Looking for projectors, but NO Halo's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for projectors, but NO Halo's

Does any company make Projector headlights, that don't have halos? every single site has nothing but halo projectors. What I am trying to do it buy projectors, and then save up enough for quality HID's. I cannot stand halos, the truck is not new enough to have them, and not to be racist, but they look strait out of mexico city, in my mind they go with stick on side vents, and euro lights. I have read the thread about making my own, but I don't think I could make them perfect, plus I would really like the one piece look.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just don't plug in the Halos. That, or remove the outer lens from the headlight, remove the halo rings, paint them black or put some other kind of filler in their place, replace the outer lens.

You can disconnect them as Find says. But I understnad, why pay for something you don't really want. Even though I have hooked up the high beam CCFL's on mine, I wouldn't have paid $10 more for them.

I just don't understand why every single company makes them like that. I cannot be the only one who just wants projectors, without the halos. I guess I can be like everybody else, and just get Chinese HIDs, with stock housings.... NOT. I might try the smoked ones, I think they will look the best on my truck, and you won't be able to notice the halos as much.

When I was exploring the idea of using HID's in my new to me PROJECTOR headlights I started pokeing around and asking the various vendors about HID compatability and what the maximum wattage HID and/or halogen can be ran in them. The responses I got was:
- Only compatable with the halogen 55w H1 bulbs that come in them.
- Not compatable with higher than 55w halogen H1 bulbs.
- Not compatable with HID.
- Compatable with any bulb that says it is acceptable for an OEM application.

Basically no real help at all.

My point is that if you intend to run HID in the housings, make sure to get a recomendation from the supplier for what wattage HID to run IN WRITTING/E-MAIL. That way if they get dammaged from it you have the proof that they said it was compatable with the HID.

Personally I am going to experiment with the HID in my projectiors. I will read the temp on the housing with the 55W halogens and then read them with the HID's and see if there is a temp issue. I know that there will be a long term coating issue with the coatings being exposed to the high IR component in the HID, but that is something I am willing to live with. I am mainly worried about the reports of the HID's supperheating the housings and damaging the coatings and plastics due to higher heat exposure.

It will all be in my write up thread on my heaadlights.

Good luck with your project.

Dan

When I was exploring the idea of using HID's in my new to me PROJECTOR headlights I started pokeing around and asking the various vendors about HID compatability and what the maximum wattage HID and/or halogen can be ran in them. The responses I got was:
- Only compatable with the halogen 55w H1 bulbs that come in them.
- Not compatable with higher than 55w halogen H1 bulbs.
- Not compatable with HID.
- Compatable with any bulb that says it is acceptable for an OEM application.

Basically no real help at all.

My point is that if you intend to run HID in the housings, make sure to get a recomendation from the supplier for what wattage HID to run IN WRITTING/E-MAIL. That way if they get dammaged from it you have the proof that they said it was compatable with the HID.

Personally I am going to experiment with the HID in my projectiors. I will read the temp on the housing with the 55W halogens and then read them with the HID's and see if there is a temp issue. I know that there will be a long term coating issue with the coatings being exposed to the high IR component in the HID, but that is something I am willing to live with. I am mainly worried about the reports of the HID's supperheating the housings and damaging the coatings and plastics due to higher heat exposure.

It will all be in my write up thread on my heaadlights.

Good luck with your project.

Dan
I really want to see the results, I will make sure to check you thread. I am seriously considering the stock projector mod, I do need a winter project, and I love electrical work, so I think it is right up my alley.

I also checked out that website, I could not find any non halo lights that also fit HIDs, so that was a no go.

subscribing.

My next upgrade will be headlights, but my wife and I are indeifferent about which ones to get.

From what I have seen so far the "stock projector mod" will kick butt all over the aftermarket direct fit stuff. The main bummer is that you need a clear front lens for it to really work well. That means you will have to buy an aftermarket replacement light first, then start dissassembling.

I was going to do that mod, but I ran across these first. At $60, it's hard to justify just going this way. Hell, for $60 I figureed worst case I can gut these and go for the "stock projector mod" on them.

Your best bet is to find aftermarket head light housings with clear lenses and do a projector retrofit....

The cheap Chinese halogen crap is not rated for PnP HID kits....different bulb focal points and the reflectpr paint is not rated for the uv radiation that hid bulbs have....

Your best bet is to find aftermarket head light housings with clear lenses and do a projector retrofit....

The cheap Chinese halogen crap is not rated for PnP HID kits....different bulb focal points and the reflectpr paint is not rated for the uv radiation that hid bulbs have....

The UV isn't the problem so much as all the heat made by the huge amount of light those bulbs are making, though the UV emissions also produce quite a bit of that heat too. Quality projectors use specialized reflective coatings and highly polished surfaces. The cheap halogen projectors use poorly bonded, cheap coatings or rough polished bowls. The cut off shields and lenses are also not optimized for use with an HID.

Cheap PnP kits also have a tendency to not work reliably. Also, the way that many aftermarket headlights work that convert single to dual beam, the low beam shuts off when the high comes on, since in your headlight, normally power to the low beam filament is cut off when the high comes on. When putting an HID in, you have the problem with your HID cycling on and off when warm, which shortens bulb life considerably.

Back