Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2016 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

2.3 head gasket replacement

Old 01-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
scrapper
Maroa Il
1994 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2.3 head gasket replacement

Hi, I am planning on replacing the head gasket on my truck and was doing some reading on different upgrades you can do.
http://www.route66hotrodhigh.com/2300Cams.html
They are saying if I replace the rocker arms on my truck with a 96 I should get better performance. I'm not sure I will try this but cant help wondering if anyone else has tried this?
I was also wondering if it would be better to take my head to a machine shop and get it hot tanked and checked for cracks? Anything else I might be forgetting? I will have to wait for a little warmer weather before I do it. I'm not getting anti-freeze in the engine so I'm not in to big of a hurry. Thanks for any extra info.
scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #2
colintrax
Georgia
97 XLT and 91 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Nm, cam followers. lol
If you got the money yeah take it to a shop, but I don't think the 2.3 is prone to cracking heads

colintrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
scrapper
Maroa Il
1994 ranger xlt

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
I can clean it at home but was thinking these heads are prone to cracking and thought it may be better to have it looked at by a shop. I am thinking they can be repaired if they are cracked. I remember someone was selling heads on ebay that were repaired, you had to send them your core. I am going to try to smooth and match the gasket on the intake side, and maybe just try to match the gasket on the exhaust. I can give them a poor mans valve lap, learned how along time ago. It is just a DD, but dont want to dump to much money in it. That is why I'm asking.
scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends: