Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer 5th Generation Explorer > Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion

Notices

Stock 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer Discussion 2011 - 2015 Ford Explorer reviews, problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications, Ecoboost.

Replacing broken factory fog lights

Old 05-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
RRRoamer
Albuquerque New Mexico
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Replacing broken factory fog lights

Folks,

My sister's 2013 Explorer Sport (very nice ride...) has a broken fog light. We have purchased the replacement light (mom works at a Ford dealer), but when I looked under the front fascia, I couldn't even see the fog light housing, let alone think about removing it. Admittedly, this was just a quick look.

So, the question is this: How hard is it to replace this thing? Do I have to remove the fascia, or can it be done in tact? I'm hoping I can just jack up the front and pull the front wheel and get to it... Any advice from anyone who has dug into this part would be greatly appreciated.
RRRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
LukerDooker
N.E.
2013Limited 301A TuxBlack

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Search on here about fog lights, the posts have some pics too.

from what i read, you need to get behind the wheel, remove the cowl that is closing off the front bumper area, and then access the light housing.
From there you can remove the old lamp & swap it out.
Put cowl back on.
It seems tough to access them - if you had the small front ramps those probably are not going to be enough.
LukerDooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
jamers99
Land O Lakes, FL
'13 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.
jamers99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers99 View Post
When you say the Fog light is broken, do you mean the bulb itself? To access the fog lamp bulbs I had to remove 3 or 4 screws below the fog light under the front corner valance. Then the plastic can be peeled back to give you access to the back of the fog.

I did not have to go in through the wheel area.
I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
RRRoamer
Albuquerque New Mexico
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
I would assume he is talking about the lens since it is the first 'line of protection'.

Peter
The lens is broken. Happened at the 2100 mile mark no less. Which with my sister's commute, meant the 3 week mark...

It looks like that panel I saw with the brief look can be removed fairly easy, then it SHOULDN'T be too hard to get the old housing out and the new housing installed.

I hope. I going to get dressed and give it a try right now, so I should know shortly!

Thanks for the replies and I'll let you now how it went...

Roamer
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
RRRoamer
Albuquerque New Mexico
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...
Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
R1chard
Upstate NY
2013 Ford Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRoamer View Post
Done. That wasn't quite as bit a pain as I thought. I have big arms and hands, so it was definitely cramped, but it's done and the lights work, so all is well.

Given how fast the first one broke, I almost wonder if she shouldn't get a spare just in case. Maybe she was unlucky, but I have a bad feeling about those fog lights...
Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

R1chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
RRRoamer
Albuquerque New Mexico
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1chard View Post
Concerned with getting a fog light cracked (they are glass) I went this route, Lamin-X fog light covers. The pastic film adds quite a bit of strength to the glass and protects it from chips etc.

They are about $15, come in multiple colors (albeit I picked clear) and have an easy application.

http://www.lamin-x.com/

That's not a bad idea. I think I'll go that route if she brakes another one. I'm still hoping it was just dumb luck...
Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
LukerDooker
N.E.

Vehicle Specs

US These do not fit the 2013 Limited, but are nice

These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
R1chard
Upstate NY
2013 Ford Explorer LTD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukerDooker View Post
These are good and thick, color is great (yellow), but do not fit the 2013 Limited.
They say so on the order page on their site.

The fog lights will encounter the worst of the road so a good fit is key.
Trimming the lens cover would work...

But if just putting it on, its too big, tucking it in works but it doesnt look good up close.
Also its not a tight fit if tucking in & eventually moisture will get behind it.

Their install video, however, shows a tech with a removed light,
applying and finishing by wrapping the lens cover down around the edge of the lens.
So when you put it back in its a tight fit, likely would hold up well against water/snow for a long time.
I received a set from Lamin-x that was indeed too big. They seemed meant to the Ford Escape fog lights or an older Ford Explorer. I called Lamin-X back with the correct measurements and same day I had a new set of covers mailed to me no questions asked.

If my memory recalls me correctly I believe the original set they had listed for my car (2013 Ford Explorer Limited) on the website was about of 5 inches diameter.

The correct measurement is actually 3.5 inches and since this episode they have gone ahead and addenda the website to list specific 2013 Limited spec covers.

Needless to say the 3.5 inch diameter covers (now listed on the website) fit perfectly edge to edge without any trim, etc and are pretty straightforward to install.

(I'm not associated with Lamin-X in any way!)
R1chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
LukerDooker
N.E.

Vehicle Specs

US

ho hoo ill be calling them tomorrow...
Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
JETZ
2012 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
When I had the 3M front end clear bra installed, the product was also used on the headlights, and fogs.
JETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.

For sale: 1995 Ranger XLT Supercab - 351W Project Vehicle for Sale
TxRanger351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxRanger351w View Post
This actually seems to be a common issue.

The left fog light on the wife's car shattered on a road trip to Austin back in March. Some of the broken glass was still sitting in the cup, there no other indication of an impact, and I couldn't recall hitting anything. It just shattered. The lamp still works, but I need to replace the assembly. I've searched around and found lots of threads about adding aftermarket lamps, but haven't found any pictures or an IPB of how to get the assembly out.

Can someone point out where that might be? The lower part of her valence/air dam also keeps popping off on both sides, I think there's a TSB for it, but I don't want to take it in until I get the light fixed. Knowing dealerships, they'll say that it was abuse.
For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter

Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Harley#356
NJ
2013 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
get the lamin-x BEFORE she breaks another fog light, at that point the lamin-x won't do any good but prevent the NEXT one from breaking lol.

Just had mine installed along with my 3M ventureshield clear bra, and lamin-x tinted headlight film
Harley#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #16
TxRanger351w
Beaumont, Tx
95 Ranger S/C

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterk9 View Post
For the lower valance coming loose, there is a TSB 11-3-26 LOWER VALANCE COMING LOOSE . I doubt that the dealer will quote abuse regarding the fog light. They are by their very location, prone to being hit by stones and other debris from cars ahead of you.

Peter
Peter,

Thank you for that TSB #. I was actually referring to the valence implying that the dealership would see the broken light and then claim that the valence being loose on that side was from the same incident.

For sale: 1995 Ranger XLT Supercab - 351W Project Vehicle for Sale
TxRanger351w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
QwikEVO
Clovis, NM
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Glass fog lights? Really?

Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.
QwikEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
peterk9
Ottawa, Ontario area

2014 Lincoln MKT AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikEVO View Post
Man, I'd love to meet the genius that decided glass fog lights housings were a great idea...I've had one cracked for a couple months and have drug my feet in getting a new one. Now on my road trip, my other one caught a rock and shattered.

Why couldn't they have made these out of plastic like headlights or any other car with fog lights I've ever owned?

Now $130 later, looks like ill have to go find some fog light protection film before I put them on.
I have moved your post to this thread. Check above posts for a possible solution.

Peter

Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Harley#356
NJ
2013 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikEVO View Post

I'll take glass fogs any day of the week over plastic ones that will dull and haze over time, and chip much easier than glass ones. A big rock will eventually break the glass ones, but they'll hold up better to small chips than plastic ones.

Lamin-x film over the glass, and you should have no issues
Harley#356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
QwikEVO
Clovis, NM
2013 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I've had several cars with plastic fog lights and never had them haze over. If you clean your housings every so often and buff them with UV protectant they'll never haze over.

I suppose if you don't take the time to take care of your exterior, then I can see why you'd have problems eventually.
QwikEVO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: