Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Lost Compression on one side of 4.0 sohc

Old 09-20-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
ninety8

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Lost Compression on one side of 4.0 sohc

Hello everyone. I'm new here and am having a problem with my 1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4.0 sohc 4x2 with 128,000 miles I bought new. I have always kept it regularly maintained and never had any real problems. It does not use any oil between changes or have any other problems that I know of. All of a sudden about a week ago when it started it had a skip or miss at idle. When you drive on down the road it doesn't run that much different than normal. I took it to the local dealer to have checked they come back after hooking it up to some tester and say I have no compression on one bank. They then tell me I need a new engine since they think the timing chain or something is bad and it would be just as cheap to replace the engine. This is ridiculous. There is no timing chain slap or noise other than what it has pretty much had since new. It also, like I said runs way too good to be running on only 3 cylinders. Oh and I also have a different than normal exhaust sound and it sounds like a very small exhaust leak. This just happened out of the blue, ran perfect then shut it off, then next time it did this. I am disabled and this is our only vehicle. I don't have the money for an engine or major repairs or to let someone just start replacing parts. I think this is a fairly small problem causing the tester to get a false reading. Any help or ideas about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone in advance for your help
ninety8 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
slipped timing chain?

Low compression of all cylinders on one bank is usually the result of a slipped timing chain. Low compression of two adjacent cylinders is usually due to a blown head gasket or a cracked head. If you don't trust the dealer and can't measure the compression yourself then you'll have to get a second opinion. If the right bank (passenger side) cylinders all have low compression then the engine will have to be pulled to replace the rear cassette. The left cassette can be replaced with the engine in the vehicle. A special tool set simplifies the process and results in less risk of incorrect installation and timing. At least one member with the early S0HC V6 engine experienced cassette guide failure at only 45,000 miles. See my helpful threads to learn more about your engine and its camshaft timing system.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
99minneotaexp
greenfield, mn
99 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Unfortunatly Streetrod is correct about the timing chains and these engines. I would be suprised if it hadent been making noise for some time. But the unfortunate design of these engines is prone to tensioner failure. It could be something as simple one of the chain sprockets slipped on a shaft since very few of the parts are keyed.
99minneotaexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
ninety8

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks everyone. It isn't I didn't trust them it just seemed so far fetched. I did work there for almost 19 yrs as parts manager so I was not totally ignorant to the sohc' s problems. In fact I had previously worked at another Ford Dealership for almost 8 yrs on the counter. As such I never was a fan of the engine in any of it's forms. My Dad actually bought this and when he passed away in 2006 I started driving it. I guess being disabled for the last 7 yrs. and having no money it just took me by surprise and I was grasping at straws for a less expensive fix. I have been trying to get hold of the recalls and tsb's concerning this problem but have not been successful so far. Does anyone know if there are any open recalls for this? Does anyone know anywhere on the internet I can get tsb's and recall info for free? Yes I know I have heard it all my life if you don't trust them why take it to them. Sorry if I offended anyone technician or other but I thought I needed a coil and was hit with this so I was kinda blindsided. I'm settled down now so on to trying to get her fixed. Thaks again everyone.
ninety8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
swshawaii
Kailua-Oahu, Hawaii
'05 Sport Trac XLS (RWD)

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
http://www.revbase.com/BBBMOTOR/
swshawaii is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: