• Register Today It's free!

Remote start smart phone app ?

billyg900

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer xlt
When i purchased my 2013 xlt around the end of januaruy, i mentioned to the sales person that i want to have ford remote start installed, he called his parts guy to get me info,

The parts guy mentioned that a smartphone app was coming out in a couple months so I decided to wait

Has anybody heard anything about this ?

Im guessing some kind of bluetooth link

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

GM has had it with an OnStar App for years, nothing from Ford.

They have enough trouble with just trying to stabilize MFT

The Ford remotes are radio frequency, not cellular.

Unless it was within wifi range, a smartphone app would have to be cellular.

Since MFT does not have a cellular connection like Onstar (except when your smartphone is linked) there wouldn't be a way for a smartphone app to work.

I'd guess either there is a secret plan to build in a cellular connection to MFT (yeah right - like they should try that before they get the existing POS working right) or the parts guy is mistaken or misinformed.

When i purchased my 2013 xlt around the end of januaruy, i mentioned to the sales person that i want to have ford remote start installed, he called his parts guy to get me info,

The parts guy mentioned that a smartphone app was coming out in a couple months so I decided to wait

Has anybody heard anything about this ?

Im guessing some kind of bluetooth link

Hi, billyg900!

It sounds like he was talking about the MyFord Mobile app; it's available for the following plug-in hybrid vehicles: 2012 Focus Electric, 2013 Fusion, and 2013 C-Max. If you'd still like to have a remote start on your Explorer, please contact your dealer to have it installed.

Rebecca

So I noticed that ford added an app for Lincoln's that does this (w added hardware on your car obviously) in the iOS App Store. Lincoln remote access.

Ignore the fact that the app is hideous... Will this be coming to ford vehicles--- my 2013 explorer specifically?!

I will definitely pony up extra money for this on my ex.

So I noticed that ford added an app for Lincoln's that does this (w added hardware on your car obviously) in the iOS App Store. Lincoln remote access.

Ignore the fact that the app is hideous... Will this be coming to ford vehicles--- my 2013 explorer specifically?!

I will definitely pony up extra money for this on my ex.

Hi, nitzer51!

I'm not aware of any after-market kits like that for Ford vehicles; Crystal (FordCustSvrc) would know better than me since I don't handle remote start. Shoot her a PM or keep an eye out here:

http://www.fordparts.com/products/accessories-electronics.aspx

Rebecca

You can see the App here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id587055049?mt=8

It says "To control vehicle features, Genuine Lincoln Accessories hardware must be installed on your vehicle by an authorized lincoln Dealer. " but I can't find any part numbers, or explanation of the hardware. I tried searching the ford accessories site for the cars listed as compatible, but found nothing related.

That looks very similar to the OnStar App I use on my wife's Terrain.

Since SYNC/MFT doesn't have an OnStar built in cellular modem to receive the signal from the phone the extra hardware is likely some type of receiver module connected to the CANBUS.

Very interesting

Thanks Rebecca...

Yea I thought it was very interesting! I'm ready to spend some cash on my baby girl! She's almost one and needs a bday gift! Haha

So how does the App talk to the vehicle?

It looks like this will be available for newer Ford vehicles also. I downloaded the app and under the 'demo' part it has an MKX and Explorer as vehicles on that persons "account". I have also found a reference to it being available on 2011-2013 MKX, 2013 MKT and 2013 MKS. All those vehicles have the same hardware/software as the 2011-2013 Explorer and 2013 Flex. The app just came out last week so it's possibly real soon it will be released. I also found this:

https://my.fordremoteaccess.com/login

The iTunes app store also shows a Ford Remote Access app and lists supported vehicles, including the 2011-2013 Ex.

They added that on march 4th!!

Sooo can I go to the dealer to get the module installed tomorrow? Lol

The app was developed by SpinDance, which also gets the unspecified subscription fee, according to the software agreement. Spin Dance worked on Car Link for Audiovox as described here: http://spindance.com/case-carlink.php

Here is the link to Car Link: http://www.voxcarlink.com The Ford system will probably be similar.

So how does the App talk to the vehicle?

Cellular with added hardware and a subscription fee. It probably uses the AT&T network.

yea i did some snooping on the sites provided by others on this thread (thanks guys) and it looks like it is $50 for the first year then $80/year after that.

it looks like hardware for the vehicle is around $230..? Plus labor. All and all i think I will stop by my dealer next weekend for it... haha. hopefully they have the details and parts!

do i need the feature? absolutely not... but do I want it? hell yes!

Had a chance to call my dealer here in Bellevue wa. Parts dept had no idea what this was. I had to explain it to him.

IVT any idea when this will be available to consumers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... IVT any idea when this will be available to consumers?

Crystal (FordCustSvrc) would know better than me since she handles remote start and such. Shoot her a PM with your questions. :)

Rebecca

Back