck with your tune up:burnout:

Thank you mad. Helps a lot

I recently did a tune-up on mine (02 Mountaineer AWD V6). The fuel filter is a b***h to get off. I finally gave up and brought it somewhere and paid $20 to have it replaced. I even had the correct tool to remove it and still couldn't get it disconnected. Other than that, everything else was pretty easy to do. I removed my fuel injectors and soaked them in Seafoam over night as opposed to using a fuel injector cleaner through the gas tank.

Back