Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > All Other Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles etc. > All Other Makes and Models

Notices

All Other Makes and Models For topics involving all other makes and models that do not fit into our new sub-forums.

2003 ford explorer xlt won't start with battery fully charged

Old 01-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
ChuckFinley
2003 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Unhappy 2003 ford explorer xlt won't start with battery fully charged

I went to start my 2003 Ford Explorer sport xlt and it wouldn't start. No dash lights other than the theft light (flashing) lit up when i turned the key. No clicking from a froze starter or any noise at all. Now when i turned the key to the off position and took it out of the ignition i heard a lot of clicking noises coming from under the steering column from a black back. hard to see what it was since it is my daughter's car and the seat is way up toward the front and i can barely get in there. The Seat lumbar works, but i have yet to check other things out.
Has any heard of anything like this? we got the car off of someone and do not have the code for the keyless entry on the door. We do NOT have a remote for unlocking the doors. The power door locks do not work.
ChuckFinley is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Blee1099
Evil Asian
Elkridge, MD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
When you turn the key to the "ON" position without cranking, can you hear the fuel pump priming? With the key in the ignition is the theft light flashing rapidly, if so it probably indicates a issue with the PATS anti-theft system. A good locksmith or dealer may be the only options for repair if it is a issue with the PATS system. If you have a spare key, try using it.
Blee1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
ChuckFinley
2003 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
i do not hear anything when i turn the key to the ON position. I have to pull the battery and see if it has a full charge still and check that ticking noise again. that went off when i turned the key to the on position but i did not hear the fuel pump power up the last time i checked. The theft light turns out when the key is in this position. the theft blinks when the key is out of the ignition
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
ChuckFinley
2003 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
turns out that battery had a short. I took it out and put a battery tester on it. BAD. took it back under warranty and got a new one. Vehicle is running again.

Although a battery could be showing fully charged, put it on a tester to see if there is a short in it people, words of wisdom

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
ignition, starting problem, theft light