Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Hissing while idling... EVAP system leak?

Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
foxtemple
Philadelphia, PA
2011 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Hissing while idling... EVAP system leak?

Sometimes [I would say rarely] when I start my ex via the remote start option on the key fob, I hear a hissing sound. It sounds like a tea pot kind of.... It goes away after about a minute. I heard somewhere that it could be a leak in the EVAP system? I also read that this type of leak should trigger a check engine light to turn on? I'm going to bring it up to my dealer during my next service but I just want to know if anyone else is experiencing the same thing. It doesn't really seem to effect the performance of my ex at all. The sound is just odd.

( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Dr Plastic
Elite Explorer
Newport News, Virginia

'13 XLT FWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Not a leak but it may be the EVAP system doing a "leak down" test. at Start up the EVAP system has a small compressor that pressurizes the system. it looks for any leak down in the system. It measures the amount of leakage over a 1 minute period. a certain amount is allowed but if it is more than the predetermined limit it will flag the system for a leak. This was a problem when the OBD III rules came out. Especially if you left the gas cap loose or off. You are hearing that compressor running and or hearing the pressurized air venting after the test.

U.S. Army Retired, 1978 - 1998

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Dr Plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:50 PM   #3
dbm1515
Jena, Louisiana
2011 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mine is still doing this on a cold startup. Tea kettling whistle. I had the fuel pump changed and that wasn't it. Is this noise on all of them?
dbm1515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
evap leak, hissing