Transmission issue with a flashing O/D light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue with a flashing O/D light.

Libya_Explorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLS
Hi guys , this is my first post here.

i have the same problem of 2nd to 3rd gear delay , (Service Engine Soon ) light is on , the O/D and light flashing , and i have to get my foot off the accelerator to make it shift smoothly.
but it also has yet another "symptom" , i hear a hissing sound when the RPM goes higher and the transmission is struggling between 2nd and 3rd gear.

i heard this sound before when i drive fast and the RPM is about 5000 , but i didn't give it any attention.

i had it checked by a computer and the Solenoid error appeared , and another error in 3rd gear.

is replacing the Solenoid Pack gonna fix my car ? or do i have to do other things to fix it?

i'm from Libya , we don't have a lot of Fords here , so i'm gonna have to buy online and ship the part from the U.S , so it would really be helpful to give me a link of any parts i need to purchase.

my car is a 4X4 2003 explorer 4.0L V6
VIN code is : 1FMZU72E03ZB13486 , i don't know what type of transmission i have.

thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thank you for your replay , but i already know what the codes mean.

i'm still wondering about the "hissing" sound i mentioned earlier , is it all part of the solenoid problem ?

by the way , we don't have the required ATF in my country , it the Toyota ATF-IV Ok ? can i use it instead ? it's the only good quality ATF we have here.

and about that (oil-filling tool ) , can i use a normal tyre pressure inlet ?

A brass barbed plumbing fitting could be substituted for the special plastic part which is used to fill the transmission. Do you have Mobil 1 fluid where you live? WWW.RockAuto.Com offers international shipping. There is a 5% off coupon code in the vendors section of this site. As for the hissing sound, check the vacuum lines for broken or unplugged lines, missing vacuum caps, cracked bushings & plastic tubing.

the only ATF is eather Toyota or Castrol.

gonna order the solenoid pack , and hopefully fix my problem.

alot of people advised me to change the whole transmission , but i don't see the point of that.

thank you for your advice , and surely your time

Best Regards

Reda El-feitouri

Back