Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

Torque converter drain plug.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
Naumann
Chula Vista,CA.
91 Ranger 4.0 Auto

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Torque converter drain plug.

[SIIZE="4"][/SIZE] I just joined. I'm in the process of changing the transmission fluid in my '91 Ranger 4.0. I got the pan drained, but now I have to drain the torque converter. I can't find the drain plug on it. I pulled the starter and used a screwdriver to rotate the flywheel, but the plug isn't there. Do any of you know where the plug might be located on this transmission? The manual says there is an access plate on the lower left hand side, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance.

Naumann
Naumann is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
rhauf
Elite Explorer
Ca

'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

you know come to think of it, i don't recall ever seeing a drain plug on a4ld torque converters... looks like you'll just have to turn a blind eye to the fluid trapped in the converter.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
arco777
Elite Explorer

2x 1994 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum!

There may not be a drain plug. I seem to recall talk of Ford "cheaping out" and not adding a drain plug to these TCs.

You could do a complete trans flush, or just change the fluid in the pan a couple times and call it good.

-2008 Mustang GT Bullitt #5560 - Brenspeed tuned
arco777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
rhauf
Elite Explorer
Ca

'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

or you could do it the really lazy way like i do... remove a trans cooling line (place end in bucket) start engine and let it run until the trans fluid all pumps out (but not any longer!)

works great and you don't have to drop the pan and get an ATF shower.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Naumann
Chula Vista,CA.
91 Ranger 4.0 Auto

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
rhauf:
I agree with you that there may not be a plug in the converter. Your suggestions for putting the hose in a bucket and running the engine sound good. However, my dilemma is knowing which line goes back to the transmission. Is it the top or bottom line? Do you know which line it is? Thanks!
Naumann
Naumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
wood1
North of Edmonton
'93 XLT, Cayman Green RIP

Vehicle Specs

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Top line on the transmission is the return, there is no drain plug on the converter.

I changed my fluid by letting it drain into a bucket and filled the pan through the dipstick tube as it pumped out the old fluid. I didn't let it run dry, didn't think that would be a good idea. Let it pump until it runs clean, adjust the level and you are good to go.

List of useful TTB Threads
wood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
rhauf
Elite Explorer
Ca

'93 and '91 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumann View Post
rhauf:
I agree with you that there may not be a plug in the converter. Your suggestions for putting the hose in a bucket and running the engine sound good. However, my dilemma is knowing which line goes back to the transmission. Is it the top or bottom line? Do you know which line it is? Thanks!
Naumann

yeah as wood said, top line returns to the trans.

so pull off the bottom line, put a short piece of old scrap garden hose over it and put the other end of the garden hose in the bucket. thats the easiest way.

remember almost all radiators pump the fluid from the bottom, to the top.

Suggest this thread to friends: