2004 Explorer 4.0L SOHC Rough Idle/Stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4.0L SOHC Rough Idle/Stalling

astich

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
1st time poster; thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

My girlfriend has a 2004 Explorer with a 4.0L SOHC engine. About 2 weeks ago she tried to start it and it didn't want to turn over. After trying numerous times she finally got it started but it was idling very rough and was at low RPMs; after about a minute or so it died. She tried again to start it but wasn't having any luck. We let it sit for a day then tried again and I noticed that when she was trying to start it she had the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I figured she flooded it so let it sit another day.

Tried to start it again and was getting the same start issue; hard to turn over, started, idled very rough, low RPMs, then died. At this point I also smelled gas and there was some white smoke coming out of tailpipe. Next step was to get an OBD II reader and search for codes.

Four codes came up that I though were the problem, P0301, P0302, P0303, and P2195. Looked up the codes and found that the P030 codes were misfires in cylinders 1,2 & 3; P2195 was Os sensor stuck lean bank 1 sensor 1.

So, went to Autozone and bought all new spark plugs and all new wires. Installed the plugs and wires.....same issue. Hard to turn over, rough idle, low RMPs, stalls then dies. The P030 codes were gone though.

Hooked up the OBD reader again and now am getting P2195 and P2197. I know what the codes mean but I'm trying to pinpoint a cause. I have been all over this forum and google and have found it could be anything from a dirty MAF sensor to a catalytic converter failure.

I am not the most savvy mechanic at all and have actually learned more from this issue than anything in the past. Can someone please hold my hand and maybe walk me through some basic checks/cleaning/parts issues that could be causing her truck to not want to start, idle rough, stall and then die? She has two kids and no transportation nor the $$$ to take to a dealer or mechanic. Any help would be heaven sent!

EDIT:
I forgot to mention as well; the only way to keep the engine running to get under the hood and manually open the throttle all the way. If you try to open the throttle with the gas pedal the engine stalls and dies almost immediately.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not a battery alternator issue. It will turn over it just doesn't want to start right away, then idles rough, stalls then dies. I talked to a Ford service shop and they said they've seen this before and that it is most likely a bad injector or bad coil pack; specifically coil #3. Any thoughts on that?

hhhmm, im surprised the PCM hasn't detect anything yet. Its really sucks throwing parts at it and still dont work. I dont know if anybody here got any info on how to check the coil pack like ohm specs and all that. If you can smell gas, then gas may not be the issue. The coil pack is all in one assembly, should be really easy to replace and its less than $100. last resort would be to take it down to the dealer or a shop you trust for proper diagnostics like fuel pressure, injector spray pattern, and hook up a lab scope to check your ignition system (coil pack, wires, etc). yeah that wont be cheap unless you know somebody.
I found this info on injectors: http://www.thepartsbin.com/fuel-injectors.html

if i had to guess, check the crank damper. probably fell apart.

Check fuel pressure. Could be fuel pump issues.

Also clean MAF, Idle Air Control valve, throttle body, etc. just use brake cleaner. When cleaning the MAF be careful not to damage the inner wire. A new sensor is not cheap!

Hate to say it but these sohc's hate head gaskets. The white smoke has me leaning toward it. How does the coolant look and is it full? Oil look milky?

Edit: Hear any hissing like a vacuum leak? I know the pcv valve and hose can cause a bad vac leak. Check the top back of the drivers side valve cover for the pcv valve.

astich, were u able to figure out the problem?

OP, try unplugging the MAF and see if there is any change in your issue.

Sounds like a clogged converter.

Mine has been doing the same. I can take the fuel cap off and turn the key just to on wait three seconds, turn it off, repeat three times and it fires up. I've replaced the fuel pressure sensor and fuel filter. Now looking at replacing the fuel pump. Seems its not getting fuel pressure.

sounds like fuel pump, but i would hook up a fuel pressure gauge first before spending money and found out that it was something else

Back