Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :(

Old 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas
99 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1999 Ford Explorer XLT Will NOT START! :(

Hey everyone,

It's been a while... I have a 99 Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC That will not start! It acts like its not getting any fuel but it has adequate fuel pressure and I can hear the fuel pump running. It has ran just fine and hasn't shown any signs of any problems, but yesterday I got off work and hopped in and it just won't start. It fires, tries to crank but like I said it acts like its getting no fuel. Unfortunately I havent been able to check if it is actually firing or not because its pouring down raining today, but any assistance would be great! I really need to get this thing back up and running.

Thanks,
ROBERIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
phix-

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
You more than likely have a clogged fuel filter, you can test this by trying to semi-gently jarring the fuel filter around. For me I used a flat head screw driver and removed it from the bracket. You could also just replace it, but I had this issue and got my truck to start after I mucked with mine. I replaced it right after, also you might want to check your Crank Position Sensor, clean the connections with electronic connection cleaner.
phix- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

get some quick start and spray it in the intake. That will likely tell you IF it is a fueling issue. You can then go from there as suggested.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:31 AM   #4
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks, I will check the Crank Position Sensor and Clean it. I will also try the fuel filter and see if that could be the culprit, but wouldn't that cause me to have no fuel pressure?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
jremington59
Elite Explorer
Watertown, NY

1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
When you say adequate fuel pressure do you mean tested or just fuel at the rail? Although I assume if it's running the pump tthere's pressure there.

As Bud stated, a 2 second spray of ether into the throttle body will fire it, but don't make a habit of it, lol....
jremington59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
05explorer1974
2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sp

Vehicle Specs

They did have some fuel pump problems during that time. Does the fuel pump turn on when you the key to the on position?
05explorer1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
By adequate I just meant fuel at the rail. I just assumed if it had fuel pressure at the rail, that the Pump was working. What stumps me is that it was so instantaneous... I would think that if it was an injector clog or something I would have some sign of trouble ahead of time. I also will check the Crank Position Sensor and clean it. Other than replacing the alternator this is the only issue I have ever had with this truck. I have been driving it much harder the past few months though, in comparison to previous years. I have been having to make frequent long distance trips twice a week. Hope this helps explain my situation.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05explorer1974 View Post
They did have some fuel pump problems during that time. Does the fuel pump turn on when you the key to the on position?
I can hear it running but I'm not for sure if it's working.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 PM   #9
phix-

Vehicle Specs

Ok, do this. Turn the key 4 times to the "prime" position (this is where the fuel pump whines). Then have your fuel pressure gauge hooked up at the schrader valve (on the fuel rail). Have some crank the motor over and check the pressure, if you did this right there should be 40psi at the rail. If pressure is good, I would bet the fuel filter is clogged. Now you could also have bad injectors but that is a little more rare for all 6 to not work. If there is no pressure when you perform the test, your pump needs to be replaced (if you did not already check the fuel inertia switch in the passenger side).

Why the pump? It may be getting 12v but not supplying between 30-65psi needed to get things started and/or keep them that way.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phix- View Post
Ok, do this. Turn the key 4 times to the "prime" position (this is where the fuel pump whines). Then have your fuel pressure gauge hooked up at the schrader valve (on the fuel rail). Have some crank the motor over and check the pressure, if you did this right there should be 40psi at the rail. If pressure is good, I would bet the fuel filter is clogged. Now you could also have bad injectors but that is a little more rare for all 6 to not work. If there is no pressure when you perform the test, your pump needs to be replaced (if you did not already check the fuel inertia switch in the passenger side).

Why the pump? It may be getting 12v but not supplying between 30-65psi needed to get things started and/or keep them that way.
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely try this. I am hoping it is something simple like the fuel filter, that's for sure!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
05explorer1974
2005 Ford Explorer XLT Sp

Vehicle Specs

If you do have to replace the pump also replace the filter at the same time. I agree I doubt all 6 injectors went a once.
05explorer1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Ok, I sprayed starting fluid into the intake and it starts...almost! It dies like it is not getting any fuel so I am under the impression that It is my Fuel filter or pump? I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but I can surely tell the pressure at the rail seems low.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #13
phix-

Vehicle Specs

Once agin, given the amount of effort it will take you or $ to pay someone to do the fuel pump is greater than trying to replace your fuel filter. If you have never done it before I will advise taking about 2hrs to do it. It CAN be a simple job but it can also have you cursing the truck till you figure out the method of removal for the fuel filter that works for you. You will need a 5/16 quick disconnect tool.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #14
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Does the theft light flash while cranking the engine over?
Turdle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure

Ford Explorer Engine No Start Procedure
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #16
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
Thank you for this resource!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
ROBERIZER
Arlington,Texas

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
*UPDATE*

Ok, Friday after work I pulled the gas tank and installed a new fuel pump and filter.
Upon completion the old Explorer was running like a top! I drove a good 45 miles Saturday to see my Family, drove back home Sunday, no problems.

I got in the car to come to work this morning... WONT START! It is once again acting like it is getting no fuel!

It may just be circumstantial but I can here an odd "clicking" sound every 2 to 3 seconds coming from the front and rear of the vehicle even when the key is off. I have never heard this before.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
phix-

Vehicle Specs

Could be the relay under the hood on the driver side. You can try jumping it with a screwdriver or checking with a volt meter while some cranks the motor. I forget the voltage your supposed to see. I look around see if I can find the procedure.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERIZER View Post
*UPDATE*

Ok, Friday after work I pulled the gas tank and installed a new fuel pump and filter.
Upon completion the old Explorer was running like a top! I drove a good 45 miles Saturday to see my Family, drove back home Sunday, no problems.

I got in the car to come to work this morning... WONT START! It is once again acting like it is getting no fuel!

It may just be circumstantial but I can here an odd "clicking" sound every 2 to 3 seconds coming from the front and rear of the vehicle even when the key is off. I have never heard this before.
I think that's one of those jokes about "what's that noise" related to the guy with the chain saw complaining to the store that it took too long to cut a tree down.... you know the rest I hope... :-)

Anyways, you got it in a no start condition again :-( get your meter out and check the voltage going to the pump at your inertia switch (its the easiest place)... confirm the voltage. Then as a last attempt, run a 12v wire directly to the pump, it should run "forever"... don't drive with this, just see if it starts. Go from there.

Perhaps your connection at the fuel pump are loose... :-(
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
bobflood
Elite Explorer
Powder Springs, GA
1997 Eddie Bauer V8 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERIZER View Post
*UPDATE*

When you say you replaced the "filter" - do you mean the round cannister filter inside the frame rail under the driver's door?? Or do you mean the sock on the end of the fuel pump? If you didn't, you really need to change the external filter.

Suggest this thread to friends: