Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > New Members - Photo Gallery- Explorer Registries - Features - Reviews > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves to our family of Ford Explorer enthusiasts Welcome aboard!!

Thermostat replacement, 2004 Explorer 4wd

Old 07-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
KasieMay
knoxville, TN
2004 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Red face Thermostat replacement, 2004 Explorer 4wd

Hi there. Brand new to this sort of thing, and this forum, so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
I have, what I think (from research) is a bad thermostat in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I bought a new one, and the seal to go with it, hoping I could find a friend or relative to replace it , (I'm a single mom and Grad student, no where near a mechanic) but no luck. So it looks like I'm going to try to do it myself. I do my own maintenance such as oil changes, brake pads etc, but this will be my first real repair.
My question is, is this something I can do on my own, and if so any suggestions or websites to check out would be great. I tried YouTube, but I couldn't really see where they were working on the engine. Thanks again for your help.
KasieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
1ATony
EF Vendor +
mass

92 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Welcome to the site

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
jghake
Washington
2003 Explorer XLT Flex

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KasieMay View Post
Hi there. Brand new to this sort of thing, and this forum, so any help I can get is greatly appreciated.
I have, what I think (from research) is a bad thermostat in my 2004 Ford Explorer. I bought a new one, and the seal to go with it, hoping I could find a friend or relative to replace it , (I'm a single mom and Grad student, no where near a mechanic) but no luck. So it looks like I'm going to try to do it myself. I do my own maintenance such as oil changes, brake pads etc, but this will be my first real repair.
My question is, is this something I can do on my own, and if so any suggestions or websites to check out would be great. I tried YouTube, but I couldn't really see where they were working on the engine. Thanks again for your help.
One of the best things you can do to prepare yourself is head down to your auto parts store and pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual. They can be a real help when doing routine maintenance such as a thermostat.

It really shouldn't be to hard for you to do alone. Basically all you will need to do is remove the 3 bolts on the thermostat housing and remove the old thermostat and put the new one in. I believe they are 8mm bolts. Make sure you pay attention to which way the old thermostat was in. If you install the new one backwards fluid won't flow and you will have to do it again. Also make sure you use a nice bead of RTV sealant when reinstalling the cap back on. This will prevent the housing from leaking coolant.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 07-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
swshawaii
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
IF you have the 4.0 SOHC V6, start with Step 1
and continue through Step 4, then jump to Step 9.

Very important you have the 8mm swivel socket. GL
http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/
swshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: