2011 or a 2013 limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 or a 2013 limited

hopperwagonbob

Reaction score
Is there any interior differences in the two? Dealer has a used 2011 on lot but thinking I'd rather have him get me a 2013 for what he's asking. He said they were the same. Is this right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2013 rear seats have a tailgate option, which flips the third row 180 around. Your feet are now at the back of the truck. I don't know if there are any other differences.

For the 2013, most of the TSB issues that have plagued the early 2011's have been resolved.

If you elect to go for the 2011, make sure that all applicable TSB updates, cooling fan replacement and/or PCM programming, MFT performance upgrade, etc. have been resolved if they exist.

If you like technology, go with the 2013, it has a few more gadgets to play with for the price. I love my 2013 and not trade it for the world.........

Well,I went with the 2013 limited 301a,moonroof,2nd row buckets,Sterling Gray
Welcome to the Forum hopperwagonbob.:wavey: Good choice. Always nice to have new members posting here. Now all you need is the Explorer.;) Did you order the 2nd row console as well. Unless things have changed, the 2nd row buckets do not have inboard arm rests.

Peter

Nice choice, u will love the lane keeping system, the heated steering wheel, and the power tilt telescopic steering especially on the setting of the easy entry-exit, with the pedal and power mirror memory.......NICE FEATURES......

The 2013 rear seats have a tailgate option, which flips the third row 180 around. Your feet are now at the back of the truck. I don't know if there are any other differences.

Our 2013's 3rd row seats don't do that. It is my understanding that the option to have the seats like that is being removed from Ford new vehicles (if it hasn't been already).

As for the OP's question, I would go with the 2013, without question. All of the TSB's up to now are fixed on the assembly line, and the newer features are cool. Personally, considering some of the issues 2011's have had, I would get the 2013 to avoid having to mess with the TSB's.

my 2013 limited has no rear seats tailgate option either. Got the car frash off the delivery truck three weeks ago. No problem so far. Still trying to find the ideal adjustment for my seat.

Our 2013's 3rd row seats don't do that. It is my understanding that the option to have the seats like that is being removed from Ford new vehicles (if it hasn't been already).

As for the OP's question, I would go with the 2013, without question. All of the TSB's up to now are fixed on the assembly line, and the newer features are cool. Personally, considering some of the issues 2011's have had, I would get the 2013 to avoid having to mess with the TSB's.

Once again, the OWNER'S MANUAL specifically mentions to NOT use the seats in that manner. Page 187 says to not use them this way or damage will occur. Can you actually do it, though? :)

Congratulations and welcome to the forum, hopperwagonbob! :D

...If you elect to go for the 2011, make sure that all applicable TSB updates, cooling fan replacement and/or PCM programming, MFT performance upgrade, etc. have been resolved if they exist.
...As for the OP's question, I would go with the 2013, without question...
Nice choice, u will love the lane keeping system, the heated steering wheel, and the power tilt telescopic steering especially on the setting of the easy entry-exit, with the pedal and power mirror memory.......NICE FEATURES......
Thanks for everyone taking the time to help!

Here are some of the other changes for the 2013MY Explorer:

“— Available 3.5L EcoBoost® Engine paired to a 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic® Transmission (Included on Sport)
SAFETY/SECURITY
— Front-passenger knee airbag standard
EXTERIOR CHANGES
• New Paint
— Kodiak Brown Metallic (J1)
— Ruby Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat (RR)
— Green Gem Metallic (W6)
— Oxford White (YZ)
— Deep Impact Blue Metallic (J4)

— HID Headlamps with Auto High Beams available on Limited
INTERIOR/COMFORT
— Heated Steering Wheel available on Limited
— Power Tilt/Telescoping steering column available on Limited
— 2nd Row Bucket Seats and center console available on XLT
— 6-way Power Front-Passenger Seat with Manual Recline and Lumbar Standard on XLT
FUNCTIONAL
— Lane Departure Warning and Lane Keep Assist available on Limited
— New Final Drive Ratio's for the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 Engine
— Available Class III Trailer Tow Package (includes SelectShift Automatic® Transmission, Engine Oil Cooler (not included with Sport) & 4.7 – PIN Wiring Harness)”

Once again, the OWNER'S MANUAL specifically mentions to NOT use the seats in that manner. Page 187 says to not use them this way or damage will occur...
You’re correct, RonJrSVCMGR; page 187 of the 2013 Explorer Owner Guide states:

“WARNING: Do not drive the vehicle when the third row seat is rotated backwards. During a sudden stop, the safety belts are not functional in this position and the third row seat can rapidly tip back to the forward position, all of which may result in serious injury.

Note: Do not use seat in this position or damage to seat may occur.”

For a free copy of the Owner Guide, go to the URL:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

and choose your ride from the drop down menus.

Cory

Well I know you already got it but just for future reference for anyone else wondering the differences:

2013 changes:

1. Heated steering wheel
2. Lane departure warning with lane assist
3. Auto-dimming bright headlights
4. Passenger knee bag
5. Power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel
6. Recessed lighted cargo area switches
7. 2nd row bucket seats and console available (XLT)
8. New colors: Ruby Red, Oxford White, Kodiak Brown, Green Gem, Deep Impact Blue
9. Removed colors: White Suede, Red Candy, Dark Blue

2012 changes:

1. Six-speed automatic transmission with SelectShift
2. Four-cylinder Ecoboost engine available
3. SYNC and USB port (XLT)

Plus TSB issues are addressed with each model year

Congrats. Interesting info on the 3rd row seating. A friend o mine uses it all the time for parades and at the beach. Never drives it that way though, good thing.

OK, how to you get the seats turned around? I see in the manual it says not to drive like that but didn't see where it showed you how to switch them...

OK, how to you get the seats turned around? I see in the manual it says not to drive like that but didn't see where it showed you how to switch them...

You can't if you have the automatic folding seats. The 2013 Flex has a tailgate mode for the 3rd row, so it's an option on the switch. The Explorer has no such feature.

I don't have the Auto seats, but I figured it out!

...A friend o mine uses it all the time for parades and at the beach. Never drives it that way though, good thing.
OK, how to you get the seats turned around?...
...The Explorer has no such feature.
I’m sorry for missing your posts, guys.

According to the 2013MY Explorer Owner Guide 3rd Printing, the third row seats are not recommended to be used when rotated backwards. The following is from page 184:

“WARNING: Do not drive the vehicle when the third row seat is rotated backwards. During a sudden stop, the safety belts are not functional in this position and the third row seat can rapidly tip back to the forward position, all of which may result in serious injury.

Note: Do not use seat in this position or damage to seat may occur.”

For more on your ride, grab a free digital copy of the Owner Guide here:

http://Owner.Ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Choose your vehicle from the drop-down menus and you’re all set to download! :)

Cory

Is there any interior differences in the two? Dealer has a used 2011 on lot but thinking I'd rather have him get me a 2013 for what he's asking. He said they were the same. Is this right?

after reading FORD's response about the EPAS failures and corrective actions, this is a no brainer, get a late MY13

Back