Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Dual exhaust

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Joey E
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
US Dual exhaust

I have a 97 explorer 4.0 ohv I want to put dual exhaust on it I did not see any kits for dual exhaust I was wondering if a ranger aftermarket dual exhaust would fit I want cat back and my explorer is 4 door
Joey E is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
delexploder
Elite Explorer
Greenwood De.

97 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
No the ranger catbacks dont fit and nobody makes a dual kit for us but if you can cut and weld it doesn't take much to make them fit, that's what I did. Or you can have a shop make them

97 sport 5.0 complete 2.5 in magnaflow dual exhaust 4.10s 31x10.5 BFG ATs 99 front bumper and hatch all black. 99mounty black over grey 5.0 AVM hubs BW 4406 31x10.5 BFG ATs. 98 xlt 4.0 ohv pacific green stock .97 xlt 5.0 black 31x10.5 BFG ATs
delexploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Joey E
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
DO you know about what a shop would charge for a cat back system and what muffler should I use I want deep and loud like it's possible from a v6 lol
Old 04-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

It is easier for you to call your local exhaust shops than for us to give you estimates based on what guys will do in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICE59FORDF100 View Post
Dont forget numbers. Teacher Ladies LOVE numbers
FIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Joey E
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Any susgestions on a muffler to use for the 4.0 ohv
Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
Lonnie-S
Carlsbad and Idyllwild, California
'97 4DR XLT-V6, Auto, 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
@Joey E

I have a '97 SOHC V6. It actually has dual exhaust up to the front of the muffler. That is, there are two inlets at the front of the muffler while a single pipe runs from the back of it to the bumper.

Here's my point. Check the front of your OHV V6 muffler. If you have two inlets like the SOHC V6 then start checking around with the muffler companies like Borla, Magnaflow, etc. I am for sure positive there is manufacturer who makes a muffler-back setup where their replacement muffler has two chambers, side-by-side, and it has a separate outlet for each at the rear of the muffler, not one. You get true dual pipes from it and they make the dual pipes that run from the muffler back. However, both pipes exit right next to each other at the rear, passenger side similar to the stock setup.

Sorry, I did not bookmark the manufacturer's webpage, but I know it's out there.

If you need catalytic stuff too, just buy OEM replacement for that and the mufler-back dual setup for the duals.

Cheers,
Lonnie-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #7
2000StreetRod
Greenville, SC

2000 Sport SOHC 2WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
not justified

In my opinion the airflow of a normally aspirated OHV V6 does not justify the weight, space and cost of a dual tail pipe. The cross sectional area of a 2 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 3.14 square inches and is probably adequate for your stock engine. The cross sectional area of a 2.5 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 4.91 square inches. The total cross sectional area of dual 2 inch internal diameter pipes is 6.28 square inches. The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch internal diameter pipe is 7.07 square inches which should be adequate for a forced induction SOHC V6 or 5.0L V8.

Dual exhausts on a V6 does not sound comparable to a V8 with dual exhausts.

If you want dual exhausts just for looks then that's your choice.
2000StreetRod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #8
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000StreetRod View Post
In my opinion the airflow of a normally aspirated OHV V6 does not justify the weight, space and cost of a dual tail pipe. The cross sectional area of a 2 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 3.14 square inches and is probably adequate for your stock engine. The cross sectional area of a 2.5 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 4.91 square inches. The total cross sectional area of dual 2 inch internal diameter pipes is 6.28 square inches. The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch internal diameter pipe is 7.07 square inches which should be adequate for a forced induction SOHC V6 or 5.0L V8.

Dual exhausts on a V6 does not sound comparable to a V8 with dual exhausts.

If you want dual exhausts just for looks then that's your choice.
FWIW, cross-sectional flow area isn't AS important as all that. Laminar flow is only achieved on an area that is increasingly smaller on smaller pipes. Two 2 inch pipes will have much more total cross-sectional area taken up by turbulent boundary layers. I won't waste anyone's time with the equation.

That said, a pair of 2 inch pipes is WAY too big for the OHV like you said. Quick way to lose a lot of torque... but it may not be that bad, considering he would have a much lighter wallet to drive around with.

Like I said before, talk to an exhaust shop. Buy whatever performance mufflers they sell if you want to make more noise, none of them are going to give you more power. If you really insist on dual exhaust, go with something dual exit instead. Have your exhaust guy add a Y to your exhaust out at the back.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
jd4242
va beach
92explorer&94 ranger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Just a fyi..you have to remove your spare to run duals..to answer your other questions, I paid $199 for my old setup and that didn't include a muffler.I like the flow master 40.but like everyone has said you won't gain anything

92 xl 5.5"duff arms,3"BL,PJ 36x14.50,wrapped headers,side dump exhaust,.20 over,HF oil pump,422cam,45cc 95tm p+p 10.67:1 heads,p+p lower manifold,75mm TB,90mm maf,36lbs injectors,P+P GM M90 Supercharged & intercooled!!SCT tuned!!electric fan,4.88s aussie locked front & back!!next NOS&W/M
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...=double+vision
jd4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
Joey E
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
I am not really looking for gains I want it to sound good I also like the look of dual tips
Old 04-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #11
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Just put on a random "performance" muffler to make it louder, and have an exhaust pipe add a Y at the back. You will not be able to fit your spare tire back there anymore though.

FWIW, that's giving up a lot for something that few people will see or notice.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Joey E
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
My truck already doesn't have a spare when I bought it it didn't have one
Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Well, whatever you put on for a muffler won't sound bad as long as you don't do something stupid like remove or gut your cats. Take those out, and you will get a lot more rasp and high frequency.

A dynomax super turbo is a pretty cheap muffler usually, and most exhaust shops sell them, and they don't sound bad on the OHV 4.0

dynomax super turbo, ford explorer lightning style
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.

and here is a video FROADER left on the youtubes for any idiot to stumble across

dynomax super turbo, ford explorer lightning style
If you are able to see this message it means that you don't have flash installed or that the video server is down.

If I were making the system, it would be 2.25 from the cat to the muffler, 2.25 to the Y, 1.75 or 2.0" after the y, probably 1.75 depending unless it takes a lot of bends. The pipe size after the muffler won't make as big of a deal. The guy at your local exhaust shop will probably say 2.25 into dual 2" or 2.25 even after the Y when you first mention dual exhaust anyway. Like I said, it won't make as big of a difference once you get further back, since the exhaust will have cooled a lot anyway, and it isn't a tuned system, so velocities are going to be falling sharply by that point anyway.

Quote:
Old 04-09-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
delexploder
Elite Explorer
Greenwood De.

97 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

Um I call BS on the no spare with duals. Not only did I have my spare but I also had a hitch when i got my first dual setup. I had it done at meinke way back in 05 they used a dual in /out flowpro muffler and bent the tail pipes up over the rear but then a slight turn to the outside of the rear springs and my tips came out the back on either side of the rear spring shackles. My new setup is a moded set of ranger pipes and i did ditch my spare and brought them out to the inside of the spring shackles ...picks of that are in my profile album area

97 sport 5.0 complete 2.5 in magnaflow dual exhaust 4.10s 31x10.5 BFG ATs 99 front bumper and hatch all black. 99mounty black over grey 5.0 AVM hubs BW 4406 31x10.5 BFG ATs. 98 xlt 4.0 ohv pacific green stock .97 xlt 5.0 black 31x10.5 BFG ATs
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 AM   #15
rickybobby
Battle Creek, mi
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm with Delexplorer, if you run the tail pipes to exit outside the frame duals will fit with a stock spare. I ran mine like that for years until i went to bigger tires. It is a really tight fit but if the shop knows what they are doing it can work. I ran mine to outside of the frame just behind the axle between the springs and frame. I have never had any contact with the springs either.

Originally Posted by Joe Dirt View Post
It spatters at both the beginning and end of the stroke. .
Quote:
Pro, but the dongle I had quit working.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
FIND
Vermillion, SD
99 XLT V8 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by delexploder View Post
Um I call BS on the no spare with duals. Not only did I have my spare but I also had a hitch when i got my first dual setup. I had it done at meinke way back in 05 they used a dual in /out flowpro muffler and bent the tail pipes up over the rear but then a slight turn to the outside of the rear springs and my tips came out the back on either side of the rear spring shackles. My new setup is a moded set of ranger pipes and i did ditch my spare and brought them out to the inside of the spring shackles ...picks of that are in my profile album area
Isn't yours lifted though?

Quote:
Old 04-10-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
rickybobby
Battle Creek, mi
'97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Mine was not lifted when I installed my duals

It spatters at both the beginning and end of the stroke. .
Quote:
Pro, but the dongle I had quit working.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #18
delexploder
Elite Explorer
Greenwood De.

97 ford explorer sport

Vehicle Specs

No mine is stock as far as ride height not even a tt. I also agree there will be little if any gain other than the cool factor on an ohv 4.0 but IMO the sohc improved greatly and I can honestly say sounded like a small block at idle but was a droner at highway speed. My current setup is all magnaflow stainless 2.5 inch from the manifolds back. I did this because it should support any and all future mods to my 5.0 and last as long as i can keep the truck alive. If anyone wants to see it look in my album in my profile area.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #19
Lonnie-S
Carlsbad and Idyllwild, California
'97 4DR XLT-V6, Auto, 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well, maybe I'm dreaming, but I'd expect any of the major muffler/exhaust companies to test their products. They should at least do no harm in terms of performance and you'd hope they will always improve things somewhat. So, if you stuck with something off-the-shelf from one of them, my guess is that you won't lose any power or torque.

Telling the truth, I plan to go to duals on my SOHC V6, but have more practical things to do first before I get to that modification. I definitely plan to keep the spare though. Now, if I move the spare somewhere else, OK, that's fine.

Cheers,
Lonnie-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:55 AM   #20
JCase
Unregistered

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Just a suggestion:

If your going to install duals on a 4.0L, don't.

Again, just a suggestion...

Suggest this thread to friends:

Tags
exhaust 4.0 catback