2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Blinker / turn signal...am I the only one??

bluex232

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok, maybe its cuz I'm a girl and my hands are small, but with the blinker on the 2013 (and maybe previous models, not sure because I have never driven them) it has the two "settings" for lack of a better word...half way pushed and it blinks 3 times and then you actually click it up/down and it stays on until you turn... Am I the only one that flashes my brights at people all the time trying to turn it all the way on!! LOL. I have only had it a couple of weeks and I LOVE my Explorer, but I'm sure half the town is always wondering why I am flashing my brights at them, LOL!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lol, you are not the only one, and it's not because you are a girl. I did that numerous times last night driving the Ex around. Funny thing is, my wife didn't do it once.

Happy driving :)

Nope - not just you. I do it too. 2 weeks old today and I just am not a fan of this blinker. But I'll get used to it - it's just different from my mini-van.

:)

Lol, I am glad I am not the only one. I like the option of the two "settings", on my last car I was in the habit of just holding the blinker half way down for a few seconds for a lane change or whatever. So it's nice to not have to hold the blinker down...but the Explorer takes more force than my car to get the blinker on all the way, lol. Oh well, I guess I will continue :bsnicker: "Flashing" the whole town until I get used to it. :D

I've had mine a few days and have flashed a couple of times already.

I have had mine now for 2 months, just about to clear 10K. I confess it takes a while to get used too. however, as most of my driving is interstate, I like the 3 flash option, when I remember.

I wanna flash people too! Lol

10 days

Nope - not just you. I do it too. 2 weeks old today and I just am not a fan of this blinker. But I'll get used to it - it's just different from my mini-van.

:)
I've had mine just over a year and I still don't like the turn signal system setup. I like the 3 blinks although I think 4 or 5 wouold have been better. The turn signal lever just doesn't have the same feel that I'm used to.
The lever doesn't stay in the down position (left turn) or up position (right turn). It always goes back to the normal rest position. I also find that once the signal is activated, it doesn't turn off as quickly as others I've had. It almost appears that if you don't do a complete 90 degree turn, the signal won't cancel.
Also I haven't had the flashing problem. I guess being 65 it isn't too exciting.;)

Peter

I think 4 or 5 wouold have been better.

The lever doesn't stay in the down position (left turn) or up position (right turn). It always goes back to the normal rest position.

I agree, I think 3 is too few. Doing a lane change, I find myself hitting it twice.

When I test drove my Ex, I thought the blinker was broken, I kept pushing it down and it kept going back to middle. I couldn't understand it....Never had a car that didn't stay down or up. I kept pushing on it harder and harder trying to get it to stick thinking I was missing something.

Me too, but i also have this deal, i turn left onto my street and right after i make the turn i have to keep turning left into my driveway, most of the time the blinker will not go off when i am finished parking in the garage...

You are not the only one that does thi.

Now try having you wipers keep going on when you change gears from park.

Old driving habits are hard to break when you have been use to a gear sellecter on the wheel colume.

You are not the only one that does thi.

Now try having you wipers keep going on when you change gears from park.

Old driving habits are hard to break when you have been use to a gear sellecter on the wheel colume.

it's a wonder more of us dont

biker%20launched%20to%20rear%20window%20of%20car.gif

It must be similar with the newer Fords. When my girlfriend drives our 2011 Fiesta, shes ALWAYS flashing the brights when she turns the blinkers on, or vice versa, always activating the "3 blink" when she turns the brights on.

I've never had any problems....no accidental high beam flashes or issues with the blink duration and/or having it shut off automatically.....

I agree. It has got to be Ford's new blinker lever design. My 2010 Fusion too, does this. Very easy to accidentally flash people. It seems the way it's designed is that your fingers, as they push the blinker lever down tend to:

1. Pull the lever back (this just flashes people)
2. Push the lever forward (for those who drive with headlights on - high beams turn on)

I do both.

Both ways are by accident because there's not enough catch or resistance there to prevent the high beams from being mostly flashed (lever pulled) or sometimes activated (lever pushed). There needs to be more catch / resistance to require more effort in order to flash high beams and a "click" noise to signal the driver when that effort requirement has been met. I just hope those on here who are with Ford hear this and relay the message to the engineers.

It's the little things.:D

What is interesting though is that Europe has a different driving dynamic. While driving, if you flash somebody (to pass them) in Europe, from what I understand, they get over, most of the time. Therefor, it's probably made easier to flash high beams for some euro-designed cars - like the fiesta, new focus, new upcoming fusion, freestyle/territory au (yes, they're different but, If I'm right, vehicle was built for both front and rear drive platforms [different underpinnings])

While driving, if you flash somebody (to pass them) in America, ya get shot or cut off or run off the road or..........

My new F-350 flashes 3 times for a lane change, If I'm pulling my 40ft 5er the lane change flashes 5 times

Ya took me to a bit to get used to it to but all is good now. :)

I've not had the issue of accidentally flashing the high beams, BUT I have had issues trying to have turn signals blink for more than 3 times... easy to get the 3-blink, but I get resistance trying to turn turn signal on fully.

Good to know there are so many others doing this as well, lol!!

@cnsheets I also thought the blinker was not working right when I test drove it and my fiance was giving me crap for not knowing how to work the blinker, lol!!! After we got back the first thing the sales guy told us about was the blinker, lol.

@peterk9 Yes it is weird that the blinker doesn't stay down, and I have noticed it does click a couple of extra clicks after you complete a turn. I also kept thinking it wasnt going off, but have gotten used to that now.

@leFurg I wish people would get out of the way in America when you flashed them...that would really reduce my road rage!! :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had mine just over a year and I still don't like the turn signal system setup. I like the 3 blinks although I think 4 or 5 wouold have been better. The turn signal lever just doesn't have the same feel that I'm used to.
The lever doesn't stay in the down position (left turn) or up position (right turn). It always goes back to the normal rest position. I also find that once the signal is activated, it doesn't turn off as quickly as others I've had. It almost appears that if you don't do a complete 90 degree turn, the signal won't cancel.
Also I haven't had the flashing problem. I guess being 65 it isn't too exciting.;)

Peter

Although 10'years younger, and 13k on the EX I find the turning signal over engineered and not very practical. I find I don't trust the turn signal to shut itself off even though I have completed my turn, I end up manually doing it, is it the end of the world no? But it is a 43K car and turn signals are nothing new.

Back