Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorers and Rangers for 20 years 1996 - 2016

Searches ExplorerForum.com Only

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

2016 Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Elite Rides Reviews Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2017 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
doney67
Maryland
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Is there a TSB for hard shifting?

It's probably been posted here before or not, but here it goes I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission it doesnt happen often but when it does its a lound "clank" sound when it goes to gear.
doney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including the blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, add your own avatar to your posts, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today. Your support of the forum is greatly appreciated.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #2
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doney67 View Post
It's probably been posted here before or not, but here it goes I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission it doesnt happen often but when it does its a lound "clank" sound when it goes to gear.
There have been posts regarding several problems with transmissions. I did a search on TSB and found the following in a thread entitled Transmission Problems?

I had this issue. I referenced a TSB related to this issue when I went in and was able to get my car fixed, even though they were not able to reproduce the condition while I was there. From what my service guy said there is a check valve in the transmission that randomly sticks and causes it to slam into gear. After the fix I haven't had any problems with the transmission.

Here's the TSB:

2011 Ford Explorer Power Train Service Bulletin 286479

NHTSA: Action Number: 10039121 Service Bulletin Number: 286479
Report Date:
May 10, 2011Component:
Power Train
Summary: Ford: there may be a sluggish acceleration or hesitation feeling when rolling to a stop. This will be followed by a harsh bump. *rm

Not sure if that comes close to what you are experiencing.

Peter

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Quote:
...I have a 2011 Explorer XLT with about 16k miles every once in awhile i get a hard shift from not sure which gear it comming from but it happens when im slowing down and when i accelerate i get that bump in the transmission...
doney67,

I’m available to help with your concern by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can lend a hand, please send a PM with your VIN, contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordExplorer facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
doney67
Maryland
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Peter that is what exactly what im getting thanks for the info!
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
doney67
Maryland
2016 Explorer XLT 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
PM sent Cory thanks!
Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
PM sent Cory thanks!
Thanks for the heads up, doney67. There are a few PMs before yours, so I’ll send a reply as soon as I can.

Cory

Old 05-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
knwill03
Woodhall Spa, England
2011 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am having the exact same problem. To add pain to this I now live in England and am having a hard time explaining to the dealership what the deal is and getting them to agree to work on this. any suggestions
knwill03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
gpzrider
Los Angeles, CA
2012 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

Has anyone had this TSB performed on an EX built after 4/11? My EX has had this problem for over a year. It has been in 3 times for it. They only thing they have done is software updating, etc. I'm taking it in for the burning smell TSB and would like to have my shifting finally fixed. Of course the dealer will not order any parts in preparation because my build date is 7/11 and not covered by the TSB which is limited to 4/11 builds. One interesting issue is that the TSB specifically references transmissions with the Mercon LV designation on the transmission dipstick. My EX has that designation yet built on 7/11. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
gpzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #9
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

Same problem here, 5/11 build date, just outside of TSB. I have had this problem surface several times. Took it to the dealer, "could not duplicate" supposedly updated something, sent me on my way.....still unresolved.
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
myfoot
Illinois quad cities
2011 limited

Vehicle Specs

Not sure what my wife's Ex build date is, but she's noticed it a few times lately. I was going to mention it when I took it in for the next oil change. It's funny because the whole time I drove down to Florida and back, I never noticed it but while I was with her a few times I noticed it as well.
myfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #11
SplashRI
RI
2011 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is the same as yours with a build of 5/11. The shifting is really rough when I am going slow like in traffic or such. Been in twice and they have given me the "can't duplicate" and the TSB doesn't apply to it because it has a build date after 4/11. Still have a while on my warranty so hopefully something with come up before that ends.
SplashRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
1sttimeford
Atlanta, GA
2011 Explorer Limited 301

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Our build date is 4/30/11 and we experienced the hard shifting issue when driving at slow speeds in our neighborhood.

We have speed humps thru-out the neighborhood and when you would slow down to cross the hump and then put your foot back on the gas the transmission would slam so hard you would think you'd been rear ended.

We took it in to be looked at under the TSB. The service mgr called us later that day and said they opened up the transmission to perform the work and then realized the TSB "fix" had already been applied at the factory. So they put it back together and did nothing.

Interestingly tho, after we got it back the issue is now gone. It used to happen weekly, and now I think it has happened once in the last year, and much less severe than before.

I wish I knew exactly what "did nothing" was, but it was effective.
1sttimeford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #13
gpzrider
Los Angeles, CA
2012 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

I was really hoping to get some love from Ford Customer Service. My EX has been in the shop from 30 to 35 days since I purchased it. It has had the following TSB performed: 1. A pillar rattle, 2. Rain roof noise, 3. Coolant hose replacement, 4. Squeaking front suspension. In addition, the windshield cowl replaced, both front HIDs replaced and been in 3 times for the transmission bump issue, the continued squeaky front suspension. I'm not going to bother mentioning the MFT. What do I need to do to get a car that works as expected? How many times, how many days does it have to spend at the dealer for me to get my money's worth out of this car? Sorry for ranting.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #14
cnsheets
2011 Explemoner

Vehicle Specs

Last edited by cnsheets; 01-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
cnsheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Hey everyone!

The first step is making an appointment with your dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, you can reach out to me so I can see how I can assist; all I need from you is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Thanks,

Crystal

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #16
gpzrider
Los Angeles, CA
2012 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
The first step is making an appointment with your dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, you can reach out to me so I can see how I can assist; all I need from you is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!
My dealer has already taken a look. 3 times in fact. First they could not duplicate the problem. Then I had to drive the service manager around and reproduce the problem for him. He acknowledged it. The only thing they did was reboot the transmission software. Well, it didn't work. Now I've waited a week and a half for the burning smell parts to arrive. I've complained about this problem since my car was 3 months old.

All I want to do is take it in one more time and have everything fixed. My dealer is refusing to order the TSB parts because it does not cover my build year. Well, another software reboot will do absolutely nothing, so why can't they get approval to try the transmission TSB.

In an effort to solve the "burning oil smell" they performed the "coolant hose replacement TSB" when it didn't even apply.

Mark my customer service regional manage is already in contact with me. I have him on Speed Dial.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
Bill #5 Explorer
Elite Explorer
Chicago Area
2016 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Prior to having mine done for this TSB, I covered about +34,000 miles in the first year, and I got the "BUMP" 2 or 3 times. Very alarming. Looked in the rear mirror for transmission parts. It was that bad.

Since last Spring, and after having the TSB done, and another +30,000 miles, NO MORE BUMP.

Search my 'username' and you'll find a thread I started listing the TSB's part numbers and such.
Bill #5 Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Dearborn, MI

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzrider View Post
My dealer has already taken a look. 3 times in fact. First they could not duplicate the problem. Then I had to drive the service manager around and reproduce the problem for him. He acknowledged it. The only thing they did was reboot the transmission software. Well, it didn't work. Now I've waited a week and a half for the burning smell parts to arrive. I've complained about this problem since my car was 3 months old.

All I want to do is take it in one more time and have everything fixed. My dealer is refusing to order the TSB parts because it does not cover my build year. Well, another software reboot will do absolutely nothing, so why can't they get approval to try the transmission TSB.

In an effort to solve the "burning oil smell" they performed the "coolant hose replacement TSB" when it didn't even apply.

Mark my customer service regional manage is already in contact with me. I have him on Speed Dial.
Hi gpzrider,

I'm glad to hear that you've been in touch with Mark; he'll be in the best position to assist you. Keep in mind that if you would prefer, you can always get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Please reach out to me if you need any additional assistance.

Crystal

Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #19
Fredridge
Los Angeles, CA
2011 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have it, not sure about my build date, but my dealer won't do anything about it because they can't recreate it.

Honestly, I have that and other issues and have just about given up on getting things fixed that I am able to live with.

Sometimes hard to believe these things cost 40k
Fredridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
gpzrider
Los Angeles, CA
2012 Limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Thank you Crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustSrvc View Post
Please reach out to me if you need any additional assistance.Crystal
Thank you Crystal.

Can you please call Dino at South Bay Ford in Torrance, CA and authorize the transmission bump TSB for my car? That is all I need. They are totally willing to perform it if Ford says OK. That would really be a big help. Thanks again for offering to assist.

Carlos

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
clunk sound, transmission