Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Modified 1991-1994 Explorers

Notices

Modified 1991-1994 Explorers Questions concerning modifications to the 1991-1994 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and Navajo. Aftermarket accessories and modifications. Bullbar, running boards, floor mats, cargo mat, DVD headrest, wheels, tires, stereo upgrade, headlights, mud flaps, lift kits, engine swap, transmission swap.

9004 to 9007 headlight bulbs

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
9004 to 9007 headlight bulbs

I read a thread on here the other day about converting your stock 9004 bulbs to the brighter 9007 bulbs. I got some really cheap bulbs off ebay to try it with to see if it would be worth an investment of some quality bulbs. I also bought a set of wiring adapters that switch the wires over for the conversion, so all i have to do is plug it in and go. After reading some other headlight threads, i wonder if i need to wire some kind of relay in to make the conversion work. I want to get it right the first time so i dont burn anything up.
hunt4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
little x
SW VA
'91 XL

Vehicle Specs

A directly powered relay will reduce voltage drop between the battery and bulbs, resulting in slightly brighter lights. But it isn't at all required for the bulb swap.
little x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #3
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
X2, going without the relay will be just fine. Remember, you'll be comparing cheapo new bulbs to (probably) better brand old bulbs that will be dimmer with age. So brightness would be a secondary consideration to light scattering and beam pattern.

Whether you decide to stick with 9004 or go with 9007, relays will make the bulb brighter, so I would vote do it after you pick a bulb, then you can quantify the difference.

Are you planning on posting up some pics?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:07 AM   #4
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Get some good quality 9004 bulbs instead. It will give you much better lighting, and won't require modification to your headlamp or wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE59FORDF100 View Post
Dont forget numbers. Teacher Ladies LOVE numbers
FIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Jason94sport
South FL
93 Sport 2WD 5 speed

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Get some good quality 9004 bulbs instead.
That's what I choose to do. I have had some bad experiences burning wires/housings with headlight mods on other cars....I didn't want to chance it.
Jason94sport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I'll definitely post some pictures if i can figure out how to...I'm new to this forum and haven't figured it out yet.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM   #7
tweakedlogic
memphis, tn
'92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

there is a difference in the 9004 to 9007. I used Silverstars 9004 and a friend gave me some cheap 9007, so I did the mod and it is much better. I told myself that if I like them I would get the in the Silverstars, but I haven't needed to yet.

I did not use a relay, but I did upgrade the ground. I have had no troubles.

1992 XLT 4 door 4WD: 32s on 17" Mustang GT rims, 4.56 w/ modified LS in rear, 2.5" lift from F150 coil springs, F250 shock mounts, shackles, Pro comp shocks, hard way rear disc conversion, Ported and polished intake, Dynomax exhaust, e-fan, + other mods I've done since this edit. (Switches, Black,)
tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Does anyone have beam pattern pictures between the two? After doing more night driving I've come to find my low beams to be less than desirable.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Basically, the filament position of the 9007 bulb lights up the high beam portion of your headlamp reflector, making anyone who does this mod as big of a douche as idiots who use HID bulbs in their headlamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE59FORDF100 View Post
Dont forget numbers. Teacher Ladies LOVE numbers
FIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #10
tweakedlogic
memphis, tn
'92 XLT

Vehicle Specs

So your saying that everyone that wants brighter headlights so they can safely see the road at night is a douche?

I have to disagree. Not only because I've done this mod, but because your wrong about the filament, 9007 is nothing like HID in the wrong reflector. After I did this, I had to aim the lights up a little. If they took the high beam area I would have had to move them down. I never get flashed by drivers.

And don't call strangers names. It's not nice.

1992 XLT 4 door 4WD: 32s on 17" Mustang GT rims, 4.56 w/ modified LS in rear, 2.5" lift from F150 coil springs, F250 shock mounts, shackles, Pro comp shocks, hard way rear disc conversion, Ported and polished intake, Dynomax exhaust, e-fan, + other mods I've done since this edit. (Switches, Black,)
tweakedlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Anime
GREEN SCREAM!!
Hattiesburg, MS

'93 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Technical bulletin: 9004 & 9007 bulbs.

9004 and 9007 Bulbs
What are the differences? They look interchangeable— but they’re not.

When should I use 9007 bulbs?
Use 9007 bulbs in headlamps marked “DOT HR HB5” and wherever a 9007 was the original bulb.

When should I use 9004 bulbs?
Use 9004 bulbs in headlamps marked “DOT HR HB1” or “DOT HR” and wherever a 9004 was the original bulb.

The 9004 (HB1) bulb, introduced in 1983, was the first halogen replaceable
headlight bulb available for use in North America. It uses 12 Volts, has a
45 Watt low beam filament producing 700 lumens, and a 65 Watt high beam
filament producing 1200 lumens. These filaments are transverse—if you hold the
bulb upright, they run across the bulb from side to side.

The 9007 (HB5) bulb, introduced in 1992, uses 12 Volts, has a 55 Watt low beam filament
producing 1000 lumens, and a 65 Watt high beam filament producing 1350
lumens. These filaments are axial—if you hold the bulb upright, they run along the
bulb from top to bottom.

9004 and 9007 bulbs are keyed differently, so they can’t be interchanged, but
the higher light output of the 9007 tempts some people to try making 9007 bulbs fit
in headlamps designed for 9004 bulbs

This is not an upgrade, and it’s unsafe.

It’s important to use the specified bulb.

Each headlamp is designed to use only one type of headlamp bulb. It may be a
9004, a 9007, or some other type. Headlamps are optical instruments, and they
depend on the filament being very precisely oriented and placed exactly how
and where it’s supposed to be, in order to form a beam pattern with the right
amounts of light in the right places.

If the filament is improperly oriented or placed because the wrong kind of bulb
is used, the headlamp’s optics won’t see what they’re expecting to see, and they
won’t be able to do their job. The result will be a damaged beam pattern that
won’t provide safe seeing light for the driver, and
will cause blinding glare for other road users.

www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf

Please don't use 9007 bulbs in housings designed for 9004 bulbs.

"I think man has always gone where he has been able to go, and I think that when man stops going where he can go, he will have lost a lot. Man has always been an explorer. To me, there's a fascination in thrusting out and going to new places. It's like going through a door because you find the door in front of you." - Michael Collins
Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

This has become quite the contentious topic, as such I will get a hold of the same brand and style of bulb in both the 9004 and the 9007 flavor, then I will do my best to take comparative beam pics and an analysis.

Then we can all be friends and calm the hell down.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
IAmTodd
Explorer Addict
Johnstown, PA

1994 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naasau View Post
This has become quite the contentious topic, as such I will get a hold of the same brand and style of bulb in both the 9004 and the 9007 flavor, then I will do my best to take comparative beam pics and an analysis.

Then we can all be friends and calm the hell down.
Thank you. This will certainly help put this issue to rest. If its crappy I will retrofit projectors.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #14
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post

Thank you. This will certainly help put this issue to rest. If its crappy I will retrofit projectors.
Then it'll be up to you to post some comparitave photos between ye 9004 and projectors. Not same night, but maybe same location and so forth?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
hunt4lif3
Roanoke, Virginia
1994 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Finished the swap, and even with crappy ebay bulbs i can see way more than with my 9004 silverstars. I did have to adjust my lights down a little, but it was well worth the swap.I still cant figure out how to post the pictures I took...
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Lafferty
Rhode Island
'93 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Hey guys. I have a 93 xlt and the previous owner did a 9007 swap. I am now having an issue where my highs dim and the dash high indicator stays on 24/7. Any advice? Or ideas? Thanks.
Lafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
mr cribb
US Army Retired
Eufaula, OK

91 4dr 5spd 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafferty View Post
Hey guys. I have a 93 xlt and the previous owner did a 9007 swap. I am now having an issue where my highs dim and the dash high indicator stays on 24/7. Any advice? Or ideas? Thanks.
(CORRECT ANSWER) Change the bulbs to the correct 9004.

(MY EXPLANATION) The wiring difference between the 9004 and the 9007 is a power and ground. when a 9007 bulb is installed in a 9004 equipped truck, it trips the high beam indicator all the time.

My info may not be 100% spot on, but it is what I recall from when I did the bulb swap and asked the same question a couple years ago.

91 4x4 w/ bent frame.

92 2wd soon to be 4wd thanks to the 91.
mr cribb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #18
Naasau
Elite Explorer
Denver Colorado

'93 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

That might do it, but mine sure didn't behave that way after the swap.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #19
cloaked_chaos
Elite Explorer
Phoenix, Arizona
94 4x4 Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I know I am going to lose some respect from some members for admitting this, but I just did the 9007 swap in my explorer recently. I had to swap all three wires around in the harness (which should be the case for everybody doing the swap), and it isn't that difficult as long as you know what you are doing. Removing the bottom two locator tabs was also easy. My beam pattern only changed slightly, to be brighter, a bit more focused, and also higher. All I had to do was aim my headlights down a bit so I don't blind other drivers, which is difficult enough already since I have a total of about 8" of lift (susp+tires). The other members speak the truth when they say it lights up the high beam portion of the reflector, which is the reason you must aim your headlights lower. This also means you no longer have high beams, just brighter low beams. This does not affect me, because I have a brush guard on the front I will be installing some spotlights on, which will be aimed higher for offroading.

This mod works in my case, but is not recommended for people who have no other option for high beams. I for one am enjoying my much brighter lights. I could barely see my beams on the ground before, and now I have approximately the same beam pattern, but brighter. This is also due to the fact that I did a bit of research and chose the bulbs that I feel have the best reviews on various forums around the internet. The bulbs I went with are the Phillips X-treme Power 9007 bulbs. I got them from amazon for about $28 and they also have a $10 mail in rebate. I would recommend these over the sylvania bulbs you find at auto parts stores any day.

94 Explorer 4x4 Auto Limited - 5.5" Lift, 33x12.50 tires on Crager Soft 8 rims, Powertrax No-Slip Rear Locker, 70mm MAF, Cone Filter, Flowmaster 40 Delta, Clear Corners, Brush Guard, Two 12" subs w/ 1200-watt amp
cloaked_chaos is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: