Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

2003 Explorer Replacement Steering Wheel / Audio Controls

Old 08-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
clspruiell
Birmingham, AL
2003 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2003 Explorer Replacement Steering Wheel / Audio Controls

I just bought an older 2003 Explorer and I want to fix it up to "today's" standards.

I am about to buy a Clarion NX702 in dash navigation / satellite radio / etc etc.

Well this unit does not have a volume knob that I really like. So I would like to connect it to steering wheel controls. HOWVER, my explorer does NOT currently have steering wheel controls.

So what are my options as far as replacing the steering wheel with one with controls?

Thanks!
clspruiell is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Crutchfield Vlad
Elite Explorer
Virginia

2005 Explorer Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

I've never had any one ask that. I'm sure you could find a steering wheel with controls from a junk yard. Once you do that than you can use this adapter to connect the Clarion.

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rFORc11....asp?I=120ASWC
Crutchfield Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 AM   #3
aaronajb1981
Minneapolis, MN
'06 XLS

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There is alot more to it than just a steering wheel. you ned a new clockspring, wiring from both sides of the clockspring.

then on top of that you need the adapter he said.

IMO its not worth the hassle and time.
aaronajb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
jrford
Birmingham, MI
'10 Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

he might get lucky, usually the radio/cruise is resistive based there is only a couple of wires it all plugs into, with an '03 it runs to the BCM. In adding OEM stuff, usually the wiring is there. To be 100% you need to check the harness under the airbag, you should find the plugs, one of which is unused. There are safety instructions on removing the airbag. . . .i'd read them. Typically the new wheel should just plug in, after that on the other side of the clock-spring is where you wire the aftermarket radio controls, not sure.

This is for a 4th Gen, not your but it should give you an idea. Search the '02-'05 forum, someone may have already done it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=167862

2004 EB Quad Buckets V8 AWD, 105k
jrford is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: