Automatic Shifter Problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Shifter Problems

chetney

Reaction score
City, State
Flint,mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
The lever on my Colum is complete loose. It will show it shifting gears on the indicator, but not really engaging anything. I can go under the truck and shift the gears manually on the lever below.

I cannot see were the cable comes into the cab too check and see if it’s loose or broken. Any help would be great.
1993 explorer
Auto Trans
Thanks

It's not a cable. Look in the engine compartment where the steering column comes through. There is a ball and socket joint there that has a connecting rod to the transmission. My first guess is that the ball and socket joint is broken.

It's not a cable. Look in the engine compartment where the steering column comes through. There is a ball and socket joint there that has a connecting rod to the transmission. My first guess is that the ball and socket joint is broken.

Thanks. I will check that when i get home if the rain holds off.

That was the issue. Thanks for the help!

Back