Resetting the PCM after Repairs are made | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resetting the PCM after Repairs are made

makuloco2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Here is the definitive how to guide to clear all the old bad shifting and idle habits from the defective parts you have changed out. Many times the vehicle will exhibit the same concern even after replacing the part due to old "Learned Value". Take a moment to watch the video and you will then finish the repair job right!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I expect the PCM would still adjust correctly but going back to baseline would maybe get it there faster. Seems to be a lot of contradicting info about whether or not this is true. Would be nice to hear a definitive explanation from someone that actually knows. Ford's service manual does say to disconnect the battery for just about anything performance related. Don't know if that's for safety or for resetting the PCM.

From my '02 owner's manual:

Your automatic transmission electronically controls the shift feel by using
an adaptive learning strategy. This feature is designed to increase
durability, and provide consistent shift feel over the life of the vehicle. It
is normal for a new transmission to shift firmly. This operation is
considered normal and will not affect function or durability of the
transmission. Once the vehicle is at operating temperature it may take
several shifts at the same operating condition for the transmission to
properly adapt. Over time the adaptive learning process will fully update
transmission operation. The more varied the driving habits, speed and
torque, the longer it may take to adapt but the more complete the
process will be.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the
transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the
transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and
will fully update transmission operation to its optimum shift feel.

Because your vehicle’s engine is electronically controlled by a computer,
some control conditions are maintained by power from the battery. When
the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the engine must
relearn its idle and fuel trim strategy for optimum driveability and
performance.

To begin this process:
1. With the vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
2. Put the gearshift in P (Park), turn off all accessories and start the engine.
3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
4. Allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
5. Turn the A/C on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
6. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.

The vehicle may need to be driven to relearn the idle and fuel trim
strategy.

If you do not allow the engine to relearn its idle trim, the idle
quality of your vehicle may be adversely affected until the idle
trim is eventually relearned.

When the battery is disconnected or a new battery installed, the
transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. As a result of this, the
transmission may shift firmly. This operation is considered normal and
will not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time the
adaptive learning process will fully update transmission operation to its
optimum shift feel.

I expect the PCM would still adjust correctly but going back to baseline would maybe get it there faster. Seems to be a lot of contradicting info about whether or not this is true. Would be nice to hear a definitive explanation from someone that actually knows. Ford's service manual does say to disconnect the battery for just about anything performance related. Don't know if that's for safety or for resetting the PCM.
Your missing the point I do actually know how to reset it, I am a Ford tech day in day out, we use a scan tool to reset it though after every repair so it can learn. Replace a solenoid pack on a explorer for harsh engagements and don't reset it see what happens. Reset the memory on a carboned up throttle body and see if it starts. You will then understand how important this is.

Mr. Makuloco,
My Father has an 2007 Sport Trac. V6 4.0l Automatic RWD. Would this be the procedure to try to help with his rough shifts? I'm thinking a re-learn is in order and couldn't hurt. No major work done in the last 30K that we are aware of(bought used). Just recently a radiator and all maintenance is up to date (by me, just a simple DIY'er).(except current software updates) (100K) Does this clear the PCM/TCM/and KAM? His latest update according to the sticker on the PCM is EVU0. I believe this is a few updates behind. Does this procedure reset back to the EVUO or back to the original program when vehicle was new? I realize I should probably just take it to the dealer to update. But, I thought I would give this a try in the meantime.
OR would this other video you did be the only way to reset everything on this vehicle?
Ford PCM Software Reflash Procedure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39IaVoc0EHs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUN467fmgLLlk98JddJLL51w
If this latest video is the way to go should I mention ALL the steps involved(like in the video) to the service writer to better the chances it's done properly or will the tech most likely know ALL the proper steps? You are such a sharp guy. I guess my fear is not all Ford techs are as thorough as yourself.
OR am I way off here and don't know what I'm even saying:)
Any help would be appreciated and thank you again for all the great videos!
(just curious, can you get "in trouble" at work for making these videos?)
Keep 'em coming:thumbsup:

I JUST read your comment in a different thread about getting a PCM update after a radiator change. I am hoping the EVU0 is current enough for the radiator/fan issues? Any chance you could let me know? I'm just guessing/hoping it is because he got 30k on the clock since purchasing and I'm pretty sure it was a OEM Ford Rad i took out of there. It had a 2 inch crack on the very top of the radiator under the coolant reservoir. No blown seems between plastic and aluminum.
Sorry, just trying to give some info that maybe helpful. Not sure. Thanks again
I don't know witch transmission is in this?

Your missing the point I do actually know how to reset it, I am a Ford tech day in day out, we use a scan tool to reset it though after every repair so it can learn. Replace a solenoid pack on a explorer for harsh engagements and don't reset it see what happens. Reset the memory on a carboned up throttle body and see if it starts. You will then understand how important this is.

And you are absolutely correct. I learned the hard way this thing must be reset after a major repair. Your point about the carboned up throttle body is interesting. The computer would adjust over time to compensate for the build up. But if you reset the computer it will go back to baseline, and as you said it might not start. So in some cases resetting the computer will make it run worse for a time.

And you are absolutely correct. I learned the hard way this thing must be reset after a major repair. Your point about the carboned up throttle body is interesting. The computer would adjust over time to compensate for the build up. But if you reset the computer it will go back to baseline, and as you said it might not start. So in some cases resetting the computer will make it run worse for a time.
True only initially though, in all honesty if your throttle body is that carboned or sludged up you vehicle wont start after a pcm reset you just better stop right there and take the time to clean it up like new and then let it learn so your idle trims will be in spec. Not all pcm have the sludge build up compensation strategy yet. Here I show how to clean an electronic throttle body safely.

Mr. Makuloco,
My Father has an 2007 Sport Trac. V6 4.0l Automatic RWD. Would this be the procedure to try to help with his rough shifts? I'm thinking a re-learn is in order and couldn't hurt. No major work done in the last 30K that we are aware of(bought used). Just recently a radiator and all maintenance is up to date (by me, just a simple DIY'er).(except current software updates) (100K) Does this clear the PCM/TCM/and KAM? His latest update according to the sticker on the PCM is EVU0. I believe this is a few updates behind. Does this procedure reset back to the EVUO or back to the original program when vehicle was new? I realize I should probably just take it to the dealer to update. But, I thought I would give this a try in the meantime.
OR would this other video you did be the only way to reset everything on this vehicle?
Ford PCM Software Reflash Procedure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39IaVoc0EHs&feature=c4-overview&list=UUN467fmgLLlk98JddJLL51w
If this latest video is the way to go should I mention ALL the steps involved(like in the video) to the service writer to better the chances it's done properly or will the tech most likely know ALL the proper steps? You are such a sharp guy. I guess my fear is not all Ford techs are as thorough as yourself.
OR am I way off here and don't know what I'm even saying:)
Any help would be appreciated and thank you again for all the great videos!
(just curious, can you get "in trouble" at work for making these videos?)
Keep 'em coming:thumbsup:
At 100k and there is harsh shifting you are likely looking at sticking solenoids in the solenoid pack. Can you explain the shifting issue better, more details? Anyway with the Sport Trac I would get the pcm updated at the dealer to the latest level there have been many calibration updates. They know how to do it. The "EVU0" number you are reffering to is only an identification number the calibration update number is what you need to know I show it in my video when I reflash that escape. Then after the ford dealer updates pcm reset the memory as in my kam rest video and learn idle and shifts too. It would be a good idea to clean the maf and ETB as shown in my videos I put up last night as they can affect shifts more than you think, the torque calculation is based off those two sensors. After all that revaluate. Have you changed the trans fluid and filter and filled with mercon V? I have a video on that and how to set the fluid correctly. There is only a pcm to update on the truck, the v8's have a TCM too. The trans in yours is a 5R55S. As far as the video I do them on down time, or lunch or after work but mostly when we are slow so they don't mind. Plus I don't get paid hourly I only get paid for what I produce on flat rate.

Thanks for the reply!
I haven't driven it in awhile. I will try to get back to you on the exact issues. My Father is bringing it by "the shop" (my car garage:)) tomorrow for me to replace his side mirror/air filter/and brake service. Perfect chance to clean the MAF and TB. A shop did a trans pan drop and filter a little over a year and 1/2 ago. But, that was not knowing when and if it was ever done the prier 70k before purchasing. I will definitely put it on the soon to-do list. I checked the level a few months ago. "They" definitely over-filled. Hopefully they used the Mercon V.
A few issues that I do remember are: delayed shifting into reverse. Maybe also drive. Like It's take an extra 1/2 second or so to go into gear. Also, harsh shifts though all the gears. Not really harsh. Just a lot more noticeable and pronounced. No slipping. Unlike my 03 Sport Trac where I don't even really notice it shifting unless Im thinking about it.
So my plan of attack is going to be to clean the MAF and TB. Then change the fluid soon. Then tell him to go to the dealer to update.:thumbsup:
Thanks again Makuloco!!!:thumbsup:
What part of the country are you. Your accent sounds like Michigan. (My birthplace) My Father lives there every summer(to hot for him in Texas). Maybe have him bring it to ya:)
Anywho, thanks for all your videos and keep em coming. Visit us here on the Explorer forums ANYTIME! Your professionalism and inside knowledge is a great asset to us here.

Makuloco2000, I sent you a private message re: trans issues and resetting the PCM. Please check it out, thanks.

Thanks for the reply!
I haven't driven it in awhile. I will try to get back to you on the exact issues. My Father is bringing it by "the shop" (my car garage:)) tomorrow for me to replace his side mirror/air filter/and brake service. Perfect chance to clean the MAF and TB. A shop did a trans pan drop and filter a little over a year and 1/2 ago. But, that was not knowing when and if it was ever done the prier 70k before purchasing. I will definitely put it on the soon to-do list. I checked the level a few months ago. "They" definitely over-filled. Hopefully they used the Mercon V.
A few issues that I do remember are: delayed shifting into reverse. Maybe also drive. Like It's take an extra 1/2 second or so to go into gear. Also, harsh shifts though all the gears. Not really harsh. Just a lot more noticeable and pronounced. No slipping. Unlike my 03 Sport Trac where I don't even really notice it shifting unless Im thinking about it.
So my plan of attack is going to be to clean the MAF and TB. Then change the fluid soon. Then tell him to go to the dealer to update.:thumbsup:
Thanks again Makuloco!!!:thumbsup:
What part of the country are you. Your accent sounds like Michigan. (My birthplace) My Father lives there every summer(to hot for him in Texas). Maybe have him bring it to ya:)
Anywho, thanks for all your videos and keep em coming. Visit us here on the Explorer forums ANYTIME! Your professionalism and inside knowledge is a great asset to us here.

If you have the delayed engagement to drive and reverse your pcc solenoid is sticking right there for sure. This trans shifts "firm" compared to the older trans design for sure and always has up until 2010 when they did away with it. I live in the Midwest but not Michigan so you are spot on with the accent.

Thank you for the video!!!
Instead of using the jumper cable can I just disconnect both battery cables for 10-15 minutes?

Thank you for the video!!!
Instead of using the jumper cable can I just disconnect both battery cables for 10-15 minutes?
That should work too, this just is the definitive method to full discharge the capacitors for the memory is all.

That should work too, this just is the definitive method to full discharge the capacitors for the memory is all.
Thanks!

Do you know if Ford released PCM update for 05 mountaineer v6?
I called the dealership and the guy didn't know and he also told me that if my truck running fine he doesn't recommend doing update.

When was the last update release date?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh probably years ago by now they don't usually waste time on old generation vehicles.

I called the dealership and they are showing pcm update done on 2011 so I guess I'm good.
Great YouTube videos!!!!

Back