Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

4.6 Timing Chain repair - 1st time/Newbie Mechanic SUPPORT NEEDED!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
PrettyAzzNouka
College Point, NY
2002 Explorer LTD 4.6

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
4.6 Timing Chain repair - 1st time/Newbie Mechanic SUPPORT NEEDED!

Hey guys,

I have a 02 Explorer with the 4.6 (Romeo) motor. It has a right timing chain noise. Either the tensioner or guide either way Im going to replace everything. I see that theres a little opening in the timing cover from where the chain has been hitting it.

I've done some research from the forum, autozone's manual, alldata, and youtube. I feel 80% confident to do this job. By no means am I an experienced mechanic but I can turn a tool or 2. I've gotten my hands dirty for a couple of big jobs on my old cars alone and with help from my buddy.(Motor swaps,HG job, ect) This would be the first major job I will do alone (but with my buddy on standby for advice).

I already have the radiator/consensor moved out of the way

Questions:

I ordered a timing kit with water pump. Should be here next week.

Should I order the valve cover gaskets? I know I need to order the timing cover gaskets as they are unusable.

How can I hold the cams and crank without the OTC holding kit? I really dont want to buy the kit for 100 bucks to use only once fior this job. Money's tight right now. Moving out of state next month!

Can I reuse the crank pulley bolt once its taken off? (Going to use a breaker bar/motor crank trick)

I know the motor should be at TDC if I remove the chain. Never done this before; but from what I know so far is that the copper link of the chain around th smaller sprocket where the crank is should be at the 6 o'clock position. Correct me if im wrong. I'm still learning, forgive me lol

Feel free to chime in with any tips. Im not afraid to tackle this job. This is just the beginning!!!

Thanks!
PrettyAzzNouka is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
waskly
Crooklyn NY!

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
um

your not taking the heads off.

all you are doing is guilds and tentioner

just lock the chains to the cams, use zip ties, change parts, remove zip ties. dont touch the timing.

also lock the chains around the lower sprocket.

you need the tool to reset timing, if you dont remove the timing, just change guilds.

waskly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #3
JW
Valencia, CA
2003 Limited 4x4 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's not a terribly difficult job. I have a write-up on how I did it here. I've done this same basic procedure on a 4.6L and a 5.4L that got a double head gasket transplant. I've read that you're not supposed to reuse the crank bolt but I reused mine on both engines. I've never had to crank the motor to break the crank bolt loose.

But, if you're not pulling the oil pan to clear it and the oil pump of debris, you're wasting your time. You'll see in that post that I said I didn't clear the oil pan/pump. My engine blew shortly after I wrote that. Here's the tough part - you have to pull the engine to pull the pan, unless you have a two wheel drive (maybe even then, not sure).

Ceramic White 2003 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L: JBA headers, Steeda underdrive pulleys, K&N FIPK, Cougar/Thunderbird electric fan/Flex-A-Lite Controller

Medium Wedgewood Blue 2004 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L Raven Black 1994 Ranger Supercab STX 4x2 4.0L
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
PrettyAzzNouka
College Point, NY
2002 Explorer LTD 4.6

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
It's not a terribly difficult job. I have a write-up on how I did it here. I've done this same basic procedure on a 4.6L and a 5.4L that got a double head gasket transplant. I've read that you're not supposed to reuse the crank bolt but I reused mine on both engines. I've never had to crank the motor to break the crank bolt loose.

But, if you're not pulling the oil pan to clear it and the oil pump of debris, you're wasting your time. You'll see in that post that I said I didn't clear the oil pan/pump. My engine blew shortly after I wrote that. Here's the tough part - you have to pull the engine to pull the pan, unless you have a two wheel drive (maybe even then, not sure).

Ugh, I didn't think I had to drop the oil pan. I read that you should do a low mileage oil change to rid debris if any...
PrettyAzzNouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
JW
Valencia, CA
2003 Limited 4x4 4.6L

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it depends on how advanced the guide wear is. In my case, a hundred oil changes wouldn't have made a difference. Maybe wait what it looks like when you get in there.

Ceramic White 2003 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L: JBA headers, Steeda underdrive pulleys, K&N FIPK, Cougar/Thunderbird electric fan/Flex-A-Lite Controller

Medium Wedgewood Blue 2004 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L Raven Black 1994 Ranger Supercab STX 4x2 4.0L
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
jayton
Jefferson, GA
02 XLT V8

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW View Post
Here's the tough part - you have to pull the engine to pull the pan, unless you have a two wheel drive (maybe even then, not sure).

I didn't realize that. I can confirm however, that 2wd does not require pulling the engine to drop the pan.

Yes get new valve cover gaskets.

The crank pulley bolts are so cheap, why not replace? I've heard stories both ways, some say it is fine to reuse, and some say they have seen them break. I got 3 of them on my last Tasca order just to have lying around.

1993 Grand Marquis
2001 BMW 325i Sedan

Last edited by jayton; 08-06-2012 at 08:41 PM.
jayton is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
3rd gen explorer, 4.6, timing chain