2003 ford explorer xlt won't start with battery fully charged | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 ford explorer xlt won't start with battery fully charged

ChuckFinley

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I went to start my 2003 Ford Explorer sport xlt and it wouldn't start. No dash lights other than the theft light (flashing) lit up when i turned the key. No clicking from a froze starter or any noise at all. Now when i turned the key to the off position and took it out of the ignition i heard a lot of clicking noises coming from under the steering column from a black back. hard to see what it was since it is my daughter's car and the seat is way up toward the front and i can barely get in there. The Seat lumbar works, but i have yet to check other things out.
Has any heard of anything like this? we got the car off of someone and do not have the code for the keyless entry on the door. We do NOT have a remote for unlocking the doors. The power door locks do not work.

When you turn the key to the "ON" position without cranking, can you hear the fuel pump priming? With the key in the ignition is the theft light flashing rapidly, if so it probably indicates a issue with the PATS anti-theft system. A good locksmith or dealer may be the only options for repair if it is a issue with the PATS system. If you have a spare key, try using it.

i do not hear anything when i turn the key to the ON position. I have to pull the battery and see if it has a full charge still and check that ticking noise again. that went off when i turned the key to the on position but i did not hear the fuel pump power up the last time i checked. The theft light turns out when the key is in this position. the theft blinks when the key is out of the ignition

turns out that battery had a short. I took it out and put a battery tester on it. BAD. took it back under warranty and got a new one. Vehicle is running again.

Although a battery could be showing fully charged, put it on a tester to see if there is a short in it people, words of wisdom ;)

Back