1991 Ranger wiring schematic/starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Ranger wiring schematic/starter

AKHNTR

Reaction score
City, State
AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
Hello, we're troubleshooting a starting issue (no crank) and could really use a diagram (and simpleton explanation) showing wiring for the starting system. It's a 91 XLT 2.9L manual trans. New starter relay installed, newer batt checked out, all grounds and pos cables cleaned, starter engages/eng runs, when starter relay "jumped". Lights do not dim when in "start" pos. Do not have 12v at the small pin on start relay when start switch to "start". That's the problem, if I understand it?? Now trying to track the wires back to the faulty part/wire. I'm just not sure where that 12v pin power comes from/through on the way in...have a test meter. Suspect the ignition switch is faulty, how do you test this. I just installed new clutch master cyl assy. but this truck sat all last winter and then stopped starting before the mast. cyl r&r...this is my 16 yo daughter's first truck, trying to get her on the road, any help appreciated. Thanks :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh, another quick question, is there more than one main pos cable going to the starter? I didn't see more while inspecting/cleaning that one.

Solved!

:usa:Thanks guys/gals. Using the info on here, we finally tracked the fault back to the starter solenoid under the fuse box. It was corroded and started working after we cleaned it and all the others. Brought a great big smile to a 16 y.o. girls face when she hit the starter:D Keep the info coming, we're gonna need it. Looks like a clutch in the near future...

Back