Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Burning rubber smell (not from acceleration)

Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
phareous
Charlotte, NC
2013 Ford Explorer Limite

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Burning rubber smell (not from acceleration)

So I have had my 2013 Explorer now for 6 days. When we are driving for a while, I can notice a burning smell when I get out of the car. It almost smells like burning rubber and it seems to be coming from the engine area but when I open the hood I really cannot pinpoint it and everything appears fine. Does anyone know if this is normal and eventually it will go away, or is it something I should have looked at? I mentioned it at the dealer when I got my DRL enabled but they never looked at it or didn't find anything.

Last edited by phareous; 06-20-2012 at 08:57 AM.
phareous is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
splurph16
PA
2013 Ford Explorer - 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Definitely get this checked out. I recently purchased a 2013 and noticed a foul odor coming from the engine into the cabin when the vents were open. It would also stink around the front of the car, specifically near the front right off the engine. After a lot of hootin and hollering at the dealer, they sent an engineer down to investigate the odor. Turns out, coolant vapors where escaping past the radiator cap. They tested this out on a couple of different 2013's and found the same issue with the others as well. The dealer ended up replacing the upper and lower hoses, the coolant resevior, and the cap. Per the dealer, Ford is expected to make a modification to the model later this month due to this issue. Can you smell it in the cabin while the vents are on (not on recirculate)? Does it almost smell like exhaust? If so, I would mention this to them. Once the new parts were installed, the smell went away.
splurph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
phareous
Charlotte, NC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
No I don't smell it inside and it doesn't smell like exhaust...it smells like rubber or plastic or something like that being burned/heated. I smelled it when I pulled into my garage after I got out. Then yesterday I smelled it when I went to a gas station and got out to fill up. Almost like maybe something to do with th belts, hoses, etc. but I couldn't pin point anything when I opened the hood

By the way the first time I opened the hood the little piece of metal that props it open was so hot I almost burned my hand...so I didn't prop it open but just held the hood open with my hand. So it's getting pretty hot under the hood

EDIT: But the dash screen shows engine temperature to be fine
Old 06-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
splurph16
PA
2013 Ford Explorer - 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Yeah, it may not be the same issue that I had, but I just wanted to throw it out there since it seems to be affecting the 2013 models. Best of luck!
splurph16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
sterlinggold
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
No I don't smell it inside and it doesn't smell like exhaust...it smells like rubber or plastic or something like that being burned/heated. I smelled it when I pulled into my garage after I got out. Then yesterday I smelled it when I went to a gas station and got out to fill up. Almost like maybe something to do with th belts, hoses, etc. but I couldn't pin point anything when I opened the hood

By the way the first time I opened the hood the little piece of metal that props it open was so hot I almost burned my hand...so I didn't prop it open but just held the hood open with my hand. So it's getting pretty hot under the hood

EDIT: But the dash screen shows engine temperature to be fine
Did you figure this out? I just got delivery of a 2013 and smelling the same issue.
sterlinggold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Spengracin
Fairfield, Ca
2012 AWD Limited

Vehicle Specs

Trip to the dealer is in order.

2012 Limited EX. Tri-White plat. Dual panel sun roof, 302a package, bliss, pecan interior, 20" polished aluminum wheels, tow package, cross rails for roof rack, Aries Stainlees Nerf bars, upgraded LED interior lighting.
Spengracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
tiresmoke
2012 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Not saying that it's not a big deal... but new cars often have a lot of smells that come off parts that get hot (engine, transmission, exhaust, brakes) until stuff "burns off". Take it in to the dealer if you feel that it should be looked at, but don't be surprised if they say it's normal.
tiresmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Akmechanic
Fairbanks, AK
2012 XLT Ex

Vehicle Specs

There is a TSB out detailing the replacement of cooling hoses and coolant due to achemical reaction betwen them creating odors. Your dealer should know about it after a quick search but just in case:
And see thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/....php?p=3018845

TSB
12-8-8 3.5L TI-VCT - FOUL ODOR FROM COOLING SYSTEM - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 7/9/2012

Publication Date: August 14, 2012

FORD: 2012-2013 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2012-2013 Explorer vehicles equipped with a 3.5L TI-VCT engine and built on or before 7/9/2012 may exhibit a foul, rotten-egg type odor coming from the cooling system or components, typically after coming to a stop with the climate control recirculation door in the fresh air mode.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Flush the cooling system. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
Replace the upper and lower radiator hoses.
Remove degas bottle cap and inspect the top sealing surface on the bottle for defects. Use your fingertip to feel for nicks/gouges that are hard to see. If you feel a nick, replace the degas bottle. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03.
Replace the hoses at the coolant degas bottle.
Replace the heater hoses.
Refill the system with new Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant to the appropriate level, refer to WSM, Section 303-03.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-8260-E Radiator Hose - Upper
BB5Z-8286-G Radiator Hose - Lower without Oil Cooler
BB5Z-8286-H Radiator Hose - Lower with Oil Cooler
DB5Z-8C289-C Degas Bottle-To-Coolant Inlet Pipe Hose
BB5Z-8276-C Thermostat Housing-To-Degas Bottle Hose
BB5Z-18472-E Heater Hoses
VC-1 Motorcraft® Premium Cooling System Flush
VC-3-B Motorcraft® Orange Antifreeze/Coolant Concentrated
F1VY-8255-A O-ring
AG1Z-8A080-S Degas Bottle

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120808A 2012-2013 Explorer: Flush The Cooling System And Replace Hoses Following The Service Procedure Includes Time To Remove And Install The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.7 Hrs.
120808B 2012-2013 Explorer: Flush The Cooling System And Replace Degas Bottle And Hoses Following The Service Procedure Includes Time To Remove And Install The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.9 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8260 d4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2012 Ford Motor Company

-Kevin
Akmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
sterlinggold
2013 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Wow, thanks for all the posts, so I got under the car and found the reason for this odor, it looks like there is a plastic wrap around the mid section of the exhaust which was burning away; Once I remove the remaining plastic this smell went away but I also noticed I get the "sulfur" smell on strong acceleration... oh well... I'll get on researching that next.

sterlinggold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
phareous
Charlotte, NC

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggold View Post
Did you figure this out? I just got delivery of a 2013 and smelling the same issue.
Yeah it went away so I think yours will too...I'm up to 3600 miles now...139 hours
Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #11
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
Yeah it went away so I think yours will too...I'm up to 3600 miles now...139 hours
Quote:
Originally Posted by splurph16 View Post
Definitely get this checked out...Once the new parts were installed, the smell went away.
phareous & splurph16,

I’m glad you guys were taken care of; thanks for the update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggold View Post
...Once I remove the remaining plastic this smell went away but I also noticed I get the "sulfur" smell on strong acceleration...
I recommend scheduling a dealer trip so they can look into it, sterlinggold. I can help by arranging a call from your regional Customer Service Manager. For me to do this, please PM me with your contact info, dealer name/state, mileage, and VIN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spengracin View Post
Trip to the dealer is in order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiresmoke View Post
...Take it in to the dealer if you feel that it should be looked at...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akmechanic View Post
...Your dealer should know about it after a quick search...
Spengracin, tiresmoke, & Kevin,

Thanks for everyone helping out.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
GeoMimi89
Elite Explorer
NY

2013 Explorer XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Is Ford going to send out a recall notice on this problem?

Suggest this thread to friends: