Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2002 - 2005 Explorer Mountaineer 3rd Generation > Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers and Mountaineers. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. Sport Trac and Sport use the 1995-2001 forum.

Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #1
chloedad
Richmond, VA
2004 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Rough IDLE P0172 and P0174 Codes

Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up. A little history about this vehicle....I put a new transmission in the vehicle approximately 30K miles ago and a new (used motor 58K) in it last August (22K miles ago). This motor now has about 80k on it.

I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key.

But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?
chloedad is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
HiImBrian
Elite Explorer
St. Petersburg, Florida

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedad View Post
Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up. A little history about this vehicle....I put a new transmission in the vehicle approximately 30K miles ago and a new (used motor 58K) in it last August (22K miles ago). This motor now has about 80k on it. I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key. But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?
A clogged catalytic converter can cause all kinds of problems like that by increasing the amount of back pressure. This has been a problem for a lot of people lately. Our Explorers are getting to the age where a lot of things start to wear out.

Take it to a reputable muffler shop and they'll check it for free. It can be expensive to replace them. However if you live somewhere that doesn't have emissions testing like I do, you can hollow them out or have them replaced with a piece of open pipe instead. Keep in mind that the "reputable" shops won't do that for you though... "TECHNICALLY" it's "illegal".

As far as the tensioner is concerned, pop off the valve covers and check for slack in the chains. If there is any, you've got another "fun" project.

MMR Stage 2 Heads - Ported Bullitt Intake - BanksPower TransCommand - CodeAlarm Remote Start - Hunter Brushguard - Custom Roof Basket - 3rd Cat Cutout - Straightpiped/Magnaflow Catback - 3" Body Lift - 2.25/1.75 BTF Spacers - F-150 Towhooks - 2" Wheel Spacers - HID's - 265/70/17's - EGR & PCV System Delete - AND MORE!
My Registry: HiImBrian's Beachcomber
HiImBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
redoxy
Elite Explorer
Edmonton, Alberta
2002 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Last week my Explorer began running rough. I had multiple misfire codes (300, 301, 302, 303, 316, etc.) I replaced all my wires, plugs, MAF, and crank shaft sensor. It still idles rough, more so after the engine gets warmed up.I am now getting a P0172 Bank 1 Rich and a P0174 Bank 2 Lean codes. Any ideas. Also when I accelerate hard I hear the timing chain (so thought about changing the tensioner?). As much as I love this vehicle I am about ready to throw it in the river. I had to have the computer reprogrammed a few weeks ago since after I changed the battery the computer would no longer recognize the key.

But any thoughts on what I am getting now with the rich and lean codes?
Rich and lean codes usually are the result of vacuum leaks. They are also the reason why you are getting multiple misfire codes. Before you throw another part at it. Check and make sure all the vacuum lines and intact and there are no leaks.
redoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
chloedad
Richmond, VA
2004 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Is it harmful to drive it like this? Will it harm the vehicle?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
redoxy
Elite Explorer
Edmonton, Alberta
2002 Eddie Bauer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Is it harmful to drive it like this? Will it harm the vehicle?
well for one thing misfiring mean throwing raw fuel into the cat converter which will likely burn it out and will require you replacing it if you continue to drive.
Also your fuel economy will go down with a misfire.
redoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
chloedad
Richmond, VA
2004 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Well, I took it to a more upscale mechanic to have it "properly" diagnosed. Basically they have said that it is something internal on the passenger side of the motor. No leaks, no converter issues.....It is disappointing since this motor only has 80k miles on it.

Suggest this thread to friends: