Why does an MFT Master Reset Fix the Problem with My Keyless Entry Fobs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Why does an MFT Master Reset Fix the Problem with My Keyless Entry Fobs?

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer with MFT 3.51 that I took ownership of in November, 2012.

Twice, my car has gotten into a mode in which BOTH of my remote entry key fobs sporadically will not unlock the car doors. Most times they did, 15 to 20% of the time they didn't. When it seemed to get into the mode of Unlock not working, repeated pushes of Unlock on either fob did not unlock the car. Only pressing the Lock button on a fob (when the car is already locked), and Unlock again cleared the problem and unlocked the car.

I have replaced the batteries in both fobs, but the problem still happened intermittently. I brought it to the dealer twice for this issue, but was politely sent on my way both times because they couldn't reproduce it. One time, the customer service person indicated it could be a collision with RF frequency bands, which I knew could not be the case because the problem was happening indiscriminately in too many places – at work, at home, the mall, the grocery store, etc. – and I certainly wasn’t carrying any RF emitting devices on my person.

Anyways, I wound up doing a Master Reset to the MyFord Touch system for a variety of other issues, and all of a sudden the above noted issue with my keyless entry unlock problem went away ... for a couple months. Lock and Unlock on both fobs worked like a charm. Then, the problem came back last week, again intermittently as before, and I went straight to the MyFord Touch Master Reset to see if it was a fluke the previous time, or if there was something to it. Again, the Master Reset cleared up the issue, and I must have tested both fobs about 50 times each over the last couple of days – and they continue to work as expected.

Since I have scoured these forums and not seen a problem like this mentioned, I was curious and wanted to know if anyone else experienced similar behavior, or better yet, if someone from Ford or “in the know” can say “yes, the MyFord Touch system and keyless entry system are integrated” and the behavior that I’ve witnessed can seem plausible.

Two points to why I think the answer could be yes:

POINT 1: The default operation for Unlock on your key fobs when you receive your car is push it once to unlock the driver's door, and push it a second time within 3 seconds to unlock all other doors. I follow the procedure in the manual that says to hold both lock and unlock buttons down together for 4 seconds (until the car lights flash) to put the fobs into "one push unlock" mode. So for me, one push of unlock will unlock all doors. This is how I always use it. Anyways, after doing the MFT Master Reset, the fob operation was returned to the default "2 button pushes to unlock all doors" mode.

POINT 2: One can change the 5-digit code for their door keypad from within the MFT. The option is right in there, under Settings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

POINT 1: I follow the procedure in the manual that says to hold both lock and unlock buttons down together for 4 seconds (until the car lights flash) to put the fobs into "one push unlock" mode.

POINT 2: One can change the 5-digit code for their door keypad from within the MFT. The option is right in there, under Settings.

Point 1: You can modify this setting from the menus on the left lcd display in the gauge cluster as well

Point 2: You can't change the factory code, you can just add/edit new user codes. Some have found that you can accidentally delete the factory code however breaking MFT and causing you to only be able to make changes from the actual keypad.

...Some have found that you can accidentally delete the factory code however breaking MFT and causing you to only be able to make changes from the actual keypad.

to clarify: you cant delete the factory code really - but you can, seemingly, delete what looks like the factory code in MFT. The fix supposedly is to re-add a 'user code' through the outside keypad that is the same as the factory code and MFT is supposed to be OK after that. Keypad ALWAYS works with the factory code. MFT? Not so much. Procedure for adding code back from the keypad is in the owners manual and posted in other threads.

I havent had reliable luck getting back into the MFT option to manage codes after executing the 'delete all user codes' option in MFT. In other words.. of about 25 attempts to get into MFT code maintenance by entering the factory code - I did manage to get in only once.

BigPapisExplorer,

I sent this to my support and they advised a master reset shouldn't be resetting your key fob. Since you've been to your dealership twice, I'd like to escalate this to our Customer Care team. Please send me a private message with your VIN, approximate mileage, dealership information, and best contact phone number. Thanks!

Rebecca

Thank you, Rebecca. I sent you the private message with the information you requested.

Before I saw your reply, I did another test. My remotes are still working properly since my last Master Reset, but I got curious from one of the other replies to my original message.

In the left-hand dashboard LCD cluster, under Vehicle Settings -> Locks, there is indeed a setting called Remote Unlocking. I verified that it was set to "All Doors" which matches how I have the fobs Unlock set to operate.

I then changed a couple more settings underneath Vehicle Settings (still from the left-hand display) for the Wiper Operation (I set both Reverse Wiper and Courtesy Wiper to On, which before I touched them were set to Off). I tested the wiper operation and verified it was working correctly, per the setting.

I then did an MFT Master Reset. After the reset completed, I reset up my phone, favorites, etc. I then went into the left-hand dash cluster, and saw that the Vehicle Settings for the options I previously verified were also reset. Specifically, Locks -> Remote Locking was now set to "Drivers Door" (not "All Doors"), and the 2 wiper settings that I had turned on (and tested before the Master Reset) were now both set to off.

So, I did this test to see (and I think prove) that the MFT reset seems to reset more than just the settings that one can access within the MFT touch display (including at least one behavior associated with the keyless entry system -- the remote unlocking operation).

Thank you, Rebecca. I sent you the private message with the information you requested.

Before I saw your reply, I did another test. My remotes are still working properly since my last Master Reset, but I got curious from one of the other replies to my original message.

In the left-hand dashboard LCD cluster, under Vehicle Settings -> Locks, there is indeed a setting called Remote Unlocking. I verified that it was set to "All Doors" which matches how I have the fobs Unlock set to operate.

I then changed a couple more settings underneath Vehicle Settings (still from the left-hand display) for the Wiper Operation (I set both Reverse Wiper and Courtesy Wiper to On, which before I touched them were set to Off). I tested the wiper operation and verified it was working correctly, per the setting.

I then did an MFT Master Reset. After the reset completed, I reset up my phone, favorites, etc. I then went into the left-hand dash cluster, and saw that the Vehicle Settings for the options I previously verified were also reset. Specifically, Locks -> Remote Locking was now set to "Drivers Door" (not "All Doors"), and the 2 wiper settings that I had turned on (and tested before the Master Reset) were now both set to off.

So, I did this test to see (and I think prove) that the MFT reset seems to reset more than just the settings that one can access within the MFT touch display (including at least one behavior associated with the keyless entry system -- the remote unlocking operation).

:thumbsup: Thanks for testing it again! I will include it in my case notes. I received your PM and will be escalating this shortly.

Rebecca

I’d like to thank BigPapisExplorer for his post.

I’ve been having the same problem with the remotes to my 2012 Explorer for months. Some days they’d work fine, other days I’d have to hit unlock 8 or 10 times to get it to do anything. I’d have the same flaky behavior with the lock button too. I also tried both remotes, replaced the battery in one of them, made sure I was standing right next to the car. I went to the dealer 3 times for this specific issue, and also mentioned it 2 or 3 other times when I went in for oil changes and other service. Of course they would never see the issue, and I too was given a sermon on RF and wireless frequency interference. Radio towers, cell towers, underground dog fences. The remote issue was happening in way too many places, and in places where it previously worked, for it to be interference. I’d say this to the dealer, and all they would say is well it’s not happening here.

Anyways the problem with the remotes would come up and last days or weeks, … and then would mysteriously clear up.

After reading BigPapisExplorer’s posting, it dawned on me that I’ve also been doing Master Resets to the MFT system every so often because of freezes and other issues with my media player, and that’s when I had the ah-ha moment and realized the master resets were fixing my issue with the remotes and their flaky behavior.

So I had been having the same issue with the remotes again over the last few days and I tried the master reset this morning. Voila!! Right away, both my remotes started working fine. I’ve been testing them like.

Now all we have to find out is what’s causing the issue in the first place and why an MFT master reset fixes it.

I’ve been having the same problem with the remotes to my 2012 Explorer for months. Some days they’d work fine, other days I’d have to hit unlock 8 or 10 times to get it to do anything. I’d have the same flaky behavior with the lock button too. I also tried both remotes, replaced the battery in one of them, made sure I was standing right next to the car. I went to the dealer 3 times for this specific issue, and also mentioned it 2 or 3 other times when I went in for oil changes and other service. Of course they would never see the issue, and I too was given a sermon on RF and wireless frequency interference. Radio towers, cell towers, underground dog fences. The remote issue was happening in way too many places, and in places where it previously worked, for it to be interference. I’d say this to the dealer, and all they would say is well it’s not happening here.

Anyways the problem with the remotes would come up and last days or weeks, … and then would mysteriously clear up.

After reading BigPapisExplorer’s posting, it dawned on me that I’ve also been doing Master Resets to the MFT system every so often because of freezes and other issues with my media player, and that’s when I had the ah-ha moment and realized the master resets were fixing my issue with the remotes and their flaky behavior.

So I had been having the same issue with the remotes again over the last few days and I tried the master reset this morning. Voila!! Right away, both my remotes started working fine. I’ve been testing them like.

Now all we have to find out is what’s causing the issue in the first place and why an MFT master reset fixes it.

Hi, NJExplorer2012!

Please send me your VIN and make/model of your phone in a private message. Thanks!

Rebecca

I'm seeing this same exact problem with my new Ex. Most times, I have to press unlock on my fob 4 or more times to get it to unlock, or like was said originally, press lock when the car is already locked and then unlock. Very rarely do lock or unlock work for me on the first push of either fob. This all started a few weeks ago.

I'm going to try the Master Reset after I get out of work and will report back.

Reporting back per my post yesterday. I did my first ever master reset last night, and it fixed the problem with my fobs. Both are working perfectly now!

Reporting back per my post yesterday. I did my first ever master reset last night, and it fixed the problem with my fobs. Both are working perfectly now!

Hey, JasonC74,

Can you please try what BigPapisExplorer did (see quote below) and let me know what happens? Also, when you get a chance, shoot me your VIN in a private message. Thanks!

Rebecca

Yes, I can already tell you that the MFT master reset I did the other day did change the wiper behavior. I use both reverse wiper and courtesy wiper, and did have to set them back on after the MFT reset.

I never used the All Doors unlocking setting before, so can't confirm for you yet that that one got changed without me resetting it and trying another MFT reset.
But, I can confirm that my remotes are still working like a charm on the first try now.

I think you guys in this thread are spot on. Though no one here so far has said it, I’d be willing to bet that you were also having a whole host of USB media device issues in the car too.

I’ve got almost 30 years of software development systems, a lot of it with embedded software systems, some of that experience even with Microsoft embedded systems. I can tell you what I’ve seen in the 8 months I’ve had my Explorer is a whole host of memory [mis]management issues in the MyFord Touch system and sloppy integration with other car systems that they really shouldn’t be integrating with.

I am 99% convinced that the USB connectivity, at least in my case with my Apple devices, is the cause of 99% of the instability I was seeing in the system. STAY AWAY FROM USING THE USB, and the latest MFT 3.51 will seem incredibly stable. For months, I was wrestling with crazy USB media problems -- screen freezes, hard lockups, sluggish performance, pressing buttons or saying commands that wouldn’t do anything, disconnecting devices that the system would think were still connected, to name a few. Trying to play a song via USB was a crapshoot. And guess what, while I was fiddling with the USB over the months, I’d see a whole host of other intermittent, crazy problems – random times on my clock, GPS showing incorrect car locations, phone call disconnects and non-hangups, sync deciding not to speak to me any more, and YES, erratic behavior with my car lock remotes as you guys have already described so well. Try explaining these sporadic issues to your Dad's Ford dealer. The couple dealerships near me are totally inequipped to deal with software issues. I truly felt I was on my own with this.

The system would get so messed up on its own that it would occasionally reboot, and some of these behaviors would instantly get a lot better. I then started doing weekly master resets, and that would fix everything, even the remote unlocking. HOWEVER, it wasn’t until I decided to give up on using USB entirely, that all these problems stopped reoccurring … and the system has been remarkably stable for me since then. Clock showing correct time … CHECK. GPS working accurately … CHECK. Uninterrupted phone calls … CHECK. Car unlocks when I want it to … CHECK. Hasn’t even rebooted on its own in about 2 months now.

Now, why they integrated the MFT with some of the keyless entry, purposely or accidentally, is completely beyond me. I also had noticed that when I did the master resets, it would change my Unlocking one push / two push setting – so if it would do this, completely possibly that memory corruption in the MFT from my prior usage patterns affected remote lock behavior.

Just my $.02.

Cheers

This is a known issue and engineering is looking into it. It seems the problem is special characters / emoticons in your phones address book that is confusion the system. The solution right now is the following until it's investigated more.

-Delete all special characters / emoticons from your phones address book.
-Perform a master reset of the system
-Re-pair your phone to Sync

are we talking about iPhone connectivity issues or all phones ?
(have office blackberry and wife has android on samsung note II)

"Known Issue" "Looking into it" That's lame on Ford's part. Why not fix and get the fixes out to everybody on a more timely basis.....Either the Ford folks are not very sharp, or Ford just does'nt care much...........

This is a known issue and engineering is looking into it. It seems the problem is special characters / emoticons in your phones address book that is confusion the system. The solution right now is the following until it's investigated more.

-Delete all special characters / emoticons from your phones address book.
-Perform a master reset of the system
-Re-pair your phone to Sync

Just to clarify what Riley said (above), the master reset changing Vehicle Settings is not associated with emoticons or special characters in the phone's name or contacts. If you're having other concerns, such as keeping your Bluetooth connection, you should check to make sure you don't have emoticons in your phonebook and/or the phone's name.

If you feel that you may be having an issue related to the above, please send me a private message with the details.

are we talking about iPhone connectivity issues or all phones ?
(have office blackberry and wife has android on samsung note II)

This is for all phones, JohnBoyToo.

Rebecca

In summary, the posters here who have been staying on point with the main issue of this thread are speaking about 2 possibly inter-related issues. Those issues are:

1. Some interaction within the MFT has, for some, caused the fob remote unlocking/locking behavior to go out of whack such that the buttons on the fobs stop working or work different than expected behavior. [I was best speculating that it could be some type of internal memory corruption caused by USB/iPhone operation, which has for me, presented many symptoms of computer memory management issues.]

2. Doing a Master Reset to the MFT also resets the Vehicle Settings from the left side dashboard LCD panel. As a by product of this behavior [also best speculating], that Master Reset also returns the remote fobs that exhibit the problem from point [1] back to normal operation.

Guys, I wanted to thank you for these posts. All of my Explorer’s remotes worked intermittently for months. I took 2 separate trips to the dealer for this, and had them look at it 2 other times when I was getting other work done. They could never create the problem (I’m sure they didn’t try too hard), and to be honest, they made me feel like an idiot quizzing me about RF signals and how far from the car am I when I press the Unlock buttons. To humor me once, they swapped both batteries, but I still kept getting the intermittent pressing unlock doing nothing problem. Can’t fix it if we don’t see it is what they told me!

I’ve been scowling the internet for weeks, and finally came across this thread in this forum. Doesn’t make any sense to me, but I did the master reset to the myford touch system a few days ago, and both remotes have been working as good as the day they were new. At least I know what to do if I get this problem again (but why?) . Thanks again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2014 sport with the 401a package, issue we see just in the last week is to use the unlock button you have to be almost right by the door? the lock works fine and remote start works, it seems like the unlock button is messed up? Now I did have issues with the rear power liftgate locking actuator which if you used it numerous times it would shoot extra amps back into the system causing the dash to loose communication with the radio and climate controls which then you would have no radio and the heat would be blasting. I would have to do a battery disconnect overnight for it to clear. Dealer wanted 530 dollars to repair I found part for 145 and did work myself. I'm wondering if I have bigger problems now with the key fob issue?

Back