Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Ford Explorer Sport Trac Forums > 2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac

Notices

2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac All questions about the stock 2006- 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

09' Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD Brake Job Help

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
chriswh86
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
09' Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD Brake Job Help

Just had a look at the rear brakes the other day before the rain hit...

Im still on the original pads and rotors but its time to change it up. I have all the parts needed, brake pads and rotors for both the front and the rear...

I took the rear tire off and noticed 2 little clip things on the 2 studs on the outside of the rotor, after i took off the caliper i tried to smack the rotor off with no luck, i realize now that those clips have to come off the outside of the rotor, do those clips do a good job of holding the rotor on? Im afraid i may need a puller to take my rotor off after those clips are removed...

Also, it was hard to tell in my ford factory manual and my new rotors for the rear show that i dont need to remove that big nut in the middle of the hub to take the rotor off, but on my original rotors i cant see a gap around the rotor that looks like i can get the rotor off without that nut coming off first, i think its just due to the dirt?

So basically im asking if those little factory clips on the 2 studs on the rotors do a good job of holding the rotor and do you think ill need a puller once those clips come off to get the rotor off

Also, do i need to take off the big nut in the middle of the rear hubs to take the rear rotors off?

2009 Ford Sport Trac Adrenaline AWD

Thanks all!!
Chris,
chriswh86 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
GreenMando
Columbia, CA
'08 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 V8

Vehicle Specs

Why change out rotors on a first brake job? If you do not score them a rotor can be good for 200,000 miles plus. I have 56,000 miles on my truck with original pads.
GreenMando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
chriswh86

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
im at 120,000km on first parts still. Due to my location and where ill be doing the brake job, its not worth getting the rotors turned and due to the grooving in the rotors im not really into introducing new pads to the old rotors

so buying new rotors cost the same as having the rotors turned by the time i drive to get them done. Damn small towns in the middle of no where lol
Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
06bluez
'10 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
the clips are just for holding the rotors on during assembly, before the wheels are mounted. you can break them off with some needle nose pliers, and no need to replace.

for the rear brakes, as long as your e-brake is off you shouldn't need a puller. if the e-brake is dragging you can adjust it to loosen it to get the rotor off, but that shouldnt be needed. Also the cv-axle nuts do not have to be removed for a rotor remove/replace.

Be sure to grease the caliper slide pins, and re-install the anti rattle clips on the rear pads.
06bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
chriswh86

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks Bluez

I will give that a shot, what do the anti rattle clips look like?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #6
2004XLT
San Francisco Bay Area CA
2004 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Make sure you use silicone paste or some sort of synthetic brake lubricant on those slides.
2004XLT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
06bluez
'10 Sport Trac Adrenalin

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswh86 View Post
Thanks Bluez

I will give that a shot, what do the anti rattle clips look like?
Here's the TSB on the clips. Your truck should have them installed already, but if not I'd get a set from the dealer and install them while you are doing the brake job. they are mounted to the lower rear brake mount casting.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/je...kes_rattle.pdf
06bluez is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: