Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

1995 shift solenoid replacement

Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
Jonathansblack
1995 Explorer XLT,

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
1995 shift solenoid replacement

Hey guys, anyone have any experience replacing the shift solenoid on the 1995 explorer tranny? Mine is out and I've never replaced it. Any advice would be awesome!
Jonathansblack is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathansblack View Post
Hey guys, anyone have any experience replacing the shift solenoid on the 1995 explorer tranny? Mine is out and I've never replaced it. Any advice would be awesome!
What makes you think the solenoid is at fault? Trouble codes? I think you have the 4R44E transmission. My '96 was acting up, I was sure it was the solenoid, bought a new one, still no good. Tore trans. apart, found thrust bearings between clutch sections destroyed.

Wound up buying a reman. from Ford which worked perfectly. imp
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Jonathansblack
1995 Explorer XLT,

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
The whole tranny has been rebuilt down to the torque converter. The only thing that wasn't replaced were the solenoids. With talking to other folks (not on the forum) they seem to think that's the issue. What leads me to believe it is is that when you're driving it and it comes to a stop the rpms go down and the truck dies out. When I explained that to other mechanics they said its most likely the solenoids.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Do you have any trouble codes? You have a 4R55E transmission. It sounds more like the TCC solenoid than a shift solenoid. The shift solenoids are basic on/off devices while the EPC & TCC solenoids are modulated.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
rs2k
Elite Explorer
Wichita, KS
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If your tranny's out then it's pretty easy to test the solenoids for proper resistance. I replaced both shift solenoids on my explorer because they were both out of spec... though I have a 4R70W.

The solenoids on the 4R55E tranny are at the bottom of the valve body and look like they're easy to get to.
rs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Brooklyn is absolutely right: If the vehicle in being brought to a stop in DRIVE causes the engine to die, it's likely the torque converter clutch is not being released, this either due to faulty clutch (not likely), or faulty solenoid. This is exactly the same as coming to a dead stop with a manual transmission without releasing the clutch with the foot pedal. imp
Old 09-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
Jonathansblack
1995 Explorer XLT,

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Let me explain a little more. The o/d light is flashing and when you are driving at say 45 or 50 the tranny will not engage o/d at all that of course is in addition to it dying out at a stop that I mentioned earlier. As far as codes go I don't have any because I haven't taken them to shop to get them read. This is my only form of transportation and I don't really have the ability to just take it and leave it somewhere for them to pull up the codes.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
imp
Missouri Ozarks
2004 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathansblack View Post
Let me explain a little more. The o/d light is flashing and when you are driving at say 45 or 50 the tranny will not engage o/d at all that of course is in addition to it dying out at a stop that I mentioned earlier. As far as codes go I don't have any because I haven't taken them to shop to get them read. This is my only form of transportation and I don't really have the ability to just take it and leave it somewhere for them to pull up the codes.
Places like AutoZone will read the codes for you free. Takes about 5 minutes, if they aren't busy. Or, do yourself a favor and buy a code reader good ones are available under a hundred bucks. Be sure it will read "CAN" protocol. imp
Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #9
BrooklynBay
Brooklyn, NY

88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Sometimes the code readers that the stores use don't always read manufacturer specific transmission codes.
BrooklynBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
rs2k
Elite Explorer
Wichita, KS
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBay View Post
Sometimes the code readers that the stores use don't always read manufacturer specific transmission codes.
Maybe, but it's still worth a shot.
rs2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: