• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Front Struts

Minimalist

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
I need to replace the front struts on my 2005 Explorer. I am new to working on cars/trucks. I did a lot of reading here and on the internet but still have a few questions. I also have the Haynes Manual.

1. What is the best place for the jack stands? I tested lifting the truck and the place I feel most comfortable with is the front crossmember? Is that a good location? I tried the frame but the jack stands don't seem to have a solid contact. Don't know how to better describe this. English is not my first language.

2. What is the best procedure lifting the vehicle? Each side separate or lift the entire front at once? If the later where do you put the jack?

3. Do I need a torque wrench for the lower bolt? I do have a torque wrench for the upper nuts but it is not big enough for the torque required on the lower bolt.

Thanks for your help.

I usually place the jackstands under the frame of the truck, there a diamond hole to indicate the location (4 of them 2 on each side)

I have a floor jack and lift it one side at a time using the lower control arm.

It's better to have a correct torque wrench to tighten that big nut, but I think a breaker bar will do.

Back