Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations"® > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer Audio & Navigation

Notices

Explorer Audio & Navigation Audio and navigation systems. CD, DVD, MP3, GPS, Video, Mobile Computer, Speakers, Amplifiers.

Speakers not working

Old 12-21-2001, 12:29 PM   #1
Trapper14
Horseheads, NY

91 xl 2dr

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Speakers not working

for some reason all my speakers arne't working tweeters, 2 pairs of pioneers....

when I turn on radio or cd player all I get it a quick sound out of the speakers that sounds like power going to them, but no music coming out. I am hoping my bottle jack didn't hit my factory ampfilfier, but it seems to still be receiving power, any ideas? Thanks

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 12-21-2001, 04:16 PM   #2
mikeymed8
MA
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Sounds like you have a short in one of your speaker wires. The + and - on any speaker could be touching or one of them is grounded to the chasis. I would disconnect the speakers one by one from the amp and see if your sound returns. Don't get me wrong, it could be something else, but that's my idea.

Good luck,
Mike

-MKW MK9 20" rims (this spring)
Click here to see my Explorer
mikeymed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 09:16 AM   #3
Trapper14
Horseheads, NY

91 xl 2dr

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
at least its a start! well I was wondering I have a 50x4 watt deck could this power my speakers, and would or could I bybass my amplifier|?

Old 12-22-2001, 09:50 AM   #4
jebdrup
Plant City, Fl
'92 XL

Vehicle Specs

Talking Factory Amp

I don't know what sound system came with your X but I have a 92' XL and my did not come with a factory Amp. Your jack is on the drivers’ side and if you have a factory Amp it will be on the passengers side but I don't think you have 1. I could be wrong. Your speaker problem sounds to like a bad ground. I took the factory system out last weekend. I hope this helps.

Polk Componets 6.5rear and 5.25front/ Jenson 4100
MTX X-over
HU DEH-P3300
My X was free and in awsome shape.
jebdrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 01:43 PM   #5
Kontrol-Trak
Los Angeles, CA
95' EB 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by Trapper14
at least its a start! well I was wondering I have a 50x4 watt deck could this power my speakers, and would or could I bybass my amplifier|?
If you have a stock amp, definately bypass it. Even though your deck only puts out about 13watts x 4 RMS, your sound singal will be cleaner.
Kontrol-Trak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2001, 03:49 PM   #6
nosaj122081
Fairmont, WV
'97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by Kontrol-Trak

If you have a stock amp, definately bypass it. Even though your deck only puts out about 13watts x 4 RMS, your sound singal will be cleaner.
Yeah, I'd definitely bypass it, you could actually be overdriving the amp and causing it to shut down (don't know if the factory amp does, most aftermarketers do)... With the factory amp hooked up, you're just going to start amplifying the noise from the head units amp, and it is gonna sound dirty.

Old 12-22-2001, 11:13 PM   #7
Trapper14
Horseheads, NY

91 xl 2dr

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
|I fixed problem! one wire got insulationg stippred off and was grounded to chassis! problem fixed, but how do I go about bypassing the amp, I believe it is the thing on drivers side by the jack compartment, its looks like a small amplifier....

Old 12-22-2001, 11:16 PM   #8
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

i had the same problem with my right side speakers.... they were old and the connectors managed to loosen themselves and only come on at startup or potholes/speedbumps....new speakers and no more connectors solved the problem.... the connectors were the problem not the factory speakers but i decided since the door panels were off why not replace the speakers

Old 12-23-2001, 11:58 AM   #9
mikeymed8
MA
'94 XLT

Vehicle Specs

That's what I figured. Sounds good that you fixed it

-MKW MK9 20" rims (this spring)
Click here to see my Explorer
mikeymed8 is offline   Reply With Quote