• Register Today It's free!

How to fix a flooded engine?

Mike1234

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Ok so the other day me and some friends were playing in the mud and i went in a hole a little too deep and sucked some water in my air intake. I'm trying to avoid buying a new engine so i did some research and i read that i could take my spark plugs out and turn my motor by turning the key and the pistons would push the water out of the spark plug holes, then i could just put new spark plugs in and start the motor right up. The problem is that when i go to turn the motor on i get one click and the nothing. I got my battery checked and charged by the auto store and i also took the starter out and got that tested as well and it passed. I have no clue what to do next?? Any info would be much appreciated i need to get this running ASAP! 2005 Ford Explorer XLT:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

new motor
did u try to start to the motor in the puddle if so it done for

bent rod?

I assume that the engine stopped running from injesting water and that you tried to restart it. Which engine do you have? You may have a bent connecting rod or bent valve(s). I suggest that with all of the spark plugs removed you try to rotate the crankshaft with socket and breaker bar attached to the harmonic balancer retaining bolt. If you encounter mechanical interference you know it's internal to the engine.

I have the 4.0 v6. And i haven't tried to turn it manually like that. I read online that if i take the spark plugs out and try to turn it on like you normally would the pistons would still move and push the water out. Does that not work? And yes i went all the way through the puddle and it died out at the end out of the water and yes i tried to start it up afterwards. Another question is i didn't hear anything breaking or anything like that when it stalled so is there hope for getting this engine running?

The engine is locked up is why the starter isn't working. I'm almost positive you have a bent rod. The cheapest way out would be a junkyard motor swap or swapping out the shortblock as the heads still might be good.

blah! ok thanks guys!. I've never really messed around with engines so would swapping an engine be something that i need to let a garage do or could i do it myself? And since i pretty much have no knowledge on car engines would the salvage yard know what motor i can put in it? I ask this because its an 05 so its got a lot of electrical/sensor bs going every which way. Thanks in advance!

It is possible that you have killed something electrical that is preventing the starter from kicking over. It is definitely worth trying to get it running by pulling the spark plugs and cranking it over. Even better is to blow the spark plug wells out with compressed air.

blah! ok thanks guys!. I've never really messed around with engines so would swapping an engine be something that i need to let a garage do or could i do it myself? And since i pretty much have no knowledge on car engines would the salvage yard know what motor i can put in it? I ask this because its an 05 so its got a lot of electrical/sensor bs going every which way. Thanks in advance!

Swap it with a 2005 or newer Mustang V6 long block. Also, let a garage do it.

Ok so i tried turning the bolt on the harmonic balancer and i couldnt get it to turn even with a breaker bar. Any suggestions?

Will not manually turn = hydrolocked. Time to find a new motor

After the motor is replaced, dont forget to check and replace all fluids in the differentials, transfer case and transmission. You will need a new air filter and should clean the intake )mass air flow sensor).

If you are going to plan iin the mud, you need to make some simple modifications. Extend breather hoses on the above mentioned parts, and modify the air intake point. Our trucks draw air from behind the passenger side headlight.

Back