Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 2006 - 2010 Explorer Mountaineer 4th Generation > Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers

Notices

Stock 2006 -2010 Explorers Stock 2006 -2010 Ford Explorer Forum. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Explorer in the snow

Old 12-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
bschnur
2010 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Explorer in the snow

This is my first explorer and coming from driving a Jeep Wrangler, I was surprised at how well my 2010 Explorer did in the snow so far this year. PA has has some decent volume of snow so far and with tires that have about 38K on them I had to problem on unplowed roads. In fact the Explorer seemed to do better than my Jeep did overall, probably due to it being heavier and a longer wheelbase front to back. I was also surprised that there did not seem to be much difference in overall traction between auto 4x4 and full time 4x4.
bschnur is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Flag Gibby
Flagstaff, AZ
2006 Mountaineer AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Yes, they are very fun to drive in light snow. However, when you get into the deep stuff and start hitting the lower valance on the bumper that's when you are going to wish that the radiator was a little more protected on it. I am in the process of making a custom skid plate in that area just for the radiator because I cracked that lower valence off the other day in deep snow and got lucky that I didn't damage/hit anything else.
Flag Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Explorer0204
Upstate NY
04 Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag Gibby View Post
Yes, they are very fun to drive in light snow. However, when you get into the deep stuff and start hitting the lower valance on the bumper that's when you are going to wish that the radiator was a little more protected on it. I am in the process of making a custom skid plate in that area just for the radiator because I cracked that lower valence off the other day in deep snow and got lucky that I didn't damage/hit anything else.
Really?

My 04 (same valance height and frame really) as well as my 02 have gone through TONS of snow with no issues. I have plowed through 15 inches of snow a few days ago to get to a trailer I had in the field and even had to back it uphill in the deep snow and I have never slammed the radiator.

I have done a lot of mudding in the 02 as well and never had an issue. Maybe the design is just different enough but I feel as though your issue may have been a fluke??

Maybe not ours are a little different. Just throwing it out there thats all
Explorer0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Flag Gibby
Flagstaff, AZ
2006 Mountaineer AWD

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
When you are in deep snow you cannot really tell what you are about to drive over, a tree stump, big rock, more of a drop off on one side and not the other, etc.is/was the issue. Look at some of the pictures of the modified 4th gens that go off road and you will notice that the lower valence is missing on them because that small 3" lip is the first thing to get hit before your tires start to roll objects and lift the front end up. The radiator bottom actually sits at the same height of the bottom of the valence but about 8-12" further back. So if you are not clearing that lower valence you are running the risk of taking out the radiator (when driving forward). Reverse is not the issue because the front cross member is so low compared to everything else that it protects the radiator.
Flag Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: