Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > New Members - Photo Gallery- Explorer Registries - Features - Reviews > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves to our family of Ford Explorer enthusiasts Welcome aboard!!

03 Mercury Mountaineer (front differential issues)

Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Michelle.Mauder
Toledo,Ohio
2003 Mercury Mountaineer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
yellow 03 Mercury Mountaineer (front differential issues)

I have a question for anyone out their I have a 2003 Mercury MountIANEER IT HAS A 4.0 IN IT AND i HAVE ALOT OF ISSUES WITH WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLYS AND BEARING AND MY SUSPENSION FOR THE LAST YEAR. tHE ? i HAVE IS AM i ABLE TO CONVERT FROM awd TO 2 WD WITHOUT ANY ISSUES. wHILE DRIVING FROM TOLEDO OHIO TO pIQUA OHIO i WAS GOING AROUND 65MPH AND I heard a really loud thump/bang and then the front end started shaking really bad like I had a flat tire so I pulled over to the side of the road and got out and looked and realized that I hit a big hole 20 mins prior and some how all my gearoil had leaked out of the front differential. The truck still moves forward and in reverse but it is making god awfull grinding and thumping noise as move I am trying to figure the easiest way for to fix this problem. I have been told to just take out front driveshaft but won't all the pinion and gears still turn from the axels and would still grind I think? But I took the inspection cover off and their were know metal shaving sin their so what could be the issues causiong allo the tension? Feel free to text me or call me 9375413548 I really need someones help I am a single mother of 2 and very mechanically inclined but this has me stumped on what to do.
Michelle.Mauder is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
FordGT55
Upper Arlington, Ohio
2000 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You can't make it 2wd. You are correct that the diff will still turn because of the axles. You have to replace your differential. Had a explorer Sport in the shop that the front diff blew on and they are not terrible to replace took an hour. The sport would not go in reverse because the gears would jam.

2008 Ford Escape AWD, 2008 Ford Edge AWD, 2003 Ford Escape 4WD, and my X.
FordGT55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
BoughtdamnLemon
Denver
2003 Ford Explorer XLTAWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having the EXACT same problem with my 03 explorer that is all time AWD. Do any one of you guys know the correct ratio that I need or where I could look to find the right differential? Also, is the diff. also called the front axle carrier assembly? I wanted to take out the drive shaft too, but knew that I would have the same problem. Any advice would be nice.
BoughtdamnLemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: