Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2016 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Keeps dying

Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
KBFordExp

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Keeps dying

My 2011 Explorer has died four times since November. The dealership can't seem to find a problem. After the third time, they replaced the battery (apparently, this was the only time it tested dead). Well, it just died for the fouth time overnight. The forunate thing is, it's always dead in our driveway and not when I'm out anywhere.

Any suggestions, BTDT....anything....going back to the dealer again tomorrow....
KBFordExp is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

Join the Elite Explorers for only $20 a year. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Dr Plastic
Elite Explorer
Newport News, Virginia

'13 XLT FWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Alternator is dying or already dead!

U.S. Army Retired, 1978 - 1998

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Dr Plastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Flag Gibby
Flagstaff, AZ
2006 Mountaineer AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Sounds to me like an interior light or auxillary device staying on draining the battery overnight. If it was the alternator the battery wouldn't charge back up enough and it would still not start again once you go to leave your destination.

2006 Mountaineer AWD 4.0L with factory tow, EBC USR rotors with green stuff pads, K&N drop in, flowmaster cat-back, and superchips 1865
Flag Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBFordExp View Post
My 2011 Explorer has died four times since November. The dealership can't seem to find a problem. After the third time, they replaced the battery (apparently, this was the only time it tested dead). Well, it just died for the fouth time overnight. The forunate thing is, it's always dead in our driveway and not when I'm out anywhere.

Any suggestions, BTDT....anything....going back to the dealer again tomorrow....
Are talking about the battery or the vehicle stopping when it is running? It sounds like the vehicle dies when running.
If it is the battery you're talking about, mine seems to have a problem keeping a full charge lately. When I had it in for an oil change in October, the tech asked if I had a trickle charger because although the battery tested okay, it was not fully charged. I bought a charger and the first time it took 4 hours to fully charge the battery on a 2A charge. A month later I chargerd it again. On Jan. 3rd when I turned the Ex off I received a message on the MFT saying "Battery Saver Program OFF - turn off ignition or start the vehicle".I charged the battery for 5 hours to a full charge and the message no longer came back until last Thursday when I again brought the battery back to full charge.
It seems that there have been quite a few owners replacing batteries, some of which are only a month or so old.

Peter

Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
KBFordExp

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
It's always dead in the morning. So far, only been stuck at home. Never stopped running while I was driving. After the third time of it being dead, they replaced the battery. That was less than a month ago. Calling Ford again in the morning. My BIL says alternator also and he teaches auto mechanics. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Took my Explorer in today to have the Winter wheels swapped with the OEM wheels and mentioned that I had to charge the battery several times as per my post in this thread. They did a test and ended up replacing the battery under warranty.

Peter

Last edited by peterk9; 03-29-2013 at 09:48 AM.
peterk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
KBFordExp

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
They finally found a problem after the fourth time. There was a bad switch somewhere. No problems since, although I do still hold my breath that it will start.

Suggest this thread to friends: