Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > New Members - Photo Gallery- Explorer Registries - Features - Reviews > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions The place for new members to introduce themselves to our family of Ford Explorer enthusiasts Welcome aboard!!

low charge gauge at idle

Old 12-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
SouthernRebel
Conshohocken,PA
1999 Ford Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
low charge gauge at idle

i have a problem with my 99 ford explorer sohc whenever i sit at a complete stop my charge gauge drops to low where i've also noticed my cluster lights dim low and also my headlights to. my alternator was checked out and is perfectly normal charge i just am stuck on this one. but when i take off the charge gauge goes back to center and all my cluster and lights are back to bright and fine. any answers???
SouthernRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
FR-425
Used to be a road here.
Phoenix, AZ.

1994 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Low voltage at idle is either a bad voltage regulator (built into the alternator) a bad battery or very corroded or just plain ugly battery cables.

Oh, and Welcome to the forum!

Old 12-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
SouthernRebel
Conshohocken,PA
1999 Ford Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you and my battery is looking good and my battery cables look brand new and my alternator might be the trouble maker but i dont no i was told it was fine. So what about the low idle when starting up which I've realized unless its part of the SOHC engines ford has in there explorers which might be normal. I feel like when it starts up it feels like theirs not much idle unless i step on the gas and than it seems like it runs and sounds fine but idk this is my first time with Fords SOHC V6 engine so im still getting used to it.
SouthernRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
FR-425
Used to be a road here.
Phoenix, AZ.

1994 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Low voltage will cause all manner of problems with engine performance.

My answer would be the same if you were driving a 2010 corvette or 1965 F150.

Regulator or battery.

There's really nothing mysterious going on here.

We already know the alternator is falling on it's face at low rpm's...It's not dead yet but it's gonna be soon.

your parts store alternator test doesn't really say anything about the regulator except that it is putting out voltage while "unloaded".

A dead cell in the battery requires a more comprehensive test. I recommend Walmart, yes, Walmart to test the battery. They don't have "real" mechanics on duty at Walmart and so they spent a ton of money on an "idiot proof" battery tester machine. It will take about 2 hours for the machine to test the battery. The results come out on paper so the idiots can read it. Nice!

Old 12-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
FR-425
Used to be a road here.
Phoenix, AZ.

1994 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Or you can just skip to step 2.

Replace both and your down the road.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
SouthernRebel
Conshohocken,PA
1999 Ford Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thank you so much i hear so many rumors about vehicles and never no what or who to trust i will def get that alternator replaced soon as i can so we can keep my explorer on the road

Old 12-29-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
SouthernRebel
Conshohocken,PA
1999 Ford Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
btw would you happen to no what size alternator my 1999 ford explorer eddie bauer sohc takes im thinking its going to need a 130...

Old 12-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
FR-425
Used to be a road here.
Phoenix, AZ.

1994 Explorer Limited

Vehicle Specs

Probably the 90 but 130 is available for only $20 more.

Pulley is the same size so no belt issues.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
SouthernRebel
Conshohocken,PA
1999 Ford Explorer EB

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
why is the forum closed for posting

Suggest this thread to friends: