Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Backup camera question.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Kjeffery
Austin tx
2013 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Backup camera question.

Alright i have had my 2013 explorer for a month now and I am still trying to figure out all the do hikies on the car.

The question is about the backup camera.

My camera is working fine and I find I like it but the day I was shopping for my explorer, the salesman took me around to their differrent sales a lots around austin(they have five btw).

We traveled around ina limited and the salesman had me drive to test the suv. When we backed up, I noticed two lines would turn in the dirrection of travel when I turned the wheel. With my Xlt, the two lines are not their but the red to green alinement lines are.

Is the dirrectional lines only available on the limited or is my system not set right? Just curious.

Oh, my american flag bug deflector is suppose to be delivered saturday and it should go perfectly with the deep impact blue of my xlt. I will try to post pics after mounting it.
Kjeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Perhaps its included in My Ford Touch, and not the downgraded system. If you have the features, the back up camera settings are in vehicle settings in MFT, select active and fixed.

I wasn't aware that the model would dictate the rearview camera settings.

From the manual:

The rear video camera includes the following features that will assist the driver in reverse driving.
Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidelines
The active guidelines show the path of intended motion of the vehicle while reversing. The fixed guidelines assist a driver with backing into a parking space or aligning with an object behind the vehicle.
To turn this feature on or off when the vehicle is not in R (Reverse), do the following on the touchscreen:
1. Select Menu
2. Select Vehicle
3. Select Rear View Camera
The fixed guideline options are ON and OFF. The active guideline options are ACTIVE + FIXED, FIXED and OFF.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit, SCT X4 94 Octane Tune

Last edited by Sgt1411; 06-01-2012 at 12:45 AM.
Sgt1411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
VinceL
Frisco, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I'm not positive, but I think the moving lines are only on Limiteds.

Check out the Gray Ghost on Fuelly.com
Average Mileage: 21.3
Best Tank: 26.5
VinceL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
onaropus
Houston, TX
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

I believe the active guidelines are a limited only feature
onaropus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
jrmexplorer
Elite Explorer
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
My understanding is that the active guidelines are only on the Limiteds with the Active Park Assist feature. The explanation I heard was that the active park assist includes a steering sensor that is used by the backup camera so it knows your steering angle to create the curved lines.
jrmexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
There seems to be a lot of, I believe, I'm not positive and my understanding, phrases on this subject so let me throw in my perspective. The manual under REAR VIEW CAMERA (IF EQUIPPED) has a section entitled; Active guidelines (if equipped) and fixed guidlines.
I believe, although I'm not positive that this indicates that while fixed guidelines are included with all cameras, the active guidelines are not. At least that is my understanding.

I wish Ford would stop using "If equipped" and be more specific as to what they mean (model, options etc).

Peter

Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
FordMomof3
S.E. Michigan
2013 Explorer XLT (!!!!)

Vehicle Specs

My 2013 XLT does *NOT* have active guides - only fixed.

FYI.

FordMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
1sttimeford
Atlanta, GA
2011 Explorer Limited 301

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You only get the active guidelines if the car is equipped with the auto parallel parking option. (edit: the option is called Active Park Assistant)
1sttimeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Gatortailale
Elite Explorer
Reston, VA

2013 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Unless i missed a setting, I do not have it on my 301A limited.

2013 Limited, Ecoboost, Deep Impact Blue Metalic - 2nd Row Buckets - 301A - BLIS

1990 D. III Footall National Champion at Allegheny College.
Gatortailale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatortailale View Post
Unless i missed a setting, I do not have it on my 301A limited.
Assuming you have the Active Park Assist, on the main MFT screen, select Settings (wheel cogs to the right of Home), then select Vehicle and then you should see Rear View Camera. The options within Rear View Camera should show a selection for Active + Fixed. NOTE: The Active lines will only show on the screen if the front wheels are NOT in a straight line.

Update: I just checked out the 301A package and it does not show as having the Active Park Assist option. That comes with the 302A and 303A package (302A in Canada).

Peter

Last edited by peterk9; 06-01-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Correction made to include 302A
peterk9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #11
RonJrSVCMGR
Moderator Emeritus
Gilford, NH

'13 Ford Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Active park assist is in package 302a in US and the guidelines are called "active guidelines" in the rear view camera. Without trying it, I am getting from the Owner's manual that this is park of "Active Park Assist". Someone without Active Park Assist get those active guidlines to come up when backing up?

2013 Ford Explorer Limited AWD in White Platinum Tri-coat & Medium Light Stone interior. 302a package with power fold 2nd row bucket seats, 2nd row center console, power fold 3rd row seats, trailer tow package, heated/cooled front seats, Ford all-weather floor mats (summer), WeatherTech Floor liners for all three rows (winter) & Cargo Well + Cargo Liner, additional Trailer Hitch Cap modified to accommodate a Bike Carrier, dual moonroof and Visual Garage Shark Fin Antenna. Goes by the name "Storm Trooper".
RonJrSVCMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #12
RonJrSVCMGR
Moderator Emeritus
Gilford, NH

'13 Ford Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

From another post.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1kedz
The question is, why aren't the active guides standard with any model that has a backup camera? Is this is a software restriction or is there some something missing hardware-wise? I can't see a reason why the active guides would only be available to people who pay for automatic parking feature, when the guides are more useful to someone manually parking =P
w1kedz,

The active guide lines are only available with the active park assist. This is partly because with the extra sensors installed (needed for park assist) it also detects to the side and can verify the area is clear of obstructions in the intended path of travel.

Cory

If Cory posted it, it is like Gospel....

2013 Ford Explorer Limited AWD in White Platinum Tri-coat & Medium Light Stone interior. 302a package with power fold 2nd row bucket seats, 2nd row center console, power fold 3rd row seats, trailer tow package, heated/cooled front seats, Ford all-weather floor mats (summer), WeatherTech Floor liners for all three rows (winter) & Cargo Well + Cargo Liner, additional Trailer Hitch Cap modified to accommodate a Bike Carrier, dual moonroof and Visual Garage Shark Fin Antenna. Goes by the name "Storm Trooper".
RonJrSVCMGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #13
spitfisher
New England
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

On a side note, I really like the camera for hitching up my boat trailer, its slick!

2011 Explorer XLT Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, Rapid spec 202a package, tan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof, Husky mats throughout & Thule 2100. Built June 23rd
spitfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:29 PM   #14
Kjeffery
Austin tx
2013 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfisher View Post
On a side note, I really like the camera for hitching up my boat trailer, its slick!
Also the camera is addictive. I get in my 03 2500ram quad and put it reverse then look to the dash for the camera view.
Kjeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Spengracin
Fairfield, Ca
2012 AWD Limited

Vehicle Specs

Spitfisher, did you have to turn off the active park assist to hitch up the boat, I back up to hook up the trailer and the system is screaming at you until you are out of reverse. LOL

2012 Limited EX. Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, 302a package, bliss, pecan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof rack, Aries Stainlees Nerf bars, upgraded LED interior lighting.
Spengracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonJrSVCMGR View Post
...If Cory posted it, it is like Gospel....
Thanks! I appreciate you tracking down my post, RonJrSVCMGR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjeffery View Post
Alright i have had my 2013 explorer for a month now and I am still trying to figure out all the do hikies on the car...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt1411 View Post
Perhaps its included in My Ford Touch, and not the downgraded system...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceL View Post
I'm not positive, but I think the moving lines are only on Limiteds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onaropus View Post
I believe the active guidelines are a limited only feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmexplorer View Post
My understanding is that the active guidelines are only on the Limiteds with the Active Park Assist feature...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMomof3 View Post
My 2013 XLT does *NOT* have active guides - only fixed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeford View Post
You only get the active guidelines if the car is equipped with the auto parallel parking option. (edit: the option is called Active Park Assistant)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
...Update: I just checked out the 301A package and it does not show as having the Active Park Assist option. That comes with the 302A and 303A package (302A in Canada)...
Rebecca (FordIVTteam) can research any other software questions, guys; she’s on the In-Vehicle Technology team and she rocks!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #17
spitfisher
New England
1995 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spengracin View Post
Spitfisher, did you have to turn off the active park assist to hitch up the boat, I back up to hook up the trailer and the system is screaming at you until you are out of reverse. LOL
Sorry for the late response, but yes I amnually turn it off, sometimes I remember, most of the time I don't till the first beep

2011 Explorer XLT Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, Rapid spec 202a package, tan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof, Husky mats throughout & Thule 2100. Built June 23rd
spitfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #18
Spengracin
Fairfield, Ca
2012 AWD Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfisher View Post
Sorry for the late response, but yes I amnually turn it off, sometimes I remember, most of the time I don't till the first beep
Thanks, much more relaxed hooking up trailer now

2012 Limited EX. Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, 302a package, bliss, pecan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof rack, Aries Stainlees Nerf bars, upgraded LED interior lighting.
Spengracin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: