For Sale - 95 XLT 4X4 Modified Trail Rig AKA: The Black Hole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For Sale 95 XLT 4X4 Modified Trail Rig AKA: The Black Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanpaint

It's Always Something!
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
MO MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 & 95 XLT's
Thread closed for now. Lack of interest, and I am just going to hold onto it for now. :)

Due to issues with work, I have to sell this to make ends meat. My loss is your gain. I have countless hours of labor, and 3 times the amount of the asking price into this rig. It has only been used for recreation and hardly any miles put on it since the build started in 2008.

I want to say this before you read any farther. Please remember this is a 19 yr old Hobby Truck in great shape, and very capable, BUT- It was not built for a daily driver. It is also not the rig for your 17 year old kid, to take out for cruise night, or intended for you to take your wife, kids, and the pet cat across country to Disneyland a couple times a year. This is not a NEW vehicle, and it has been modified in many ways. It handles and reacts different than your Mini Van or your sedan. There are certain modifications that you will need educated on, and well informed on how to use, maintain, and care for. This is not a Toy, it has serious modifications that if used wrong, can be harmful and/or fatal to the operator and/or it's passengers.

It was built for mountain passes, overlanding, and mild climbing trails. The concept was to be able to drive it to the destination, and back, without a trailer in any weather conditions. It has just under 20" of rocker clearance, and a foot under the diff/cross member. No sway bars for maximum articulation, but has limit straps to prevent harm to axles. Tires stuff completely with no issues. Front locker is switched on/off utilizing the Ford CAD set up. With the coil over set up, the comfort of the ride is smooth as a car, practically eliminates any body roll when set for street, and gets aprox 22 cruising MPG. The engine was replaced with a 97 OHV, the trans was converted to a manual M5OD-R1 for reliability, the T-case was swapped to manual BW 1354 for the same reason. These units can withstand the high temps much better then the automatic versions.

Body is in good condition. Has some minor trail badges, mostly clearcoat scuffs. Dr rear door has a few small dingers in it. Center of the hood has failing clear coat. Rockers are perfect, with zero rust. Undercarriage is amazingly clean, and rust free.

All U-joints, Hubs, C/V axles, have been recently replaced for peace of mind. I will include 3 spare hubs, and 2 spare C/V axles.

Has a completely new brake system with every component replaced. ABS delete mod with adjustable rear SBCC Prop valve.

Link to the Registry thread here on the forum. Every aspect of the build is in this thread, and all the mods are explained in detail. Have a look when you get the time.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244912

Overview of the rig:
Black paint- Blacked out grill-Camel tan cloth interior- Camel tan carpet- Camel tan trim

4.0LOHV - Manual M5OD-R1 (converted) - BW Manual 1354 T-case (converted) Rebuilt D35 front & Rebuilt 8.8 rear axles.

Engine, trans, t-case, & axles have all been replaced in the last 4 years. Miles do not match the OD. Newer engine has aprox 167K.

Lifted suspension -4" with custom leaf springs & 12" coil overs.
3" PA body lift.

Richmond Lockers front & rear with US 4:56 gears, installed with new master kits.

9 way adjustable rear RSXL9000 & 12 way adjustable front QA-1 coil over Shocks, with 750 LB Eibach coil springs. 750's were used because of additional weight added to the front end from winch, and heavy skid plate armor.

33"x12.5"x15" BFG KM2 W/Kevlar on 15"x 8.5" Alum wheels (no clear coat). I swapped these on recently after the pics showing the 35's. 2.5" HD Pacer flares on all fenders.

Pro-Grade Heavy Duty front suspension parts & Dixon Bros DOM tube LCA cross member for added stability.

Quad wrapped grade 8 HD Limit straps, & extended brake lines.

Tucked under grill, 8500 lb Winch, new, never used for a pull, includes quick remove tag mount, control box relocated in grill with access hole.

Custom cat back all stainless 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust. Sounds great.

Custom frame gusseted Steel tube front bumper. Has receiver tubes for removable limb riser cable inserts (included).
Rear 6" Tube bumper has integrated hitch, D-rings and quick remove lighted tag mount.

Front HD 3/8" steel powder coated skid plate, HD Tig welded frame mounted powder coated 1/4" rock sliders w/nerf bars, 1/4" rear U-bolt & shock skid plates & grade 8 HD U-Bolts, 8.8 RockCrusher powder coated housing cover.

(4) 55w Rock lights, (4) 100w 6" Offroad lights, (2) 4" 80w PIA amber fogs, (2) 55w Back up lights (2) 12" tube rocker under body lights (2) 6" LED bar under body cargo lights, all individually switched in hidden console compartment.

Hidden CB radio in armrest with AUX speaker on B pillar
Aux fuse panel
Cargo mounted fire extinguisher & Maglight
Removable & adjustable cargo spare tire mount
Hand throttle - 500 rpm per click 2-way
High mounted rear camera & dash mounted monitor
HD black floor mats
Roof basket with steel tube cross bars. It has a high lift jack attached, along with the high mount rear view camera, & two 55w back up lights.

Working tinted power sunroof. Clean interior. Power everything.

Remote controlled JVC head unit, Pioneer door speakers (4), Rockford Fosgate 10" subwoofer, dual hidden amps. Loud, clean, & thumps hard.

There is more to this vehicle than meets the eye, and is a serious capable on/off road vehicle. If you haven't read the registry to find out more about this rig, the Bad things are: A sticky lifter that taps for a few mins on start up after it has sat for some time. The A/C needs a can of juice added once a year, but works fine otherwise. There is no safety switch for the starter so it will turn over in gear. This is actually a good thing for me, but for some, they might find it an issue. Rear Dr seatbelt stud mount is stripped, and can't use the belt. It's 19 years old, so that's pretty darn good for the list.

Price just for the forum (listed higher elsewhere) is $4,000.00, no trades, no deliveries. Located in St. Louis, MO. PM me if you want to come look at it.

A few pics, lots more in the registry thread.

20140113_142415_zps4d7824ce.jpg

20140113_142745_zps3b37ea1f.jpg

20140113_142646_zps94abc516.jpg

20140113_142704_zps62236d7a.jpg

029-5.jpg

attachment.php

Spring cleaning pics.

20140311_130902_zps82edd1aa.jpg

20140311_130854_zpsee4825e4.jpg

20140311_130832_zps331ce9ff.jpg

20140311_130822_zps69936b67.jpg

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump!

Pics added. Decided to throw in the sound system as well.

Going to be listed elsewhere tomorrow, get it while you can!! :)

It's a great time to purchase this rig. Spend the winter months putting your own touches to it for spring time expeditions!

Feeling shut in? Getting a dose of cabin fever? Need to get out more?

Tired of getting stuck in the snow or deciding to stay home in bad weather?

This rig is the answer! Self sufficient, and has the tools to power though the weather.

Make some vacation plans, call some friends, make some reservations, and get out of the house! This forum has many great meets at some beautiful destinations. Buy this rig and join them! Some of my best memories involves this forum & those meets. See the countryside that can only be seen with a modified trail rig. ;)

:thumbsup:

Looks like a nice rig, too bad you've got to let it go

God I wish I still lived in St. Louis!! Good luck with the sale!

Surprised it ain't sold yet! Can nobody drive a stick??

Comes with a spare front hub, and spare C/V axles!! :D

In the glove box is the 2 coil over wrenches to adjust the spring rate. :thumbsup:

Keeping those wrenches company is the original owners manual in the zipping cover (is in perfect shape), and also in the glove box. :bounce:

Sale is over, back to the asking price in the first post. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Thats a good deal, I like it! The four door would be easier to get the kids in and out of than my sport. I just financially can't do it right now. Would love to have a 5 speed though

bump for great price. All I got is a 08 YFZ450 to trade, which doesn't do you much good.

Bump with a lower price. :rolleyes:

man if it was a little cheaper i may be able to swing it but cant swing that much... maybe in the next two months ill have the cash up.

man if it was a little cheaper i may be able to swing it but cant swing that much... maybe in the next two months ill have the cash up.

He's also selling the closest thing to a SAS kit you're gonna find

He's also selling the closest thing to a SAS kit you're gonna find

not really interested in SAS dont have the mechanical ability... im pretty good but i dont trust myself that much haha.

if this is still around in a 2 months i will probably jump on it. just not set enough right now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have to admit, even tho you guys aren't buying this rig, your sure a heck of a lot more educated, and nicer than people on other forums. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back