install 4.10s, Is my front axle a ford 8.8 also? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

install 4.10s, Is my front axle a ford 8.8 also?

woodco100

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt rare 5 spd 4WD
I am upgrading to 4.10 in my 1996 4.0 ohv, 5 speed, 4 wd XLT on 30s, so I have been reading up on the ford 8.8. Very easy to find 4.10 ring and pinion. Both new or used, open or posi. (if any one has a good source, please post)

My real question here is, do I buy the same R and P for the front axle. Will the plentiful selection or gears out there fit my front axle also?

Should I look for a posi or is open fine for the beach and light Florida woods?

Finally, a link to a thread or you tube vid on doing it yourself would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Woody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it OK to run 4.11 in the front and 4.10 in the rear? Excuse my ignorance, but if some Explorers came with 4.10 from the factory and front and rear need to be the same ratio, why would 4.10 not be available to swap in? Or is there a different year diff I can swap in. I see 4.11 are available for the 8.8. Should I do them on both ends?

Thanks again in advance.

You'd be best off going to a junkyard and finding a stocker with 4.10s. Just a pretty simple front diff swap. Make sure you check for the obvious though.... Leaky seals/ gasket, nasty fluid, etc.

For some reason I remember reading that 4.11s don't fit in the stock explorer carrier, at least not without modification. Not sure if there's any truth to that though...

I agree, a 4.10 diff for the front from a junk yard should easily be found for pretty cheap. then just buy a 4.10 rear ring and pinion and various seals, gaskets, and bearings if there trashed. i just did the same to mine and was pretty straight forward.

Any certain year/model to look for or avoid? Can I assume that the front and rear ratios are always the same? I know how to check the door code for the rear ratio. Did I read somewhere that the Sport models are 4.10?

Easy enough to get the rear end fluid sand seals changed.

Thanks, Woody

If you're gonna be installing gears, I'd say get one of those real comprehensive gear install kits. They include EVERYTHING- carrier/pinion bearings, races, ring bolts, seals, shims, gear paint, brush, and some even have wheel bearings/seals.

Sorry, missed your post.... You need a diff from a 97 or earlier... The later are standard cut, as opposed to reverse. I think 4.10 was an option on 5.0s and sports... Not sure if it ever came standard. Front and rear HAVE to be the same, so yes, unless you get the scraps of some other tinkerer. Just be sure to double check the tag on the diff cover.

I will pay to have it done. There are several good 4x4 shops in town.
Yukon gear makes everything I need at a fair price. I like paying for quality parts and work. If I cannot find used I will buy the parts and have them installed.

I will try the boneyard first. Thanks Woody

Back