Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Explorer Police Interceptor

Old 12-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #61
tinner
Lee's Summit, Mo.
2013 Explorer Limited AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
Looks like there is a cable of some kind coming out at the bottom of the passengers door and taped to the molding. Is that for the 'heated' seats?

Peter

Electrical hook-up for the prisoner sidecar option
tinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #62
midnightsun
Elite Explorer
2012 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I hear the interceptor AWD rocks compared to the Consumer version. Anyone drive both that can compare?

Trying to get mine flashed to the Pursuit version....doubt ford service will do so.

We're sponsored by AMSOIL, BlueMarble Oil, RiversWest, Roetin Racing, PowerMadd, Honda HPD, & Ski-doo. 2x Regional Champs!

Last edited by midnightsun; 01-14-2014 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Adding more
midnightsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #63
elitek9
Boyle, Alberta
2014 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
I love the Utility Interceptors! Our Sheriff Highway Patrol Units here in Alberta bought a bunch of them... they are very nice machines!

I think Ford really dropped the ball in finding a quick replacement for the Crown Vics, though. I'm with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and as of right now we are going to all Chevy Tahoe's (2wd, Pursuit-rated) and Ford F-150's (4wd). Would have loved to see more Utility Interceptors.

@ Sgt1411... I love the push bar on the grey Interceptor in the pic you posted. We wanted to put one on our Sport, but there's too much modification involved.
elitek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #64
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elitek9 View Post
I love the Utility Interceptors! Our Sheriff Highway Patrol Units here in Alberta bought a bunch of them... they are very nice machines!

I think Ford really dropped the ball in finding a quick replacement for the Crown Vics, though. I'm with the RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) and as of right now we are going to all Chevy Tahoe's (2wd, Pursuit-rated) and Ford F-150's (4wd). Would have loved to see more Utility Interceptors.

@ Sgt1411... I love the push bar on the grey Interceptor in the pic you posted. We wanted to put one on our Sport, but there's too much modification involved.
The RCMP have a National Fleet representative on the Ford Police Advisory Board, they just bought 1500 Interceptor Utility's in 2013 with more to come in 2014 so say good bye to your Tahoe's.

The Setina pushbar is a direct bolt on, which one were you using?

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Sgt1411 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #65
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
I hear the interceptor AWD rocks compared to the Consumer version. Anyone drive both that can compare?

Trying to get mine flashed to the Pursuit version....doubt ford service will do so.
I was involved in the testing and development of the Interceptor Utility and Sedan.

They have the 3.7L Lincoln V6 in them and the AWD EPAS is a completely special tune for Police. They cant flash anything Police related into a retail vehicle.

Legally or technically.

2014 Explorer SPORT 401A Rapid Spec, Tuxedo Black, Charcoal Interior, Navigation, Dual Panel Moonroof, 2nd Row Buckets & Console, OEM Invision LT Series DVD Headrests, Tow Package, Inflatable Seatbelts, 28% Tint Fronts, Husky Liners, NuSheild, Blizzak DV-M1 Snows on Interceptor Steel Wheels TMPS,Diode Dynamics 4300K HID Kit, Gorilla Black Lug Nut Kit
Old 01-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #66
elitek9
Boyle, Alberta
2014 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt1411 View Post
The RCMP have a National Fleet representative on the Ford Police Advisory Board, they just bought 1500 Interceptor Utility's in 2013 with more to come in 2014 so say good bye to your Tahoe's.

The Setina pushbar is a direct bolt on, which one were you using?
They must be sending them all to the other provinces. We have been told no SUV or Car Interceptors, just Tahoes (We are waiting for 2 Tahoes and 2 F-150s at our detachment right now. All of our traffic units have been getting Tahoes too.
elitek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:15 AM   #67
dkeene
Jeep Cherokee

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
LCD Switchout

Howdy
I was thinking about getting an explorer interceptor. I see that they all come with the tiny LCD screen. Is there a way to upgrade to the MyTouch system?
Thanks
Doug
dkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:53 AM   #68
Mildot
2013 Explorer PI

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Sgt1411, great thread, I have a 2013 Explorer PI, and I have a question about the AC. After I turn off the AC, and go to the vent, I get a "funky" smell through the vents? is this normal? or should I have my dealer check it out?

Good work on your feedback and comments, well done!
BTW, this is my first "new" vehicle that uses the "oil life" indicator, is that the "rule" now and not the 5000 miles/km for maintenance? At what percentage does the indicator let you know its time to change the oil? Thanks
Mildot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #69
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildot View Post
Sgt1411, great thread, I have a 2013 Explorer PI, and I have a question about the AC. After I turn off the AC, and go to the vent, I get a "funky" smell through the vents? is this normal? or should I have my dealer check it out?

Good work on your feedback and comments, well done!
BTW, this is my first "new" vehicle that uses the "oil life" indicator, is that the "rule" now and not the 5000 miles/km for maintenance? At what percentage does the indicator let you know its time to change the oil? Thanks
The engineers have a specific algorithm designed for severe duty use thats programmed into the Interceptor OLMS to ensure that idle time is taken into consideration. It also looks at a whole host of things like driving characteristics, RPM's, engine temperatures to name a few. OLMS is the best possible solution to ensure the oil is changed when its needed. Based on severe driving its never at the exact same intervals.

I know what you mean about the switch from AC to VENT.

Mine has same issue but I think thats only for a few seconds then it clears itself. IS yours longer then that?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #70
Mildot
2013 Explorer PI

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey thanks for the reply, ya just a few seconds, and it's gone.

So just wait for the oil indicator to come on? I have a couple of free oil changes and wanted to "max" them out, LOL
Mildot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #71
Trac Marks
Sport Trac

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Noticed our local Chief swapped his year-old Tahoe for a brand new PIE. Hoping the selling dealer tossed in the aftermarket wheels & Toyo tires.

Pardon the camera quality, I have a budget I must adhere to...

Speaking of wheels/tires, way I understand it the only visible difference between a 2WD & AWD Police packaged Tahoe are the wheels. Black = 2WD, silver = AWD.
Trac Marks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #72
pingbling23
2012 Explorer Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Those wheels look awful on that interceptor.
pingbling23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 PM   #73
spoiry
Elite Explorer
New Haven, Indiana
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We now have six of these in our fleet. They are great vehicles! the first three were unmarked for administrative duties and the other three are fully marked. Of the marked units one is a prisoner transport and the other two are assigned to our canine unit.
spoiry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #74
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Can I ask you help your chief pick out some wheels that look good with the Ex?....those are gross!

Even the black steel wheels look better.

Ford has aluminum wheels avail now in the Street Appearance Package that can be ordered.

The quickest way to tell if its an Interceptor is the gear shifter on the steering wheel column, if its not there it ain't an Interceptor version.

He's got the EcoBoost grill and hood lettering on the original Interceptor Utility?

They stopped making the Utility in a FWD, for 2014MY its only made in AWD.

The Interceptor Sedan will come in FWD and now it can come in a 2.0L EcoBoost version but its called SSV not Pursuit.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #75
spoiry
Elite Explorer
New Haven, Indiana
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Sgt. 1411,

My biggest complaint with the Ford Police Interceptor is that no one makes a beauty ring for these wheels yet.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #76
spoiry
Elite Explorer
New Haven, Indiana
2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Here is a video of our first marked Ford Police Interceptor Utility in 2013. We recently received two additional Utility Interceptors that will serve as canine vehicles and will be equipped with push bars. City of New Haven, Indiana Police Department

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200346983092110" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200346983092110">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/RBSalesEmergency">R &amp; B Sales - Emergency Lighting</a>.</div></div>
Old 05-24-2014, 11:32 PM   #77
NOFEARCT
Boston, MA
2014 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I am so glad I found this thread... very useful read as I plan to do a lot of these mods to my new sport. I am thinking of putting a pushbar on my car but I am concerned that it would require significant modification. Can anyone confirm that the Setina unit will fit easily? This would also make a great platform for mouningt a 20 inch Rigid light bar... or two.

I am looking at ordering the steel wheels in the coming days and running them year round with some beefier tires. Do you think I can fit 275/60's on the steelies? They should clear I assume? Or perhaps 255/65/18's? I just traded in my 2007 F150KR and I miss my 35's

Last edited by NOFEARCT; 05-25-2014 at 12:29 AM.
NOFEARCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 AM   #78
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Here are some pics compliments of Spoiry

Old 05-25-2014, 02:06 AM   #79
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFEARCT View Post
I am so glad I found this thread... very useful read as I plan to do a lot of these mods to my new sport. I am thinking of putting a pushbar on my car but I am concerned that it would require significant modification. Can anyone confirm that the Setina unit will fit easily? This would also make a great platform for mouningt a 20 inch Rigid light bar... or two.

I am looking at ordering the steel wheels in the coming days and running them year round with some beefier tires. Do you think I can fit 275/60's on the steelies? They should clear I assume? Or perhaps 255/65/18's? I just traded in my 2007 F150KR and I miss my 35's
Go to the Modifiers Guide on the Ford Fleet Website to see correct mounting.

If your Sport has Adaptive Cruise Control I'm not sure if the Setina Pushbar blocks the signal sending unit.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #80
Sgt1411
Elite Explorer
VanBC/GoodyearAZ

2014 Explorer SPORT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkeene View Post
Howdy
I was thinking about getting an explorer interceptor. I see that they all come with the tiny LCD screen. Is there a way to upgrade to the MyTouch system?
Thanks
Doug
MyFord Touch is not offered with the Interceptor Sedan or Utility. Not even and option, only the 4" SYNC screen voice navigation. I dont even think the base Interceptor vehicle electronics would support a MFT retrofit unit.

Suggest this thread to friends: