No Air Coming Thru Vents Only On Defrost Front Dash Vents | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Air Coming Thru Vents Only On Defrost Front Dash Vents

BlackOut33

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hey Guys,

I have a question I have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 Limited today I noticed when I was driving and hit 80km or 100km I had no air coming thru the VENTS at all but when I touched the top vent near window defrost I could feel air blowing OUT then all of a sudden after a few minutes I would have air again thru the front vents.

When im driving 50km or 60km I have no issues at all I got full air and everything.

Its a automatic climate control with DUAL mode so the passenger can set its on temperature & what not.

Any ideas what it can be?

I greatly appreciate it thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same problem with mine. Haven't got the slightest clue on what the problem is.

Hey tgrfly I know how you feel buddy. I spent a lot of $ on my explorer to maintain it well I Just find its 1 thing after the other sometimes you get so fed up its like I'm about to sell it and get another vehicle.

To many headaches you know!

Anyways let me know if you find out thanks

Sounds like it could be a vacuum leak. There are a few threads about this very issue. I'll see if I can find the links when I get home tonight.

Thank you very much BigRondo! I really appreciate it
How much you think it would cost if thats the problem?

Hey guys issue resolved my buddy found a vaccuum line that was unplugged some how but now it's working perfectly.

Thank you!

Have a good day

Nice job!! :biggthump

What vacuum hose did he find disconnected?

It was near the passenger side can't really say which one as I don't know lol
But Its working

It was near the passenger side can't really say which one as I don't know lol
But Its working

Have your buddy who found the disconnected vacuum line show you which one it is in case it comes off again. It probably just vibrated itself loose over time.

Similar issue with mine (05 Mountaineer) and have had it for a couple of summers now. Difference is cold AC shuts down on dash vents and blows to floor vents for 10 - 20 seconds, then automatically comes back to dash. :eek: It normally doesn't do this unless really HOT, like 95 after car has been sitting in sun a while. It's a dual electronic control and works perfectls "most" of the time.

Cooler weather is coming and it isn't that big of an issue if I don't have it, but wish there was a known fix for this. Don't think it is blend door or actuators because it does work great 90% of the time. I've searched the forums many hours and not found a match, actually this seems possible if that vaccuum hose is up high and getting hot and is very loose on the connection. Maybe "bigfoot" (me) was riding on passenger side and got the toes up there and pulled it loose? I'll be standing on my head tomorrow to see what I can see. Maybe pull out the glovebox as well.

Thanks for LOTS of great solutions! I have rear air to tackle too but it should be the actuator due to noise (popping). It is also intermittent though, and within 5 minutes if I move rear temp up till it quits (still cold though), then it will go back to max cold without popping.

Heaters.....not much use for em down here in Texas. :salute:

Hey buddy that rear noise your hearing is for sure 100% the actuator mine did that as well.

Your more then welcome btw I hope all works out good for you.

Take care

New here so bear with me. My Explorer blows air only through the front vents. I checked the manual and it said the AC would blow only through there, but the AC button is NOT on. When the climate control is turned to the right, Heat is fine (adjustable), blower good. But nothing through the defrost or floor vents. Any ideas?

Back