Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
20" Polished Aluminum Wheel Damage

So today I noticed this rock damage to my 20" polished aluminum wheels. Yes, the damage might be small and yes I might be a little OCD but it needs to be fixed.

I asked a few detailers and cut polish or 1000grit wet sand isn't an option.

Any suggestions how to fix this damage?

photo.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i gotta buddy at my work who fixed some rims on our trucks the idiot night time mechanic messed up, (he tried to hit them on with a hammer or something and nicked them up bad) i dont know exactly how he fixed them, i can ask him when i go back to work wednesday, but i believe you use a certain grit sand paper to grind it out and then polish them back up.

i wouldnt try it until i get it confirmed. so ill try and look into it.

i gotta buddy at my work who fixed some rims on our trucks the idiot night time mechanic messed up, (he tried to hit them on with a hammer or something and nicked them up bad) i dont know exactly how he fixed them, i can ask him when i go back to work wednesday, but i believe you use a certain grit sand paper to grind it out and then polish them back up.

i wouldnt try it until i get it confirmed. so ill try and look into it.

Thanks I can wait till you hear back.

Commonly used sealers or clear coats are applied on polished wheels, I'll ask a buddy of mine that work also.

There are pro tire shops that fix these rims just find one. No grit no polish just find and take it to a shop !!!!

Pulled off the street to park, and got too close to the curb and bit the rim in two spots. One small one about an inch long, and one about 4 inches longi, right along the edge of the rim.

This is my first vehicle with polished rims....

Can it be buffed or wet sanded out? Not looking for a miracle... but Id like to hide it as much as possible.

Thanks.

-ern

There are companies that can fix or refinish a damaged wheel. Check with a body shop. Ususally, they can get them turned around in 24 hours or so.

Pulled off the street to park, and got too close to the curb and bit the rim in two spots. One small one about an inch long, and one about 4 inches longi, right along the edge of the rim.

This is my first vehicle with polished rims....

Can it be buffed or wet sanded out? Not looking for a miracle... but Id like to hide it as much as possible.

Thanks.

-ern
That is one reason I wished they had the option to chose 17" wheels on the Limited. I run 17's in the Winter and don't worry as much about damaging the wheels and I don't think it affects the look either. But that is just my opinion. The 17" tires are also quite a bit less expensive with a wider choice of brands.

Peter

Thanks guys. There is a wheel shop by me here, Im gonna stop by one day after work and see what they say...

I was just hoping there was something I could do at home to hide it.

-ern

Why can't they make curbs out of rubber or recycled plastic bottles for that matter, does it really have to be made of granite

Back when I was ordering my Explorer there was a discussion regarding the wheel option and one person stated, wait to you hit a curb with those aluminum wheels.

I now personally know what they meant!

Why can't they make curbs out of rubber or recycled plastic bottles for that matter, does it really have to be made of granite

There is your million dollar invention right there! :D

There is your million dollar invention right there! :D

Yup, like feeding steak sauce to cows and mayonaise to tuna fish......

Thanks sticker500.

-ern

ern3, could you post some pics of the repair, before and after? I'm curious to see how much damage they repaired and how did they do. Thanks :)

Back when I was ordering my Explorer there was a discussion regarding the wheel option and one person stated, wait to you hit a curb with those aluminum wheels.

I purchased the Ford wheel and tire warranty and I thought the fine print stating cosmetic damage is not covered. I hope I am wrong.

That's why I feel a little more comfortable when I swap the 20's with the 17's for Winter.
I have the painted aluminum wheels and they also have a few small scratches on them but not from curbs.

Peter

ern3, could you post some pics of the repair, before and after? I'm curious to see how much damage they repaired and how did they do. Thanks :)

Sure! It wasnt too bad, just 2 spots along the lip. Ill get pics today of the damage.

-ern

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the damage. Like I said, not too bad, but enough to bother me knowing its there.

dfc6t1.jpg

23kulo6.jpg

34fdz4z.jpg

-ern

Back