Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Truck died while driving and won't start

Old 03-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
sissy25
Bend,Oregon
1991 2.3L Ford Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Roll Truck died while driving and won't start

Not sure if this is in the right place. If not, I am sorry. Anyway, while driving, my 1991 ford ranger (2.3L twin plug) just died on me and had to be towed home. Plenty of fuel, new fuel filter but it doesn't seem top be getting any spark. Could it be the ignition module and where the heck is that on this engine.
sissy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
DAT05EXPLODER
Hampton, New Hampshire
2002 XLT 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not familiar with your vehicle at all, but if its cap and rotor start with that. Maybe coil pack if that's what it has. I would do more research for you but I'm on my cell phone.

Looks to be coil. I would try that first. You can always get a spark tester for a few bucks at AutoZone to test first.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Runnin'OnEmpty
Southeast USA
2000 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy25 View Post
Not sure if this is in the right place. If not, I am sorry. Anyway, while driving, my 1991 ford ranger (2.3L twin plug) just died on me and had to be towed home. Plenty of fuel, new fuel filter but it doesn't seem top be getting any spark. Could it be the ignition module and where the heck is that on this engine.
I once had that engine in a Capri, and yes the trouble
could indeed be the ignition module. They were failure
prone.
It's located on the front end of the intake manifold,
toward the radiator on the driver's side. An aluminum
box a few inches square (or rectangular). Can't miss it.

2000 Sport 4x2, 4.0 ohv, 5R55E w/Superior shift kit, 3.55 diff, Mazda truck alloys/BFG TAs, RoadMaster Active Suspension, EE anti-sway bar, F&R poly bushings, camber kit, Rancho shocks, Hooker Aero Chamber muffler, Medium Wedgewood Blue.....

Bought another 2000 Sport (God help me), 4.0 ohv auto, 60K actual miles, Cragar SS alloys/BFG TAs, AAL, EE anti-sway bar, Gibson cat-back, Harvest Gold, GT leather interior.
Runnin'OnEmpty is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page