03 Mercury Mountaineer (front differential issues) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Mercury Mountaineer (front differential issues)

Michelle.Mauder

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo,Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a question for anyone out their I have a 2003 Mercury MountIANEER IT HAS A 4.0 IN IT AND i HAVE ALOT OF ISSUES WITH WHEEL HUB ASSEMBLYS AND BEARING AND MY SUSPENSION FOR THE LAST YEAR. tHE ? i HAVE IS AM i ABLE TO CONVERT FROM awd TO 2 WD WITHOUT ANY ISSUES. wHILE DRIVING FROM TOLEDO OHIO TO pIQUA OHIO i WAS GOING AROUND 65MPH AND I heard a really loud thump/bang and then the front end started shaking really bad like I had a flat tire so I pulled over to the side of the road and got out and looked and realized that I hit a big hole 20 mins prior and some how all my gearoil had leaked out of the front differential. The truck still moves forward and in reverse but it is making god awfull grinding and thumping noise as move I am trying to figure the easiest way for to fix this problem. I have been told to just take out front driveshaft but won't all the pinion and gears still turn from the axels and would still grind I think? But I took the inspection cover off and their were know metal shaving sin their so what could be the issues causiong allo the tension? Feel free to text me or call me 9375413548 I really need someones help I am a single mother of 2 and very mechanically inclined but this has me stumped on what to do.
:yelexp:

You can't make it 2wd. You are correct that the diff will still turn because of the axles. You have to replace your differential. Had a explorer Sport in the shop that the front diff blew on and they are not terrible to replace took an hour. The sport would not go in reverse because the gears would jam.

I am having the EXACT same problem with my 03 explorer that is all time AWD. Do any one of you guys know the correct ratio that I need or where I could look to find the right differential? Also, is the diff. also called the front axle carrier assembly? I wanted to take out the drive shaft too, but knew that I would have the same problem. Any advice would be nice.

Back