Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

1996 Ranger - No power to ignition, get a load of this...

Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
RacerXGTO
California
1996 Ranger 4 Banger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1996 Ranger - No power to ignition, get a load of this...

I make this entry for posterity. I've also been lurking around here and have found a great source of help working on my own Ranger, perhaps my findings will help others as you've helped me.
_____

Problem - No power to ignition switch. Cab lights work, headlights work, everything else works, but absolutely no power to the ignition switch for ignition or accessories.

Checking the basics - Fuses, OK. All fuses have ohms continuity, power is getting to the Ignition 50A engine bay fuse box. All the fuses in the PCM(interior fuse box) check out OK and power readings are taken by the fuse box. Fusible links and wires to relay check out OK

Checking the ignition switch under the steering wheel -
Using a power meter, no power readings can be made from ANY of the four hot yellow wires.

When I got to this point, I was about ready to go thermonuclear. My hatred toward Ford was about to go off the scale. All I could envision was something buried deep in the wire harness that required the entire dashboard to be pulled out just to get to a stupid short. But then I thought, forget it, I'll just run a 10 gauge wire from the battery, fuse it with the 50Amp fuse and run it right to the switch. Another part of me said, jiggle something and see what happens. I jiggled the ignition harness wire and heard some arcing noise inside the harness. Ah! Ok, so this may be within reach. I disconnected the battery (-) and began carefully cutting off the harness wrap back exposing all the yellow hot wires and low and behold the culprit was found. You just cannot make this stuff up. In all of Ford's brilliance, they hot crimped the four switch wires together and then wrapped the hot ignition wire from the fuse box together inside the harness. No bridging block, no connector, just wrapped. And as many miles of bumps, potholes would have it, eventually it came undone and ceased all power to the switch. I made the repair as shown in the pictures, wrapped my wire lug good so it wouldn't ground out on the steering column by accident. I took a Dremmel wire wheel attachment and brushed all the copper wire good. They were all crudded up with that sticky wire wrap, so I wanted to ensure a solid electrical connection with bare copper touching bare copper before sliding on the wire lug nut and sealing it shut. Double checked my work, reconnected the battery, started right up.

RacerXGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
Jack Flash
Ethel, MS
(3) '88 BII's, '99 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like the wire lug repair. never would have thought of that ! now I have more ways to repair similar disconnects.

www.jimboarmy.com
Latest Project: '86 Ranger 4X4
Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
McCormack
S.E. WI
2000 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing. Ford doesn't seem to be real proficient at designing wiring, because a couple of years ago I could only get one speed out of my heater/AC blower motor, and after checking all the obvious stuff I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I took it to the stealership, and $230 later it turned out to be a wiring harness connector. Not one of Ford's better ideas.
McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
RacerXGTO
California
1996 Ranger 4 Banger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
heh, weeding out electrical Gremlins is no picnic. I jokingly tell myself these are all descendants of the Pinto, it could blow at any time.
:p
RacerXGTO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: