Dual exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dual exhaust

Joey E

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 FORD EXPLORER 4.0 4x4
I have a 97 explorer 4.0 ohv I want to put dual exhaust on it I did not see any kits for dual exhaust I was wondering if a ranger aftermarket dual exhaust would fit I want cat back and my explorer is 4 door

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No the ranger catbacks dont fit and nobody makes a dual kit for us but if you can cut and weld it doesn't take much to make them fit, that's what I did. Or you can have a shop make them

DO you know about what a shop would charge for a cat back system and what muffler should I use I want deep and loud like it's possible from a v6 lol

It is easier for you to call your local exhaust shops than for us to give you estimates based on what guys will do in our area.

Any susgestions on a muffler to use for the 4.0 ohv

@Joey E

I have a '97 SOHC V6. It actually has dual exhaust up to the front of the muffler. That is, there are two inlets at the front of the muffler while a single pipe runs from the back of it to the bumper.

Here's my point. Check the front of your OHV V6 muffler. If you have two inlets like the SOHC V6 then start checking around with the muffler companies like Borla, Magnaflow, etc. I am for sure positive there is manufacturer who makes a muffler-back setup where their replacement muffler has two chambers, side-by-side, and it has a separate outlet for each at the rear of the muffler, not one. You get true dual pipes from it and they make the dual pipes that run from the muffler back. However, both pipes exit right next to each other at the rear, passenger side similar to the stock setup.

Sorry, I did not bookmark the manufacturer's webpage, but I know it's out there.

If you need catalytic stuff too, just buy OEM replacement for that and the mufler-back dual setup for the duals.

Cheers,

not justified

In my opinion the airflow of a normally aspirated OHV V6 does not justify the weight, space and cost of a dual tail pipe. The cross sectional area of a 2 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 3.14 square inches and is probably adequate for your stock engine. The cross sectional area of a 2.5 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 4.91 square inches. The total cross sectional area of dual 2 inch internal diameter pipes is 6.28 square inches. The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch internal diameter pipe is 7.07 square inches which should be adequate for a forced induction SOHC V6 or 5.0L V8.

Dual exhausts on a V6 does not sound comparable to a V8 with dual exhausts.

If you want dual exhausts just for looks then that's your choice.

In my opinion the airflow of a normally aspirated OHV V6 does not justify the weight, space and cost of a dual tail pipe. The cross sectional area of a 2 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 3.14 square inches and is probably adequate for your stock engine. The cross sectional area of a 2.5 inch internal diameter tail pipe is 4.91 square inches. The total cross sectional area of dual 2 inch internal diameter pipes is 6.28 square inches. The cross sectional area of a single 3 inch internal diameter pipe is 7.07 square inches which should be adequate for a forced induction SOHC V6 or 5.0L V8.

Dual exhausts on a V6 does not sound comparable to a V8 with dual exhausts.

If you want dual exhausts just for looks then that's your choice.

FWIW, cross-sectional flow area isn't AS important as all that. Laminar flow is only achieved on an area that is increasingly smaller on smaller pipes. Two 2 inch pipes will have much more total cross-sectional area taken up by turbulent boundary layers. I won't waste anyone's time with the equation.

That said, a pair of 2 inch pipes is WAY too big for the OHV like you said. Quick way to lose a lot of torque... but it may not be that bad, considering he would have a much lighter wallet to drive around with.

Like I said before, talk to an exhaust shop. Buy whatever performance mufflers they sell if you want to make more noise, none of them are going to give you more power. If you really insist on dual exhaust, go with something dual exit instead. Have your exhaust guy add a Y to your exhaust out at the back.

Just a fyi..you have to remove your spare to run duals..to answer your other questions, I paid $199 for my old setup and that didn't include a muffler.I like the flow master 40.but like everyone has said you won't gain anything

I am not really looking for gains I want it to sound good I also like the look of dual tips

Just put on a random "performance" muffler to make it louder, and have an exhaust pipe add a Y at the back. You will not be able to fit your spare tire back there anymore though.

FWIW, that's giving up a lot for something that few people will see or notice.

My truck already doesn't have a spare when I bought it it didn't have one

Well, whatever you put on for a muffler won't sound bad as long as you don't do something stupid like remove or gut your cats. Take those out, and you will get a lot more rasp and high frequency.

A dynomax super turbo is a pretty cheap muffler usually, and most exhaust shops sell them, and they don't sound bad on the OHV 4.0

and here is a video FROADER left on the youtubes for any idiot to stumble across

If I were making the system, it would be 2.25 from the cat to the muffler, 2.25 to the Y, 1.75 or 2.0" after the y, probably 1.75 depending unless it takes a lot of bends. The pipe size after the muffler won't make as big of a deal. The guy at your local exhaust shop will probably say 2.25 into dual 2" or 2.25 even after the Y when you first mention dual exhaust anyway. Like I said, it won't make as big of a difference once you get further back, since the exhaust will have cooled a lot anyway, and it isn't a tuned system, so velocities are going to be falling sharply by that point anyway.

Um I call BS on the no spare with duals. Not only did I have my spare but I also had a hitch when i got my first dual setup. I had it done at meinke way back in 05 they used a dual in /out flowpro muffler and bent the tail pipes up over the rear but then a slight turn to the outside of the rear springs and my tips came out the back on either side of the rear spring shackles. My new setup is a moded set of ranger pipes and i did ditch my spare and brought them out to the inside of the spring shackles ...picks of that are in my profile album area

I'm with Delexplorer, if you run the tail pipes to exit outside the frame duals will fit with a stock spare. I ran mine like that for years until i went to bigger tires. It is a really tight fit but if the shop knows what they are doing it can work. I ran mine to outside of the frame just behind the axle between the springs and frame. I have never had any contact with the springs either.

Um I call BS on the no spare with duals. Not only did I have my spare but I also had a hitch when i got my first dual setup. I had it done at meinke way back in 05 they used a dual in /out flowpro muffler and bent the tail pipes up over the rear but then a slight turn to the outside of the rear springs and my tips came out the back on either side of the rear spring shackles. My new setup is a moded set of ranger pipes and i did ditch my spare and brought them out to the inside of the spring shackles ...picks of that are in my profile album area

Isn't yours lifted though?

No mine is stock as far as ride height not even a tt. I also agree there will be little if any gain other than the cool factor on an ohv 4.0 but IMO the sohc improved greatly and I can honestly say sounded like a small block at idle but was a droner at highway speed. My current setup is all magnaflow stainless 2.5 inch from the manifolds back. I did this because it should support any and all future mods to my 5.0 and last as long as i can keep the truck alive. If anyone wants to see it look in my album in my profile area.

Well, maybe I'm dreaming, but I'd expect any of the major muffler/exhaust companies to test their products. They should at least do no harm in terms of performance and you'd hope they will always improve things somewhat. So, if you stuck with something off-the-shelf from one of them, my guess is that you won't lose any power or torque.

Telling the truth, I plan to go to duals on my SOHC V6, but have more practical things to do first before I get to that modification. I definitely plan to keep the spare though. Now, if I move the spare somewhere else, OK, that's fine.

Cheers,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back