09' Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD Brake Job Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

09' Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD Brake Job Help

chriswh86

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Just had a look at the rear brakes the other day before the rain hit...

Im still on the original pads and rotors but its time to change it up. I have all the parts needed, brake pads and rotors for both the front and the rear...

I took the rear tire off and noticed 2 little clip things on the 2 studs on the outside of the rotor, after i took off the caliper i tried to smack the rotor off with no luck, i realize now that those clips have to come off the outside of the rotor, do those clips do a good job of holding the rotor on? Im afraid i may need a puller to take my rotor off after those clips are removed...

Also, it was hard to tell in my ford factory manual and my new rotors for the rear show that i dont need to remove that big nut in the middle of the hub to take the rotor off, but on my original rotors i cant see a gap around the rotor that looks like i can get the rotor off without that nut coming off first, i think its just due to the dirt?

So basically im asking if those little factory clips on the 2 studs on the rotors do a good job of holding the rotor and do you think ill need a puller once those clips come off to get the rotor off

Also, do i need to take off the big nut in the middle of the rear hubs to take the rear rotors off?

2009 Ford Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD

Thanks all!!
Chris,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why change out rotors on a first brake job? If you do not score them a rotor can be good for 200,000 miles plus. I have 56,000 miles on my truck with original pads.

im at 120,000km on first parts still. Due to my location and where ill be doing the brake job, its not worth getting the rotors turned and due to the grooving in the rotors im not really into introducing new pads to the old rotors

so buying new rotors cost the same as having the rotors turned by the time i drive to get them done. Damn small towns in the middle of no where lol

the clips are just for holding the rotors on during assembly, before the wheels are mounted. you can break them off with some needle nose pliers, and no need to replace.

for the rear brakes, as long as your e-brake is off you shouldn't need a puller. if the e-brake is dragging you can adjust it to loosen it to get the rotor off, but that shouldnt be needed. Also the cv-axle nuts do not have to be removed for a rotor remove/replace.

Be sure to grease the caliper slide pins, and re-install the anti rattle clips on the rear pads.

Thanks Bluez

I will give that a shot, what do the anti rattle clips look like?

Make sure you use silicone paste or some sort of synthetic brake lubricant on those slides.

Back