Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Under the Hood

Notices

Under the Hood Ford Explorer and Ranger, Engine, troubleshooting, modifications, performance and accessories.

Check fuel cap warning light

Old 11-29-2001, 01:13 PM   #1
soupbone
Hayward,CA
'00 Sport 4WD

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Question Check fuel cap warning light

On the way back from Reno & Tahoe the *check fuel cap light* came on. So i pulled over and checked the cap. Everything looked ok to me so kept going. No fuel leaks or anything I could find. Then the next day the *check engine* light comes on. however everything seems to be fine and it drives normal. Im at 38k miles right now.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 11-29-2001, 02:04 PM   #2
CBoug76
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Explorer
ECX Member
Dracut, MA

1997 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Did you fill up with gas while the Engine was running?

The Fuel systems runs Pressurized. and if the cap is off while the engine is running then you could get this problem. Also your Cap may have leaked some air into the tank while the engine was running, if it keeps happening after you clear the codes from the computer, I would go and get a new Gas cap. this should solve your problem, if it doesn't then you have something else wrong.
CBoug76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:10 PM   #3
soupbone
Hayward,CA
'00 Sport 4WD

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Nope I always shut the engine off. But ill check the cap at lunch time a little closer. Can I clear it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for a few mintutes right? Maybe get a new cap from the dealer down the street then go from there. Hopefully its not something bad.

Thanks CBoug76
soupbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2001, 02:25 PM   #4
sparkyputerguy
Leesburg, VA
'00 XLT 4X4 OHV

Vehicle Specs

I had the same thing happen to my '00 XLT at 500 miles. The dealer accused me of not tightening the cap enough after gassing up, and at the time, I thought it could have been possible.... until it happened again at 6000 miles.

Then I had them check it out again during an oil change and it turns out the cap was defective and was replaced under warranty.

sparkyputerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:06 AM   #5
jimmiecakes
Slave Lake, Alberta, Canada
92 XL 4X4

Vehicle Specs

CAN

OEM cap will probably be your best bet. I've seen a number of <insert big name brand here> caps that can't cut the mustard.

Old 11-30-2001, 02:13 AM   #6
jimmiecakes
92 XL 4X4

Vehicle Specs

CAN

Oops.... almost forgot. The fuel tank evporative emissions system is an important part of the overall emission control system. The check engine light is *most likely* because the ECM has seen persistent failure of the evap system This particular DTC takes more than one drive cycle to set.

Bear in mind that there may be other reasons for the failure - purge valve and solenoid, damaged plumbing, etc. At 38K miles, this should still be covered under the emission controls warranty

Old 11-30-2001, 12:54 PM   #7
Bill Kemp
Elite Moderator Emeritus
Greenville, MI

98 Mountaineer 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

This could also be caused by overfilling (milking) the gas tank. If you fill it to the top some fouls up the evop. system and will through a code. Happens to my brother all the time.

Clones are people two.
Bill Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 01:10 PM   #8
Robert
Mesa, AZ
'97 4x4 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmiecakes
. . .At 38K miles, this should still be covered under the emission controls warranty
Not unless he is in California. Sometime between my '94 Ranger and my '97 Explorer the emissions warranty requirements have changed. On my '97 the only things that have a longer warranty than the standard 3 year/36K warranty are the catalytic converter and PCM. They are covered to 8 years/80K miles. Disregarding the items that Ford has extended the warranty on due to frequent problems (throttle body, camshaft tensioners, etc.)

4.56 Powertrax No-Slip, SOHC V6, SuperChip, K&N FIPK (#57-2513-1), Borla cat-back (#14748), 2" torsion lift, 3" PA body lift (#853), Monroe Reflex shocks, 285 75R16 BF Goodrich T/A ko, 2WD mod
Earnhardt Ford, Berge Ford, U-Haul
My Explorer
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 02:54 PM   #9
jimmiecakes
92 XL 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Not unless he is in California.
Thanks for the note.... I haven't heard if we've had similar changes in Canada.

Mind you, Alberta still doesn't even have anti-tampering laws, yet.......

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page