Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

back-up camera?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Gharp
2013 explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
back-up camera?

has anyone figured out how to activate the rear view camera for use at any time? like for monitoring a trailer load or reading license plates of tailgaters.
Gharp is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #2
Jrister24
Madison, AL
2011 Limited

Vehicle Specs

I would be surprised if that's possible without some major hacking. Even most after market systems won't do this. I guess they consider it a distraction.
Jrister24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
foxtemple
Philadelphia, PA
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Not possible unless you buy and install a Ford Sync "lockpick". You can make the rearview camera stay on a little after you are out of reverse by activating the rearview camera delay option though.
foxtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
FordIVTteam
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharp View Post
has anyone figured out how to activate the rear view camera for use at any time? like for monitoring a trailer load or reading license plates of tailgaters.
Hi, Gharp!

There's no way to activate it while driving, unless of course you're a stunt driver and go everywhere in Reverse.

Rebecca

p: 800.392.FORD (Prompts 1 then 3)
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordIVTteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
RandyH2
Elite Explorer
MI
'11 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Wait another year or two.... I imagine every manufacturer will claim it is not possible on their vehicle for liability reasons. Then someone will show them how to rewire the reverse gear selection sensor... Or plug in a module to fool the system... If there is sufficient demand, I bet someone will make it happen.
RandyH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Dr Plastic
Elite Explorer
Newport News, Virginia

'13 XLT FWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
All you have to do is spoof it....rig a switch that fakes the system into thinking it is in reverse!

U.S. Army Retired, 1978 - 1998

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Dr Plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

I had an Car that had a reverse camera that was triggered when the reverse lights came on. I thought the camera would have been tied into the transmission nuetral safety switch, but it wasn't, only the reverse light. So I tapped into the control wire, mounted a switch under the dash, a diode, and viola!, any time, any where, any gear or speed, I just hit the switch and the reverse camera came one. Pretty trippy watching it as you are moving forward as fast speed. But it worked! I could sit in park, hit the switch, and watch everything going on behind me. Stealth!
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #8
RandyH2
Elite Explorer
MI
'11 Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
THIS is what makes the forums so great. :-)
RandyH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
CompanyExplorer
Reading, Ma
2013 Ford Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

I had an Infiniti FX and someone on that forum modded the camera to stay on while driving, so it is possible.
CompanyExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: