Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Blinking OverDrive Light!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Dakster
2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Blinking OverDrive Light!

Hi Everyone! I hope someone can help me...I just bought a 2003 XLT Explorer, and on the way home I noticed the "OverDrive Off" light came on and started blinking. I pressed the button on the gearshift, and it didn't do anything. Here's the whole story. When I test drove the truck the battery was dead, so they had to jump it. When I took it to my dad (who's a certified mech.) to check it out; I accidently shut it off, and he had to jump it. Before I bought it (even trade for '05 PT Cruiser Convertible); I asked them to replace the battery. No warranty or anything since I basically bought it straight-trade. What do you think this blinking light could be? Could it be due to the battery change?
Dakster is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
bizzs
Gibsonia Pennsylvania

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dakster, Since your dad is a mechanic, I would have him run a OBD scanner to see what code is displayed. If its the P0795 (solenoids B) code, more then likely it is the transmission solenoid pack or servos. This is a common problem with these explorers. Your options are to do a total transmission rebuilt which is very expensive, or you can install the aftermarket o-ring servo kit for 200.00. I did the aftermarket fix and my 03 explorer transmission works without a hippcup. Use the search button on this site and you will find all kinds of information about the blinking OD light.

Best of luck,
Bizzs
bizzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Dakster
2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well I have some good news...I went back to the dealership to turn in the title for the trade. The salesman asked how I liked the Explorer. I told him I like it, but I had problems after I drove off the lot. I told him of the problem, so he put the truck on his computer. He found the issue, and gave me a warranty for free. We are going to get the Explorer fixed and I will be a happy camper. It's driving well and shifting well for now, and am happy.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
D Hook
Elite Explorer
Omaha, NE
06 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
That's a good way to build repeat business.

*Registered Smart Ass in all 57 states
D Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Dakster
2003 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I was so close to taking this back due to the "3 Day Return" law, but I read up on that. It's a law, but its still up to the dealers discretion. My fiancee also told me to go there with a cool head, and nonchalantly tell them the problem. I think that helped a lot, because I am a hot-head. If things don't work the way I think they should; then I get mad, and go off on people.

It was so much better for me to do it this way; than to go off on the dealership.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
jstorm001
Levittown , PA
2002 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

When my o/d was flashing on my 02 ford told me the vales were sticking not even month later had to replace the transmission .i was driving to work o/d light started to flash got a message saying my transmission overheated and check engine light came on also drove it right to the dealer after work shifted very rough Same messages & lights came up
jstorm001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: