Why Would The Capacitors In My ECC Blow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why Would The Capacitors In My ECC Blow?

Big_Stig352

Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Limited
took it out one night, really rough with her, now all 3 of them are blown, ones really bad, ones not that bad, and ones just starting to go. should i check my wiring harness or do you think they were just old and couldent handle being at full throttle that long? i just want to know before i buy a new ecc. i really dont want to have to buy another one because there is a short.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Too much flux?

Most likely it's just age. And from what I've heard you'll never find a "New" one all the ones are refurbished and basically they replace the caps as they are usually the first things to go.

Age is a pretty good bet, I agree. See if you can find a local repair shop to replace them... should be considerably cheaper than a new computer.

There are 2 other potential causes for an electrolytic capacitor to fail... over-voltage, and application of AC voltage. Both are alternator issues, but 95% of my money is on age.

electrolytics do go bad. Buy the same Microfarod cap but maybe if these are 16V Caps, buy 25V. If there is room for a wider cap.

So I Got A New ECC Off Of Craigs List, Pluged It In, Fires Right Up, Only Thing Though, The CEL Is On And Its Giving Me A Few Strange Codes, A)My Inertia Switch Is Activated B)MAF Sensor Out Of Range, I Know The Inertia Switch Is Fine, And I Never Got The MAF Code Before, Could It Be That The Computer Is From A 91 And Not A 93? Is There Going To Be Any Other Adverse Reactions?

That's most likely the problem. They changed several things in 93 to comply with stricter emmisions, IIRC. See if you can find a 93 one or a 94 might work too.

I Cant Touch One That Is Actually For 93 For Under A Few Hundred Bucks, And Because I Just Quit My Job, That Aint Going To Happen, Im Aware Of The Power Bump Between 92-93. Is There Anyway I Can Just Swap Bits From The Original ECC?

Back